Greener crossbolt third-bite lock behaving whimsical

The snap caps are the problem! Or at least how the snap cap fits. Or else why would it close easily and completely with nothing in the right chamber? Your right chamber is likely a little "shallow" at the case rim recess, or there is a small bit of dirt in there, or the snap cap rim is just too thick as suggested by Kevin P. My Merkel 140AE had a tiny bit of rust on the ejector shaft ( internal, out of sight ) that caused a problem with lock up and ejection. Removing the ejector and cleaning it, polishing the shaft a bit, and re-lubing solved the problem.

When things are new, remove all grease and replace with kroil that is low viscosity. When things are old and loose, cake it in good hinge pin grease. You did the right thing.
 
I actually had a friend that had this problem, it turned out a screw had slightly backed out!!! I don't know where he had a Gun Smith repair it.
 
The good news is that the Greener bolt is properly fitted and actually engaging the rib extension. I agree with others that the gun just needs breaking in. I do close my vintage doubles gently but I am sure you won't damage a modern double by closing the gun firmly and letting the top lever spring drive the bolts home. When doing a quick reload while hunting you will want to just close the gun firmly, not slamming it closed. There is a difference. I think you should practice with the rifle just as you would use it in the field. Having a habit of closing it slowly or catching the brass may cost you in a tight spot. If it's your habit you will still do it while under pressure.
Very good advice
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,412
Messages
1,575,359
Members
170,285
Latest member
TinaHerrer
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top