Has anyone hunted Africa in boots like Danner Bull Runs or Red Wings?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,

I've used uninsulated Danner Pronghorns. Worked fine.

The Danner boots seem fine, but maybe a tad bit heavy for hiking all day.
Most of the Red Wing boots I've seen run along the same lines.
Keep in mind how much walking you expect to be doing a choose accordingly.
You can talk to your PH about what to expect on a hunt.

Whatever you choose to wear...a few good tips.

Keep them light and comfortable.
Broken in is always better than new.
Gore-Tex is usually not a requirement.
6-8" height is more than enough with good ankle support.

I like the Rocky S2V Tactical Military Boots.
1613674829739.png

The Danner boots seem fine, but maybe a tad bit heavy for hiking all day.
Most of the Red Wing boots I've seen run along the same lines.
Keep in mind how much walking you expect to be doing a choose accordingly.
You can talk to your PH about what to expect on a hunt.

Whatever you choose to wear...a few good tips.

Keep them light and comfortable.
Broken in is always better than new.
Gore-Tex is usually not a requirement.
6-8" height is more than enough with good ankle support.

I like the Rocky S2V Tactical Military Boots.
View attachment 389681

They look like a real pain in the ass to put on and off....

I'd say the Danner Bull Run moc toe 6" would work well. Not too tall, moc toe is a plus to me for comfort, soft enough sole to be quiet on stalks. All leather will keep thorns and seeds out but they could get hot. My first PH in Nambia used all leather boots all day long, so that's your call there.

Otherwise I'd make sure they're broken in and possibly track down some gaiters to go over the top to keep out rocks and such. Boyts makes canvas ones they call safari gaiters.

I’V worn and will wear Danners, one pair is the 452 and the other is a model I do not recall name. Both were well (very well) broke in. The other pair then the 452 is an 8” boot.
I have a pair of Courtney’s ,and I like them but either pair of Danners are lighter and better arch support.
Danner for me!!

the sole of the Danner's I used were too hard-made too much noise and the stiffness not required. Kenetrek Desert Safari uninsulated/waterproof wore 2 different pr in different safaris and the feet were perfect at day's end (not the case with other boots.) Sock selection is just as important....

I have used Danner USMC RAT boots in Africa. They were pretty comfortable but heavier than my Russell's moccasins.

1613691407729.png

the sole of the Danner's I used were too hard-made too much noise and the stiffness not required. Kenetrek Desert Safari uninsulated/waterproof wore 2 different pr in different safaris and the feet were perfect at day's end (not the case with other boots.) Sock selection is just as important....
Danner makes a lot of boots. These are the Bull Run moc toes. Is this the same sole you are referring to or were yours different. These look softer than many of the Danners I've worn for work.
15564.jpeg

I wear Red Wing 608s everyday, everywhere. I have ran a mile in 5 minutes 46 seconds one time. I walk up to 5 miles a day in them.
I will say I am very used to all the ankle support, almost too much.
For me, it’s all about what you’re used to.

Has anyone hunted Africa in boots like Danner Bull Runs or Red Wing?

Danner makes a lot of boots. These are the Bull Run moc toes. Is this the same sole you are referring to or were yours different. These look softer than many of the Danners I've worn for work. View attachment 389699
These were the types. Look thorn proof and I find anything with waterproof membrane too hot. I figured if you can wear then for work for 10 hours, hunting should be ok too.

Danner makes a lot of boots. These are the Bull Run moc toes. Is this the same sole you are referring to or were yours different. These look softer than many of the Danners I've worn for work. View attachment 389699
those look like a retro boot that i wore as a 10 y/o in the 1970s! :) Thx for sharing (got a nail through the sole/foot diving into hay piles in a big old barn.) I'm thinking the Kenetreks are just a few light years ahead (really!) The above do look soft (and they will take on water when you cross rivers/streams/mudholes-the Kenetreks are ALL waterproof).

kenetrek-boot-ke-420-saf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been wearing Danner Jackal GTX 8" boots last few trips. Very light, and holding up well.

Both should be fine, I’ve yet to face a task that a pair of Red Wings couldn’t handle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdellStarn

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.