Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
In March of 2024 my wife and her research team are heading to Edinburgh for a 4-day conference. Normally these conferences take place in some US city that I have no interest in visiting, but a trip to Scotland is a different matter entirely. We plan on extending our trip for a few days so we can tour Scotland. During the four days of the conference, I’ll be on my own looking for things to do and see. So, my question to my UK brothers and sisters is what is their to do in Scotland in late March for a hunter, bush-crafter, and golfer? Are there any hunt opportunities that time of year in the UK? Are any of the British Open course playable in late March? Are there any 3-4 days tours from Edinburgh you would recommend for me and my wife.

Of course, a get together with my UK brothers to share our love of hunting and the outdoors over a pint or a dram would be great.

Thanks for all your help,

You absolutely must see John Dickson & Sons Gunmakers.

Also visit Lochness.

If you like good steaks & Sunday roasts & gourmet wild game dishes, then visiting Porter & Rye is an absolute must.

Last edited:
You absolutely must see John Dickson & Sons Gunmakers.

Also visit Lochness.

If you like good steaks & Sunday roasts & gourmet wild game dishes, then visiting Porter & Rye is an absolute must.
Thanks for the head up on John Dickson & Sons, I'll be paying them a visit.

I dont live in Scotland anymore, but I used to and might have a few suggestions. There are a lot of good historical guided tours of the city including and whisky tours if that interests you. St. Andrews is about an hour and a half north and worth a visit even if you don't play a round, nice little town, lots of good pubs. If you are looking to play you probably will not be able to play the Old Course but there are other courses you can play.

My understanding is John Dickson & Sons is no longer located in Edinburgh and is now in Perthshire. If you went for a visit you could see the edge of the highlands. As for hunting the female Roe Deer hunting season is through 31 March. I hope that helps.

Only roe does are in season in Scotland in March I believe, but if your happy to travel south there is plenty fallow, muntjac, Chinese water deer, roe, sika and reds to have a try after. PM me if you interested in a hunt down south

In March you can hunt male deer of any species and roe does in Scotland. It isnt really the prime period of the year but stalking can still offer challenging sport. Some estates will continue to only cull male deer in and around the traditional season but some may move to year round stalking. There has been a recent change in legislation that has removed the closed season for all male deer in Scotland that is quite controversial to say the least. There are some truly magical places to see and I am sure that you will have a great time. St Andrews is clearly the epitome of golf in Scotland but there are many other courses that you could consider but I know virtually nothing about the game so best seek advice elsewhere. There are many outstanding estates who could accomodate you for a days stalking if you wished. You could look for the websites of Atholl Estates, Winston Churchill Venison and Country Sports Scotland who may be able to help.

Good Luck Art! Sounds like a great trip with just a little bit of luck on your part.

Only roe does are in season in Scotland in March I believe, but if your happy to travel south there is plenty fallow, muntjac, Chinese water deer, roe, sika and reds to have a try after. PM me if you interested in a hunt down south
@Stalker91
That sounds like an offer @Shootist43 would love. I haven't met him but have spoken to him a lot of times and he's a fine gentleman.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.