wayne1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Big Game Rifle Club Brisbane Queensland Australia
Hunted
Australia
G'day from Down Under.
I recently purchased a Ruger African in 9.3x62. I took it out to the range yesterday to test fire it. I've owned many rifles over the 30+ plus years that I've been shooting, even a Brno 602 in 300WM, but man didn't this rifle kick me about.
I've got to admit that the rifle only weighs 7.75lbs and it has been some time since I have been shooting, but this thing kicks a little bit harder than my old Brno.
Having said all that has anybody out there got any suggestions in taming the recoil. It's a great rifle and calibre and I would like to master it.
Any suggestions from our experienced bretheren?
Thanks all
Wayne

Check into limbsaver. They have a recoil pad that should help some. I am sure there are others as well.

Check into limbsaver. They have a recoil pad that should help some. I am sure there are others as well.
Thanks RickB I'll do that. I'm probably just a whimp, but I'll definitely get in some serious practice.

Wayne

Welcome to AH.

Check out a kick ezz pad...very good and go with the 1 1/4 inch one.

have you glass bedded the rifle? if not do so.

Add some weight to the rifle. You can add lead to the forearm and but stock by drilling and placing a few ounces in both locations. Make sure you seal the wood when doing any work to help prevent stock bending and warping.

Mercury recoil suppressor, it helps.

Thanks James. I had an inkling that adding weight might be the right thing to do, but I never though of glass bedding the rifle. I'm hoping to get to Africa soon. I have never had a holiday in my life and I'm 57, except for taking a week off here and there and visiting relative. Thanks again for the help mate.

Mercury recoil suppressor, it helps.

You beat me to it Eric...

I have never owned a rifle with a mercury suppressor system in it, but my shogun does have one, and it makes for an easier day of shooting.

Welcome to AH Wayne! These Guys have all given you some good advice the only thing I can add is if all else fails have it Magnaported that takes the kick out of about anything my 300 Win Mag is Magnaported and my 120lb wife loves to shoot it can't reload ammo fast enough.

Thanks Bob. Yes I agree, all good advice and I will follow their comments.

Hi Wayne1

Though I am not a big fan you can alway's slam a muzzle break on there it blows your ears out but should help with the recoil.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Wayne,

Good stock fit will help with the recoil. We come in all shapes and sizes but the rifle manufacturers build the same stock for each of us.

Unfortunately without having a custom stock built one of the few dimensions easily changed is the length of pull. Assuming you are right handed an easy check for length of pull is to hold the rifle with your right in the position you would normally shoot with your finger on the trigger. With the muzzle point upward, place the butt of the rifle in the crook of your elbow. It should fit snugly. While not the perfect way to check LOP it will get you in the ball park.

A good recoil pad will help.

If your rifle balances well now, a mercury tube in the stock will effect that. At 7 3/4 pounds I would not add much weight to a 9.3 by 62. You will have to carry it way more than shoot it.

How much of your shooting is done from the bench? Once it is sighting in and a good load is found, leave the bench. Practice offhand, kneeling, leaning against a tree, make a set of shooting sticks.

How are you holding the rifle and what is your stance like?

Make certain the rifle is in the crook of your shoulder not out on the arm. Hold the rifle tight front and back. My cheekweld is solid on the stock. Take an "aggressive" stance. If you are right handed place your left foot where your left heel is about as far forward as your right foot toes. My feet are about 8-10" apart. Also try to square your shoulders to the target a little more than when shooting a small bore. Bend you knees slightly, lean slightly forward, and roll with the recoil.

My first big bore was a 416 Remington in a Ruger No. 1. I shot it four times and put in the gun cabinet for 10 years because it "kicked" too much. When I decided to go to Africa I had to learn to shoot it. After changing the recoil pad and learning how to shoot a big bore it was easy to shoot 30 or more rounds in a single session.

IMO for the most part muzzle brakes and mercury suppressors just tend to hide a problem and not solve it.

I totally agree with Mike.
Make sure the stock has the right length for you with a good quality recoil pad like the Limbsaver and learn how to shoot the gun well.

Thought about it Louis, but it was the last thing on my mind. I've been near guys with that thing, and it isn't something that I would put a PH through.Know what I mean. Thanks For the Thought Louis.

Mike, tried length of pull; it's good. I think you're right that practice is the only sure solution. I'll try that stance you described, haven't tried that yet. Once again Mike, Thanks Mate.

Wayne1 LOL thanks for saving the Ph's ears!

Mike gave you some really good advice.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

I had a mate that I took out to the range. It was his first visit and had only just got his licence (he was a novice), and he bought this 7mm mag Remington with a muzzle brake. I had heard about these muzzle breaks and the noise they could transmit, so a stuck plugs in my ears and muffs over top. After 3 shots the range officer told us to leave the range. The report was that bad, let alone the concussion off the tin roof.
Some 2 weeks later I took him out to a property to get some more practice and got him to unscrew the brake. The rifle did recoil a little more, but we didn't get the effects of the muzzle blast. For the life of me I don't know why he bought that calibre for his first firearm. When asked he said, "I wanted something big to impress my girlfried." What a dork. Needless to say I didn't take him out into the field shooting with me with a mental aptitude of a mental midget. He'd be dangerous. So it was the report of the rifle with the brake that cured me of those devices. I think I'll just keep training and master the weapon the way you all have suggested.
Thanks Louis.

I had a mate that I took out to the range. It was his first visit and had only just got his licence (he was a novice), and he bought this 7mm mag Remington with a muzzle brake. I had heard about these muzzle breaks and the noise they could transmit, so a stuck plugs in my ears and muffs over top. After 3 shots the range officer told us to leave the range. The report was that bad, let alone the concussion off the tin roof.
Some 2 weeks later I took him out to a property to get some more practice and got him to unscrew the brake. The rifle did recoil a little more, but we didn't get the effects of the muzzle blast. For the life of me I don't know why he bought that calibre for his first firearm. When asked he said, "I wanted something big to impress my girlfried." What a dork. Needless to say I didn't take him out into the field shooting with me with a mental aptitude of a mental midget. He'd be dangerous. So it was the report of the rifle with the brake that cured me of those devices. I think I'll just keep training and master the weapon the way you all have suggested.
Thanks Louis.

My wife shoots a .270 with a brake and it is all she can handle for recoil. I will suffer through the noise and worse the dust cloud in the eyes when shooting prone if that is what it takes to get her out.

I think the crowd on here would be a hard one to convince that a 7mm mag is a big heavy recoiling rifle. Plenty of small guns promoted on here as well as 416s, 458s and the like. They all have thier place.

Hi Diamondhitch. Thanks for your input. You'll probably agree with me that we are influenced by our own experiences that we have in life and thus directs us in the direction we should go. I fully respect what you are saying. My wife will shoot, but she can't stand going to the range because of the overhead roofing. She is uncomfortable by the reverberation of sound off the metal cladding, but she will shoot out in the open. She has even fired my old 602 brno in 300wm without fuss and enjoyed it.
It is an opinion expressed through experience, nothing more. Many Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg