Gun Packing for SA - 2 guns in 1 case vs 1 gun in 2 cases?

glgardnerjr

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Heading to Zim through SA for a 10 day buffalo hunt. My first safari. Bringing my son, 20 years old, with me.

My question is this; should I put both my 404 Jeff & my 375 H&H in one case (Currently have a Boyt case for 2 guns and a Tuffpack I can use) or should I put one in one case and the other in another case so I have less of a chance of getting to Zim with no gun?

Bringing the 375 H&H as my plains game gun and that way if something happens to the 404 Jeff I still have a buffalo gun.

Also, I understand that my son can't bring a rifle assigned to him because he isn't 21 but what about ammo? My plan is to put ammo in his packed bag so we can bring over the 11 pound airline limit. Anyone think that's a problem? Seems to me the airline limit has nothing to do with what SA or Zim says I can bring in to the country, but then again I'm not positive on that.

Should have added. I'm flying Delta from Houston to Atlanta and then direct from Atlanta to Joberg.

Heading to Zim through SA for a 10 day buffalo hunt. My first safari. Bringing my son, 20 years old, with me.

My question is this; should I put both my 404 Jeff & my 375 H&H in one case (Currently have a Boyt case for 2 guns and a Tuffpack I can use) or should I put one in one case and the other in another case so I have less of a chance of getting to Zim with no gun?

Bringing the 375 H&H as my plains game gun and that way if something happens to the 404 Jeff I still have a buffalo gun.

Also, I understand that my son can't bring a rifle assigned to him because he isn't 21 but what about ammo? My plan is to put ammo in his packed bag so we can bring over the 11 pound airline limit. Anyone think that's a problem? Seems to me the airline limit has nothing to do with what SA or Zim says I can bring in to the country, but then again I'm not positive on that.

Chance is better controlled by
Ensuring there is enough time between flight connections.
Stay over a day in Joburg a day to allow bags to catch up, just in case.

I'd do one case. It's just easier.
Extra Baggage charges are another issue.

It is a air carrier regulation on the amount of ammo.
However, Permits for Ammo and Firearms are on the same form.
If he can't have a firearm in his name.....

My wife and observers could not carry extra ammo for me.

Pack 2 rifles in your Tuffpak...

All Ammo goes in your checked bag.

South African law does not allow for non hunters (your son) to have ammo in his luggage.

With out a rifle your son is considered a companion tourist.

What he said! :)

South African law does not allow for non hunters (your son) to have ammo in his luggage.

Good to know since as far as TSA is concerned, as long as the baggage claim has both travellers name on it, it is OK.

Good to know since as far as TSA is concerned, as long as the baggage claim has both travellers name on it, it is OK.

TSA is an American Government Agency. Only responsible for US Laws!!

As far as they are concerned anyone can jump on a plane with ammo and run around the USA as long as the safety limits are not exceeded.
Ten rifles of the same caliber, no problem. I would not suggest landing in Joburg with your entire 3775 collection. :)

It's the airline and the person carrying that ammo that will be in contravention of the law where they land/ arrive.
Hence all those transit permits I keep acquiring.

TSA is an American Government Agency. Only responsible for US Laws!!

As far as they are concerned anyone can jump on a plane with ammo and run around the USA as long as the safety limits are not exceeded.
Ten rifles of the same caliber, no problem. I would not suggest landing in Joburg with your entire 3775 collection. :)

It's the airline and the person carrying that ammo that will be in contravention of the law where they land/ arrive.
Hence all those transit permits I keep acquiring.

This sucks with international flights charging so much for a second bag, I just want to scream RAPE when I look at the 2nd and 3rd bag charges. If you cant use your wifes 1st cheap bag and have to pay for it yourself you donate that much more to greedy airlines. That is one reason I love using a travel agent, mine always makes sure I have 2 free checked bags for no charge.

Hadn't thought through the Permits for Ammo on the Ammo & Firearm form negate my son from being able to bring it in. Flying a private charter back out from SA to ZIM so waiting on the next plane not a problem and I already have some extra time built in.

Tuffpak vs Boyt or Pelican. I bought the Tuffpak but can't get comfortable using it vs the others. Sides are thin so even with clothes stuffed around it and being in Boyt soft cases it just seems to me the gun is better protected in the others from being banged around. Any thoughts???

I pack my tuff-pak rifle's in soft case.
weight wise:
Tuff-pa --- 17.5 lbs
Rifle & s.c. -- 11 to 12 lbs
Back pack-- 2 lbs
This is right at 40 lbs
Put both rifles and soft cases in barrel down. Place soft cases so that you can remove rifles from soft case for inspection. Check that you can do this.
Remove rifles from s.c.
Pack your back pack have some small items it.
Put rifles back in soft cases.
Now items will need to be put in grocery store plastic bags so they will not move around this protect the rifle.
Put in shoes
put in your jacket
Put in your knife if you take one.

Using the above packing format my rifle has not lost zero on any trip.

I pack my tuff-pak to 49 lbs. and it is full.
rifle slides out without having to dump the contents on the floor to get to your rifle.

Hadn't thought through the Permits for Ammo on the Ammo & Firearm form negate my son from being able to bring it in. Flying a private charter back out from SA to ZIM so waiting on the next plane not a problem and I already have some extra time built in.

Tuffpak vs Boyt or Pelican. I bought the Tuffpak but can't get comfortable using it vs the others. Sides are thin so even with clothes stuffed around it and being in Boyt soft cases it just seems to me the gun is better protected in the others from being banged around. Any thoughts???

Great advice by 'James.Grage'.

I purchased a Tuffpak case in the mid 1990's. The sides may look flimsy, but the angular design configuration of the case keeps the contents very secure and free from damage. Mine is one of the original cases and its withstood many domestic and international trips along with all the incidental and intentional damage the baggage handlers have dished out. I can only imagine that with the improvements the cases have received over the years they must be even better today. I pack mine in just about the same way 'James.Grage' suggests and have never had any sort of problem.

Good hunting to you!

If you're using SAA on a flight originating in RSA don't forget to look into SAA's policy that ammo must travel in its OWN bag and cannot be in your regular checked baggage.

We flew into Johannesburg August 2013 from Dulles USA with ammo in our checked baggage. When we were leaving RSA for Namibia we were told that our ammo had to have its OWN bag. This caused a scramble, to say the least. Note that we were not charged for an extra bag.

Note that we were not charged for an extra bag.

I haven't had that problem. I always have a locked ammo box in my checked luggage with no problems.

At least they owned that decision by not charging for the extra bag that THEY created.

I haven't had that problem. I always have a locked ammo box in my checked luggage with no problems.

At least they owned that decision by not charging for the extra bag that THEY created.

You may have checked your baggage straight through? I failed to mention that we received our bags in RSA when we arrived and left for Namibia the next day. That is when we got into trouble.

Returning from Namibia was an entirely different story. We did not stay over night in RSA, did not receive our bags but had them checked through straight to USA. Our return trip did not require us to have a separate bag for the ammo as it was checked through and in control of the airline the entire time.

I pack my tuff-pak rifle's in soft case.
weight wise:
Tuff-pa --- 17.5 lbs
Rifle & s.c. -- 11 to 12 lbs
Back pack-- 2 lbs
This is right at 40 lbs
Put both rifles and soft cases in barrel down. Place soft cases so that you can remove rifles from soft case for inspection. Check that you can do this.
Remove rifles from s.c.
Pack your back pack have some small items it.
Put rifles back in soft cases.
Now items will need to be put in grocery store plastic bags so they will not move around this protect the rifle.
Put in shoes
put in your jacket
Put in your knife if you take one.

Using the above packing format my rifle has not lost zero on any trip.

I pack my tuff-pak to 49 lbs. and it is full.
rifle slides out without having to dump the contents on the floor to get to your rifle.

I used a Tuff-Pak during my last trip to Zimbabwe. I did what James advised above: Put your rifle barrel down in the soft chase so that when you open the lid of the Tuff-Pak you can merely unzip the soft case and remove each rifle for inspection. You don't have to take the entire soft case out - just slide the rifle up and out. The Tuff-Pack also enables you to bring a soft case for the vehicle and local rifle transport, a cleaning rod and your shooting sticks. Weight permitting, you can also throw in clothes, shoes, etc. As mentioned above, you can't pack ammo with the rifle (for SA, at least).

On the subject of a "soft case", I'd get one that's a bit heavier walled for purposes of protecting the rifle when it's on the rack in the Landcruiser (and from careless trackers, etc.). I had my 375 in a Murray's Custom Leather rifle case. It's a bit heavier but did an excellent job in protecting the rifle while on the truck.

Going to revive this thread for some slightly different info. For the record I am taking two rifles. I have already submitted paperwork to Bruce via Gracy travel in SA. I own a two gun boyt case and a single rifle pelican case. I am taking two detachable scopes for my .375 wby-I included them on my 4457.
If I pack both rifles AND the extra scopes in the boyt case it weighs over 50 pounds. So the question is: Is the weight a problem, or should I put those scopes in my carry on?
Or should I take two rifle cases and have my wife drag one while I drag the other this keeping weight down-just dealing with extra rifle case.
We are flying delta, salt lake to Atlanta the. To jo burg. Spending one night there, then on to port Elizabeth. I know how to pack ammo and deal with that so it is not an issue. Thoughts?

To answer your puzzled looks, main target is eland and will use the .375 with 1x6x24 leupold (thanks Warpig) 300 gr bullets. Then Switch to 235 grain Barnes tsx and the leupold 3.5x14x50 for other plains game.
second rifle is .30-06 with similar scope but non detachable. I am aware the risks of switching scopes and ammo etc and not worried. I also shoot the .375 better than the -06 off sticks. The -06 was grandpas, can’t take him so I’ll take his rifle as next best thing. Hoping for kudu, lechwe, black wildebeest, bushbuck and the four colors of springbok. -and whatever the land offers up and the ph feels is of age and size!
image.jpg

Chance is better controlled by
Ensuring there is enough time between flight connections.
Stay over a day in Joburg a day to allow bags to catch up, just in case.

I'd do one case. It's just easier.
Extra Baggage charges are another issue.

It is a air carrier regulation on the amount of ammo.
However, Permits for Ammo and Firearms are on the same form.
If he can't have a firearm in his name.....

My wife and observers could not carry extra ammo for me.
Exactly right.

@Firebird
Just my humble opinion, but there is no way I would ask my wife to drag a rifle case. Things can (and do) go sideways - and she could be on the hoof for much further than planned for.

Won't the 235s kill an eland? (KISS).

.30-06 would kill the eland Or the .375 could kill the other stuff. When you go to the sandbox you take your toys.
Ill do simple on another trip but I do understand and respect your opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg