Help me figure out a rifle

Swampbilly1231

AH member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a rifle that I can shoot deer in N America and possibly an elk but mostly deer as well as plains game in Africa. I’m open to most anything but leaning towards a 7mm RM or .275 Rigby (7x57mm) if I’m not mistaken. I am stuck between them and I have asked everyone I know and I’m still stuck. So I’d love to hear whatever y’all’s opinions are!
Thanks in advance,
Swampy

PS I have a shoulder that isn’t to great so that’s why I’m leaning towards a smaller rounds.

I’ve shot big animals up to and including kudu and waterbuck with the 7mm Remington mag (154gr. Hornady) and up to roan with the 30-06 (180gr Sako hammerhead) I haven’t shot an elk but see no reason they wouldn’t work on one but with that being said if I do ever go on an elk hunt I will probably take my .338 Winchester mag.

7x57mm is my personal favorite.
IMG_1215.jpeg
IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg

.30-06 Springfield is also excellent (with a wider selection of factory loaded cartridges available off-the-shelf).
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg

I’ve successfully used both calibers to make one shot kills on plains game as large as bull eland. But the .30-06 Springfield with 220Gr bullets is preferable for bull eland, compared to the 7x57mm Mauser.

7x57 any day of the week based on your two to pick from. And the 7x57 will be easier on the shoulder.

The 3006 suggestion is a good one too.

Edit: My reasoning for the 7x57 over the 7 mag is purely nostalgia and preference. The 7 mag is a fine round, I just personally don't have the need for speed that is granted by the magnums. Either will kill critters dead.

Last edited:
Of the 2 you mention I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag as much as I hate to pass on the 7x57. For most Africa hunting there is no practical difference between them but for hunting the Western U.S. the 7 Mag has the edge. I have shot many animals in South Africa and deer and elk in the U.S. with it.

I would also recommend you strongly consider the .30-06. There is no practical field difference between the recoil and performance of it vs the 7 Mag. I have gone from someone who saw no need for a .30-06 to someone who owns a few.

The 7 Mag was my first centerfire bolt rifle and will always hold a dear place in my heart as such.

Of the two you mentioned, I'd lean towards the 7mm. It seems to me, in my part of the world, that ammo is fairly common for the 7mm, and it has a nice range of bullet options.

I also don't think a .308 is a bad idea, based on your parameters and for the reasons I mentioned above.

Deer and elk are easy to kill with even a 243, under ideal conditions. A well-placed shot from a good rest on a calm, and exposed animal will certainly do it. Problem is, animals and conditions don't always cooperate. Once that bull of a lifetime turns and heads for the woods, the 243 will feel a bit small... That's when a 300 with a 180tsx becomes your preferred rifle. No matter your choice, good luck, and have fun!

I love 7x57 and I too have shot larger animals with the caliber. My last elk was shot at 75 yards and my last bear was shot at 450+ yards with a 7mm RM with great success. I do personally prefer the 300 WM with a little heavier bullet but with more recoil. I am sorry but not a 30-06 fan but very versatile caliber.

7x57 has light recoil but less velocity and energy than 7mm RM. I would choose the 7x57 for close shots in the African bush and a 7MM RM for open country Western Elk Hunting. But either caliber would work. There is not a wrong choice in any of these calibers only personal preference.

If I had a shoulder problem, I would not hesitate to use a 7x57 with a 165 or 173 grain bullet for Elk, Kudu, Wildebeest, etc. I would though use a 375 H&H for Eland, Giraffe, dangerous game, if I had shoulder issues.

I have more metal in me than most new cars. :LOL: Right shoulder repair x2 and hardware in my neck.

I have been shooting 2-3 times a week these past few months playing with loads in my wife’s 275 Rigby and my 30-06 Highland Stalker. Noticeable difference in recoil between the 2 cartridges for me. I don’t even wear a PAST shooting pad with the 275. There is nothing I would shoot with the 30-06 that I wouldn’t shoot with the 275.

Safe shooting

I HAVE HUNTED WITH THE 7MM REM MAG EXCLLENT ROUND WITH 160 GRS AND 175 GRS HEAVYIER THICKER SKIN ANIMALS BUT I HAVE NOICED BETTER BULLET SELECTION AND AVAILBLE AMMO FOR MY FAV 300 WIN MAG YOU CAN USE THE 150GRS AT3400 FPS FOR THOSE ACROSS CANYON OPEN SAGE SHOOTS AT MULE DEER ANTELOPE OR YOU CAN GO TO THE EXCELLENT 180GRS FOR BIGGER ANIMALS LIKE ELK AND EVEN MOOSE AND INCULDING PLAINS GAME IN AFRICA INCLUDING KUDU ELAND EVEN BIG CATS IWHT EITHER 180-220 GRS AND YES THE AMMO IS MUCH MORE EASILY AVALIBLE INCULDING AFRICA .
AS MATTER OF FACT IM USING MY R8 300WIN MAG 180 GRS FOR PLAINS GAME KUDU ELAND AND MAYBE A LION IF GOOD DEAL I LIKE THE NOLSER PARTITIONS 180 OR WINCHESTER SILVER TIP THE NEW VERSION BOATTAIL I RELOAD IT AND GETTING CHRONOGRAPHED 3200FPS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PenneyWilk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.