Hawk Bullets opinions

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,573
Reaction score
9,969
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Hey folks, has anyone had experience with these bullets? Would love to know how they did on African animals but any experience would be appreciated.
 
I have taken one cow moose with a 400 grain .411 Hawk round nose with my 400 Whelen. It exited leaving a 1.5" exit wound. Wound channel was substantial without much bloodshot. I'd use them again and in fact am carrying the Whelen again this year with 350 grain Hawks as well as a 10.75x57 with 350 grain Hawk bullets hoping for a poke at a bear.
 
I have taken one cow moose with a 400 grain .411 Hawk round nose with my 400 Whelen. It exited leaving a 1.5" exit wound. Wound channel was substantial without much bloodshot. I'd use them again and in fact am carrying the Whelen again this year with 350 grain Hawks as well as a 10.75x57 with 350 grain Hawk bullets hoping for a poke at a bear.

Hi Pheroze and Marty,

I was going to chime in that Hawk bullets are popular here in Alaska with the Wild Catters, particularly in various .40 caliber cartridges for some reason.
But Marty already beat me to it, since he has one lol.
All I can ad is that Hawk bullets are available in more than one jacket thickness, according to the size and bulk or, lack thereof, common to the species you intend to hunt.

If I ever get a .404 Jeffery, I'd like to have Hawk make me up some thick jacketed 300 grain semi-spitzers for non-dangerous game hunting (2600 fps).
Such would duplicate the old original .404 "plains game loading" that is long gone now.
(Too bad Woodleigh does not make their excellent Protected Point Soft in 300 gr for this cartridge and the 10.75x68 as well).

I've not heard any complaints about Hawk bullets but for my dollar, I'd go with the thick jacket versions for large things like zebra, eland and such.
And in .40 caliber, if the jacket is too tough to allow much expansion on small ines like duiker, it's not likely to make very much difference.

Cheers,
V. Dog
 
Thanks guys. I like how Hawk caters to the obscure chamberings. They claim a proprietary process to hold the bullet together that is not bondingo_O. I was skeptical but didn't find any negatives online, so I might give them a shot (so to speak:D)
 
I just had some loaded in the .411 caliber for a .400 H&H I had built. I loaded both the 350 grain and 400 grain. I am using this rifle for a lion hunt in late April. Cup and core with decent expansion for thinner skinned animals ought to accomplish what I need this bullet to do.Really like the old Woodleigh Weldcores but these aren't an option anymore...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,256
Messages
1,569,898
Members
168,772
Latest member
RSCChristi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top