Headed to South Africa in Less than a Week... Ebola Concerns?

Just saw the doc who actually gave Dr Brantley the experimental serum that saved him state on the news, " ebola can live for several days on blood or clothing". So much for the "weak virus", that wont survive a trip across the room. Would you be willing to bet your life on what you said earlier Code4? I would not.

I agree Scott, there is something to be said for contact precautions. I will sit back and let this play out, but you are right too, the disease could change coarse and mutate into something else. Ebola could change with a different genetic population, it's entirely possible. You see a sickness or disease transform over the years and doctors and nurses for sure don't know everything...things are always changing. I think we would all be better off if we could contain the source of Ebola.

I've heard all this before about Aids and HIV.

I kinda rate the Ebola thing to the way people view money. I know plenty of people that have a $250000 home and $50000 in the bank and two vehicles and they consider themselves poor. On flip side I know people that work and live paycheck in a apartment that feel fortunate. Every one has a different opinion:love:

Reactions: lcq
I've heard all this before about Aids and HIV.
Well I guess if you heard it all before you are unwilling to hear anymore and therefore unwilling to learn anything else about something we actually know little about. The stories keep changing on this and anyone that just blows it off as nothing is a fool. I didn't think you were a fool...just sayin.

I can't figure for the life of me why we are letting West Africans come to the U.S..............

Sadly, it's rooted in politics. Since this is a hunting forum I'll just leave it at that.
Its OK as long as its in the right place. Granted this kind of got jacked a bit. Oops! But yes it is a lot of politics. It may all be tied in with the admins plans for amnesty for illegal aliens (right after the November elections). After all if we don't let West Africans in, and we shouldn't for a while at least, then how come the southern border is so porous and how can you not let them in and say its OK to declare amnesty for all the others? Oy!

While there seems to be little chance of infection outside of contact with body fluids, what concerns me is the two cases in the US were of health care providers - who may or may not have been following the correct and full protocols. If they were following the protocols, does that mean it can be transmitted via another route?

RSA imposed travel bans right away, way smarter than us in Canada or the US. Politics and political correctness will be our downfall

With the 2nd case of Ebola reported today in Dallas I believe there is reason for concern. We are still looking into hunting in SA/Namibia in 15/16, but we will monitor the situation. With the lack of security and safety flying into/out of Africa I believe there are valid concerns and this could possibly hurt those interested in hunting in Africa in 15/16. We would only travel direct via US/Atlanta to Joburg - would not even consider stopping in Dakar, etc. I feel for the outfitters and would not underestimate the concern and potential magnitude of this situation.

Best Wishes,

dt

Yes unfortunately for all who plan to go or who work there looking for hunters to come. Unbelievably the 2nd nurse who is infected was told by the CDC!!!! that she could fly commercial even though she had a FEVER and known to having been exposed to Ebola!!!! So guess what? Everybody on the plane and every body they came into direct contact with is a potential victim. CDC guy came out later and said "on no she shouldn't have been on a plane at all". NO SHIT!:mad: Really? And still they run out this ridiculous line about how not allowing people to fly here from affected countries will somehow make it worse! When it gets pointed out to this CDC moron the idiocy of his statement he just doubles down and gets defensive. Some of this is just ridiculous!!! You know they must be getting worried now because our fearless leader, the Bamster actually canceled a demtard fund raising trip!!! Oh My!!:eek:

Just watched SABC AFRICA. South Africa has sent staff and are manning a Ebola treatment centre in west africa.

The interesting take away is that the Ebola virus is under control in Congo, where it started.

Apparently the spread is due to poor control measures. (US nurses, and African medical staff)
This is good news. Let's hope this is the start of the end of this thing.

For all the texans wanting to escape EBOLA , come to Southern Africa. We are still Ebola free and have had travel bans and screening since this thing started.

Two possible benefits of the ebola out break for Americans.

1. American hospitals are pretty lax when it comes to infection control. A number of people die every year from infections they pick up in the hospital. (A 35 year old relative of mine died this year from mrsa he picked up at a hospital.)

American hospitals will probably do a better job of keeping the hospitals clean and infections down. Thus saving lives.

2. Americans will start learning the geography of Africa. As ebola spreads, their knowledge will expand as well. In a year some Americans may be able to pass a sixth grade geography text.:rolleyes:

All the best.

Yes unfortunately for all who plan to go or who work there looking for hunters to come. Unbelievably the 2nd nurse who is infected was told by the CDC!!!! that she could fly commercial even though she had a FEVER and known to having been exposed to Ebola!!!! So guess what? Everybody on the plane and every body they came into direct contact with is a potential victim. CDC guy came out later and said "on no she shouldn't have been on a plane at all". NO SHIT!:mad: Really? And still they run out this ridiculous line about how not allowing people to fly here from affected countries will somehow make it worse! When it gets pointed out to this CDC moron the idiocy of his statement he just doubles down and gets defensive. Some of this is just ridiculous!!! You know they must be getting worried now because our fearless leader, the Bamster actually canceled a demtard fund raising trip!!! Oh My!!:eek:

Well the CDC incompetent used to be former NY mayor Bloomberg's medical guru. Speaks volumes

Yeah its amazing how many people thing Africa is a country!!

I would never insult anyone's inteligence by telling them that there is no reason for concern over this Ebola situation.... Obviously, this is very serious illness leaving lots of questions unanswered. Folks are concerned, and rightfully so.... As with most things in life, common sense and education of the facts will go a long way in making your travel decisions to any destination, let alone Africa.

That being said, it would appear that it is statistically more of a risk to travel to within the U.S. than South Africa right now. Back in August, the South African government imposed a travel ban on any international flights arriving from Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. While this is not 100% effective in keeping infected individuals from getting into any country, it is a much more definitive action than anything the U.S. is currently doing. The fact that the South African government is more proactive in anything than the U.S. government is a sad fact in itself, but that is another discussion.

My wife and I have plans to hunt South Africa in 2015, and I have absolutely no reason at this point to change my plans. The 2015-16 hunting seasons are a long way off and a lot can happen in that time frame.....Should the situation change to a serious, viable threat at that time, I'm certain that any reputable African outfitter would offer reasonable options for their clients with deposits. I can assure you that Limcroma will work with clients in any way necessary to accommodate their plans and address their concerns. Client safety is always the top priority for us, and that will never change under any circumstance.

Well the CDC incompetent used to be former NY mayor Bloomberg's medical guru. Speaks volumes

He also used to be................a community organizer.

The entire administration has their heads WAAAAY up their asses. As well as the dipchit from the CDC. The excuses they give for not restricting travelers to the US from ebola outbreak countries is insulting, but sadly the media and worse of all the citizens don't hold them to the carpet for what they are or in this case aren't doing.

Let's send more armed service men and women to the region, they've been trained for this sort of thing their entire lives.:mad: and why we're at it, we'll have the CDC jackoffs blame the nurses for everything. Because the nurses surely don't know what the chit they're doing.

Maybe the Queen Michele should take the family to Liberia for another educational trip to Africa. I'll buy the airfare.

Interesting read on news24 if Congo and Senegal can get this thing under control. Then it's not as bad as they are making out

Geneva - Senegal is officially free of Ebola with the benchmark of 42 days passing without any new cases, the World Health Organisation said on Friday.

But the country is not out of danger, given its location in Ebola-hit West Africa and proximity to the worst-hit countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea, it said.

"WHO officially declares the Ebola outbreak in Senegal over and commends the country on its diligence to end the transmission of the virus," the UN health agency said in a statement.

Senegal's only confirmed Ebola case was a student who travelled by road from neighbouring Guinea - where the outbreak began in December - who crossed the border just before it was closed on 21 August.

The man, who had had contact with an Ebola patient in Guinea, was confirmed as having the highly contagious and deadly disease on 29 August.

Thanks to rapid care, he recovered by 5 September, and returned to Guinea two weeks later.

But Senegal could not be declared officially Ebola-free until two full 21-day incubation periods of the disease had elapsed.

"Senegal's response is a good example of what to do when faced with an imported case of Ebola," WHO said, lauding the government for having "reacted quickly to stop the disease from spreading".

Senegal's response plan included identifying and monitoring 74 close contacts of the patient, prompt testing of all suspected cases, stepped-up surveillance at border posts and nationwide public awareness campaigns, the UN agency underlined.

WHO also dispatched a team of epidemiologists to work alongside health ministry workers as well as medical charity Doctors Without Borders and the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

Case finding

"Senegal has maintained a high level of active 'case finding' for 42 days - twice the maximum incubation period of Ebola virus disease - to detect possible unreported cases of infection," WHO said.

"While the outbreak is now officially over, Senegal's geographical position makes the country vulnerable to additional imported cases of Ebola virus disease," it warned.

"It continues to remain vigilant for any suspected cases by strict compliance with WHO guidelines," it added.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross