Has anyone built a custom .375 H&H rifle based on a MRC 1999 PH action?

FlowHamed18

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi

It might be possible that I could grab a new MRC 1999 PH action.

Do you think building a .375 (probably a H&H or a .376 Steyr, just for the Austrian flair) is a good way of using that action?

ph-sliderimg.png

I already own a .404 Jeffery, which is a) the top level of my personal recoil tolerance and b) my designated gun for buffalo and above with some extra bang compared to the .375

Thanks for your help and thoughts on this.

If your gunsmith is happy with the action I think it would be a great build. But my MRC action was quite poorly made and would not eject nor feed without a lot of gunsmithing expense. Mine was a short action magnum in 300 WSM.

My 375 is a custom based on a Winchester M70 action. I basically bought a new Safari Express in 375 H&H and just used the action & bottom metal only. It is a gem! I also think that retained value wise you will be better off with the Winchester action.

With my experience I would never buy another MRC. Here in Australia they are very hard to sell on the second hand market.

Having said that I also have another LA MRC1999 in a 30-06 imp and that action was great and the rifle is super accurate and feeds & ejects perfectly. ( But the scope mounting holes were off)

Would you accept odds of 50/50?

Better solutions around!

Well my .404 is a MRC Long Action. The feeding is superb... therefore I had them in mind...

In fact I don't need a .375 at all, it would be just for fun. But the package has to be the right one. So I could use it in Europe too...

Thanks for your answer!

What’s the difference in the PH action? I just bought a 300 WM like the picture you posted that was sold as a 3.6” action, mag box, and follower. My plan is to build a custom 375 H&H on it. I should receive it around the end of the week.

I’m about to build a 470 Capstick and a 404 J on MRC actions, I have several MRC rifles and have been very happy with them all.

Hi

It might be possible that I could grab a new MRC 1999 PH action.

Do you think building a .375 (probably a H&H or a .376 Steyr, just for the Austrian flair) is a good way of using that action?

View attachment 550331

I already own a .404 Jeffery, which is a) the top level of my personal recoil tolerance and b) my designated gun for buffalo and above with some extra bang compared to the .375

Thanks for your help and thoughts on this.

That's a very nice action. I wouldn't use it on a 375HH only because the effort to do so is the same as larger calibers, but the residual value of the gun would be less. 375HH rifles are common, so supply is ample.

That action was destined to be something uniquely large bore by its design. The most valuable largebore calibers (due to short supply) are 500J and 505 Gibbs.

If it were me, I would build a 500J and then make loads that make the recoil pleasant for you. A 50 cal sending a bullet at 1950 FPS is quite lethal on things up to buffalo/bison, but has no recoil. A standard Jeff "full load" at 2550fps is a beast. There is plenty of room for middle ground here, especially a 500 Jeff loaded to 2150FPS which is PLENTY for elephant and WAY less recoil than a full load.

I believe the one I am getting is the long action, not the PH. Thanks for the link to the other thread.

If you are getting an actual PH action, I believe the 375 is too small for the bolt-face. The PH action was built for cartridges with rim diameters .579 and up......375 is .532. Montana built 375s on the long action, not the PH action.

New here, and an old thread, but the .376 Steyr was known for being perfect to build on the MRC Short Action, or Intermediate Action as they called it. I know because I bought all the parts to build one, action, barrel, stock, and never did it, still sitting in boxes in the safe...

I always thought the .376 in a rifle like that or an intermediate Mauser would be a really cool gun. Brass availability is probably what held me up the most. Now I have a standard MRC 1999 and all the parts to build a .375 H&H.

I bought brass, got the barrel from MRC, Warne mounts and a Zeiss 1x, got a beautiful wood stock from whoever was making then for CZ when they were using the MRC actions. I just need to find someone with a .376 reamer to put it together...

376 Steyr is effectively a dead cartridge now. Hornady has stopped offering brass for it. They are now offering only loaded ammo, with very spotty availability. A good friend of mine had a 376 Steyr built on an M48 action a number of years ago. It has become logistically impossible to feed. He is making plans to rechamber to 375 Ruger, which is a much better option.

The 376 Steyr was a cool cartridge, with an interesting story behind it. Unless you just want a rifle to hang on the wall, don't waste your time with it.

I have never personally even seen an MRC short action. Best info I can find says it has a 3.125" magazine length. You only need to get to 3.3" to comfortably run a 375 Ruger. These numbers are squarely in intermediate action length territory. Your action should easily accommodate a 375 ruger with some fairly minor modifications.

Good to know, thanks. Now to find someone to do the work....
Yeah, the Steyr OAL is 3.11, just fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaDias2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning