AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Been a run of circumstances lately that have me gritting my teeth in annoyance and frustration. Going to have to be some changes on my website in next few days.
Will have to delete the giraffe bone as that has been a very expensive lesson in the vageries of the customs people. They have got downright ruthless over the last six months and there is no understanding thier lack of understanding or talking sense to them either even with cites clearance from Africa and the US
First shipment of bone was held up and doubled the price it cost to get past inspections but I thought I would return the cost with ongoing shipments that would spread out the cost but that proved to be wrong as one package was "lost in transit" and two have been confiscated so that is the end of the Giraffe bone with the last two knives with it as scales shipped being a Safari knife and the A H EDC both sent last week .
Two weeks back I have had to re-order a "lost in transit" package with a large lot of belts and resin ivory handle scales that I had been waiting on and over the last few days have been in discussion with customs that a shipment of STABILISED handle blocks of beautiful wood have been held up and even after an explanation of what stabilising consists of they have decided it needs treating for black rot which is the spalted blocks so many of you like.

Authority Conditions:

Importer to advise MPI of decision to treat at FPT4, reship or destroy for suspected black rot.

MPI sticker # 120525
The wood cannot be cleared until it is either treated which will incur a fee of $250NZD upwards, be reshipped back to the sender OR destroyed.

Please advise how you would like to proceed –

I am simply going to have to increase my prices as I can not keep covering these losses in transit or fees due to import restrictions adding to the cost of the materials.

Not the best way to end the week.

Balls..

So sorry to hear that.

Once again the Government is doing their utmost to put small business out of business with ridiculous compliance costs.
The stupidity of it is that the wood is impervious to anything getting in to it or it from infecting anything else. They simply refuse to understand the word innert. It is as unable to infect anythng in our ecosystem as steel is.

Bugger I had a heap of Giraffe leg bones I manged to grab off the guys before they made morrow bone soup out of them thinking to bring them back for knife handles but I didn't as I had too much weight last trip !

Those guys are getting more crazy on each trip, was easy 5 years ago, last time I lost my Hippo Tusks, Caracal Skull - skin & my best Monkey skull !

Now need to kill them all over again, how is that helping ?

A suggestion
How about Australian wild camel bones
Would those bones be a reasonable substitute ??

That was some thing I to was thinking a while back, the leg bones are not as big but still might be enough, if you have picked up any Camel bones you will know how extra heavy they feel so must be very dense, hence why I couldn't have the heavy Giraffe bones in my bag as they must be dense to ?

Still maybe hard to get them in from Aussie any way ?

Put out a request on AH for us hunters to get you some camel bones
I suggested that to you some years ago actually
Next substitute I can think of
Camel bones are big or maybe an Australian buffalo bone
Just trying for you Garry

It's just nonsense, beuracracy and ignorance.
You have every right to be a Grumpy knife maker.
If it helps I could post some Aussie timbers but they might get quarantined. Grrr,
Mine would not be of the quality of the timbers you source but I'm a proud Aussie and the Kiwi mob are our best neighbours and counterparts.
I have my Custom Von Gruff knife and I watch Gary's postings.
You are welcome to use the spare blocks I sent over. I have my knife , the blocks came from something some sentimental connection but if they end up in the hands of forum members I would be pleased to help.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Bureaucratic BS. So frustrating!

Are there no "experts" or maybe a lawyer that can state your case for you that they might listen to?

So many times they'll not take our word for it but if someone speaks to them that they deem an expert, it could loosen the ropes some.

Just thinking out loud.

Best of luck.

Sorry to hear this Von Gruff, your knives look excellent. I guess there are two parts to this in choosing a replacement - the suitability of the material obviously, but also the allure of it. Something obvious like giraffe bone or buffalo horn ticks that one nicely, but since you are from NZ what about something quintessentially NZ, like giant red deer antler? I would be happy to own such a piece.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Bureaucratic BS. So frustrating!

Are there no "experts" or maybe a lawyer that can state your case for you that they might listen to?

So many times they'll not take our word for it but if someone speaks to them that they deem an expert, it could loosen the ropes some.

Just thinking out loud.

Best of luck.
They had the exporters email to contact and I have sent them links to the stabilisers with the home page sowing that the process has the resin infused at 4000 lb pressure then baked for 24 hours. The wood is as innert as a block of plastic so they are willingly ignorant. There is no way they can treat it that can have any effect

Why stabilize with K & G?

K & G is the leader in the industry when it comes to stabilizing with over 30 years of experience. We are the original custom stabilizers for the knife industry. K & G has two different chemical solutions to stabilize with depending on the hardness/denseness of your material. A thinner solution is used to ensure penetration on materials such as ivory, horn, stag, bone and any hard or oily woods. Our thicker solution is used on woods that are softer and less dense. The thicker solution will make your original piece of wood double or nearly double in weight therefore providing a more durable piece of material to work with while bringing out the true luster of the figure in your wood. K & G’s process is done under pressure up to 4000lbs. This ensures full penetration of your wood/material. After your wood/material has been impregnated it will be cured for at least 24 hours. At this point your wood/material can be worked on whether it is a knife handle or some other application.

Sorry to hear this Von Gruff, your knives look excellent. I guess there are two parts to this in choosing a replacement - the suitability of the material obviously, but also the allure of it. Something obvious like giraffe bone or buffalo horn ticks that one nicely, but since you are from NZ what about something quintessentially NZ, like giant red deer antler? I would be happy to own such a piece.
The red der antler is a substitute as is cammel bone but for so many of the membership here it is Africa that calls so the quintencial African compliment had been the Giraffe bone or buffalo horn. I can also get in other horn and bone but I am sad to see the last of the Giraffe bone. I have a couple of smaller pieces left that can be used for accents etc but full length handles are sadly a thing of the past the same way that ivory now is, although I can get resin ivory that is a very close look and feel to the real thing

From my work years ago Red Stag antler is too soft & with huge pith/core, some of the Asian Deer have tougher antlers & Sambar was the go to Antler world wide & I supplied a few guys in the old days .

I think one was Chamberlin in Alaska he made & swapped me antler for the most awesome knife but went against my request & hollow ground the blade & I put a little buckle in it first time out when I had to cut a walking stick for a injured hunter !

If the antlers are large enough (And some are) Rusa is close, Sika can be but not many are big enough from NZ, the antlers I got from Hokkaido would be close but I have none spare to cut up ?

If the leg bones are still in the shed (its a maybe as my bud sends to a carver) & I get back over to Africa I will stick one or two in my bag so you can do a couple more may be ?

I wish we had some Ivory here as I have a .577 Webley Revolver I want to fit grips to, I found some Mammoth Ivory & that can be exported & Imported, most of it is cut into knife grip sizes & unfortunately not much of it is White Ivory color having mineral staining I think ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber