Grumpy knifemaker

The stupidity of it is that the wood is impervious to anything getting in to it or it from infecting anything else. They simply refuse to understand the word innert. It is as unable to infect anythng in our ecosystem as steel is.
@Von Gruff
The stabilized wood is a lot like a beaurocrats brain. Thick and nothing can get in let alone out.
They just can't understand simple things.
Bob

@Von Gruff
The stabilized wood is a lot like a beaurocrats brain. Thick and nothing can get in let alone out.
They just can't understand simple things.
Bob
I will ring them monday and talk to the MPI head of department for bio security rather than the air freight people that have been in contact so far and the exporter plus the stabiliser will do the same and hopefully between us we can show them that it is as harmless as a politicians promise. Got some top notch blocks in there and just got word that a trial shipment of very nice stabillised Karelian pine blocks from the Ukraine has arrived in country so hopefully they do not suffer the same indignity

In fairness to the Customs people, sometimes the fault lies in their interpretation of the regulations, but more often than not, the fault lies in the politician who made the regulations/laws and the inflexible way they worded them. If the legislation lays down a ban or prescribes particular permits, the officers can't simply approve something just because they think the laws are unreasonable. They have no choice.

On the other hand, I have met too many who get their kicks by imposing their own personal agendas and abusing their powers.

In fairness to the Customs people, sometimes the fault lies in their interpretation of the regulations, but more often than not, the fault lies in the politician who made the regulations/laws and the inflexible way they worded them. If the legislation lays down a ban or prescribes particular permits, the officers can't simply approve something just because they think the laws are unreasonable. They have no choice.

On the other hand, I have met too many who get their kicks by imposing their own personal agendas and abusing their powers.
Sadly interpretation of the legislation happens all to often.
I've worked in regulatory services andsny interpret and apply rules incorrectly.
Sometimes well meaning people don't understand or read it as it intended.
Some are to ignorant to listen to others regarding the interpretation as they think they are right.
With a bit of luck this can be sorted. Perhaps it would be beneficial if Gary looks into the appropriate rules and regulations. They could be online, they are in Australia.
If you know and understand the appropriate legislation it could be handy when you do speak to the right people. You might be able to talk th around if in fact they are wrong. They well might be bit it's a delicate conversation to explain this and further more have them understand.

Quote "They well might be bit it's a delicate conversation to explain this and further more have them understand."

I had a lot of trouble in Australia exporting items & was dealing with a "New Australian from Deli" & in one coversation I slipped & said "you are being very Anal" well that didn't help & the whole thing had to be done again & I only had a couple of days, I rang the head office & lucky the manger was a Old School Aussie & he said no problem I'll fix that up right now & did !!

These New guys in our departments is not helping & I think one of the reasons things are getting harder week by week, as I take note of the names & hear the accents when I'm talking to them !!

I work for a big mainstream workshop and have ordered some parts from our supplier (Germany). The parts (bolts needed to carry out the repair) are lying 2 weeks in customs already and not being released for what ever reason. Can you imagine how that client is fuming at us for not finishing his vehicles repair.

If you know and understand the appropriate legislation it could be handy when you do speak to the right people. You might be able to talk th around if in fact they are wrong. They well might be bit it's a delicate conversation to explain this and further more have them understand.
I know that our bio security people have regulations in place to protect our country so anything that may bring in disease is prohibited but there is no way the spalting in these blocks can cause any downstream problems as it is thoroughly pressure infused with the resin then baked. I have been cought with an early shipment of buffalo horn needing to be fumigated but that was only a $25 cost and would be happy if they wanted to do this but I cant even imagine how they could think to treat these blocks and how that could mount up to over $250.

Biosecurity in Agriculture on a state level one regulatory role I worked in. I have no experience with import or customs.
I do believe however well meaning people including authorities do misnterpret legislation.
I'm not against rules but assuming the bone is sterilised or otherwise inert as Gary says. What's the problem?
If it has to sit in a customs warehouse for a month in "Quarantine" that's fine if you know in advance you can plan.

The only other plausible option I see is for Gary to set up a "Go Fund Me" page to travel to Africa and source some bones.
Have them packed in with his trophies and in about 2 years time he will have them imported with his African trophy, maybe the turn around would not be to long on a Giraffe skin.

At the rate you lot order knives he might not have time for travel he's always posting the latest products and dispatch.

Finally some good news yesterday. I spent "some time" on the phone to head of department and found that they wanted to know the heat and time of heat for the process that the stabilisers use and if it was up to thier requirments they would release the package of blocks. They need 158F for 7 hours so that is easily surpassed but both Jason (wood guy) who dries imitially at 200f for 20 hours and the stabilisers woth do a 24 hoursheat to cure the resing that have been pressure infused at 4000lb so with that data sent to the head of department here the package will be released for delivery. Jason will get that information on a company letterhead and zerox a copy to go with every shipment now so that should be the end of problems in that regard.

Great that the problem with the wood seems to have been resolved
I suspect that a similar approach may apply to your Giraffe bone shipments (if the problem is a CITES issue rather than quarantine). From my reading they have recently been added to the CITES Appendix 2 list. As such they need a export permit from the country of origin. Effectively the document stating they were acquired legally and sustainably etc. Talking with your Department of Conservation and your Customs people and work out what the process needs to be. Unfortunatly I suspect it will only be of use for future shipments. The other problem is that as the rules are designed around international trade, its possible that you may be able to import for the local market but have dificulties exporting to other jurisdictions.

I wish you good luck with this. To me making use of the whole animal is a big part of the ethics and sustainability of hunting.

I received a knife from Von Gruff a couple days ago. It is a nice knife and I had never owned a custom knife from a New Zealand maker.

I'd buy another one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stewartsDucky

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber