Grand Canyon Bison Hunt

They will need to "move the carcass without motorised assistance".
The question is how is this possible?
Maybe by horses, or mules?
How is it usually done?
Pack horses and/or mules. But, one of the rules in fine print, is that you have to pack out one bison front quarter on your frame pack, so you can be deemed an "active participant"? Silly rule.

I read the requirements. One part is interesting "The goal is to reduce the herd by 200 animals. The hunter must be able to haul the carcass without motorized assistance."

Unless one also has a horse/mule to bring to the hunt I don't see a way to meet that requirement.
Exactly! A bison on your back?

If the Game & Fish Dept. is keeping the meat, shouldn't they be the ones hauling it out? Even in September, it can be hot up there, and the meat needs to be packed out quickly.
The whole adventure sounds like a hoot! But, for $6K and hauling your own horses to AZ just to pack out the meat for someone else in 110F+ heat, count me out! I've done this many times in Co with my father in laws horses with elk and the logistics of it is no joke. The transporting of water alone for the horses in that heat would be one example, especially if your there for five days plus travelling time. Then you have the hay/grain. Rent horses? Good luck with that! Many horses won't pack out a dead animal and the cost per day per horse is huge. I hope someone here applies for and gets a tag and makes a video of the entire adventure for us to see.

My favorite part is the "GOAL" is to reduce the heard by 200 animals...but we're only going to allow 12 hunters each only has 1 week and they have to pack their animals out without motorized equipment....that's 16-17 bison each hunter needs to kill and pack out by hand/horse/mule in 7 days. Why set a goal you know will not be reached. At most I'd bet there are less than 20 bison killed.

Definitely a young mans game!

And the rest of the story...

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.51.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.51.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.51.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.51.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.51.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 7.51.40 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
after reading all the hoops you have to jump thru and money spent, they can stick it where the sun don,t shine. so i,m going to buy a full size target of a buffalo and hook it to the wifes cloths drying line and have her reel in in as fast as she can and shoot at it, then take her out to dinner and after have a few cold ones on the back porch before packing out my fake buffalo.

after reading all the hoops you have to jump thru and money spent, they can stick it where the sun don,t shine. so i,m going to buy a full size target of a buffalo and hook it to the wifes cloths drying line and have her reel in in as fast as she can and shoot at it, then take her out to dinner and after have a few cold ones on the back porch before packing out my fake buffalo.
Come on Leslie! You wouldn't want to pack out a buffalo hind quarter on your back in 110+ degree heat many miles to your truck after paying a fortune to do it? What's a matter with you? Ha! Ha! Ha!

well at 78 i have to save my energry to carry the wife upstairs to the bedroom as she says its not worth the effort for whats she,s going to get.
You’ll hurt your back! Use a game cart!

do they make them that big?
My buddy has one that'll haul an elk hindquarter and front quarter and a bag of loose meat. It has two rear bicycle tires and front handles. It's a bitch though if you have downed logs over the trail. BTW, if your going to shoot those charging clothesline buffalo, you'll need something bigger than your .35 Whelen. Use enough gun! Ha! Ha! ha!

This sounds like a good way to have one of those “I wish I’d never” adventures. What could go wrong? Pay a large sum of money to shoot one of the most iconic animals in a very public event at one of the country’s most popular national parks. All under the supervision of government employees with rules they’ve cooked up. Might not be a bad idea to get you some of the old Groucho glasses with the nose and mustache too.

do they make them that big?

We made one up using a motorcycle tire that you could haul two full bull elk out on, which we did a time or two.

It wasn't a flimsy one like you will find on the WWW but a homemade version of what it should be.

The last bison hunt that I was on was over in Utah where the hunter shot a 5 year old bull, he missed a couple of the big ones. How he missed something the size of a Volkswagen I'll never know. But on the one that he got I was able to drive my truck to within 100 yards of the kill site. While 3 people were working on cutting it up 2 of us were packing back to the truck. It wasn't bad and we only had one draw to drop down and come back out of.

A person just doesn't realize just how big they are until you get up next to a dead one and then try to move it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!