Handgun in South Africa

JHC-II

Reaction score
I hunt RSA very regularly. This year I would like to use my scoped kimber for a plains game hunt in KZN. I've tried sending saps a email about pre clearing a handgun, but the system is rejecting the emails. This says to me the email address is now toast. Does anyone have a new email address from SAPs for pre clearing a handgun.

Many thanks,

James

Reading the SAPs protocol in the other forum SAPs say I have to be approved 21days prior to entering country. I usually just show up with my paperwork pre done and sign in front of SAPs officer, so that is where my confusion is coming into play. Further in the import gun thread there was a email addy provided to contact SAPs just trying to be proactive before I apply for my export paperwork and of course ATT to the airport. I've got a few months so panic is not setting in yet.

@JHC-II let Henry at Rifle permits help you. You may wait a long time to hear back from SAPs

dont believe semi autos are allowed in africa for hunting,unless things have changed.

I believe @edward is correct, no semi-autos for hunting.
I just got back 2 days ago from SA and hunted with my handgun, but it is a revolver. I was assisted by Travel with Guns and www.riflepermits.com and pre-approval from both SAPS and Emirates was required.
My recollection was 30 days prior, but it could be 21.
Hope that helps...

Shame no one on the forum has a clear cut answer to this. I've seen a semi used before. However that's not to say yes or no with changing RSA law

check with your outfitter,he will know.you can not bring any semi auto fire arm into south africa.period.even a shotgun has to have a special permit.unless things have changed since 2014.

Last edited:
Reading the SAPs protocol in the other forum SAPs say I have to be approved 21days prior to entering country. I usually just show up with my paperwork pre done and sign in front of SAPs officer, so that is where my confusion is coming into play. Further in the import gun thread there was a email addy provided to contact SAPs just trying to be proactive before I apply for my export paperwork and of course ATT to the airport. I've got a few months so panic is not setting in yet.

With talk about a ATT I take it your from Canada, you may not need a ATT to the airport. When I phoned they told me my LATT would cover it. I would phone and check it out just to be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.