Going through OR Tambo with a bow?

Brian

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Currently are there any paperwork/ inspection requirements for a hunting bow at OR TAMBO airport?

Thanks for your input. Brian

It's treated as regular luggage. It may however end up at the SAPS's office when they think that it is a rifle case.

Flew with a bow case in 2019. It didn’t show up on regular baggage carousel or in SAPs. There is an area for oversized bags. That’s where it was. Was pain to get because I was already out of secure area and in SAPs office to get rifles. But Henry’s people got it taken care of and found and brought up to us.
So check oversized area before leaving baggage area.

Currently are there any paperwork/ inspection requirements for a hunting bow at OR TAMBO airport?

Hi Brian,

As the others have correctly mentioned, there are no special requirements for taking archery equipment into South Africa. It is regarded as regular luggage by the airlines. Any type of large or irregularly shaped luggage usually ends up in the oversized baggage room which is just behind the main baggage carousels in OR Tambo. However, if your bow case is mistaken for a rifle case by the baggage handlers, it may end up in the SAPS office which happens occasionally.

If do not see your bow case on the baggage carousel check the oversized baggage room. If it is not there, have your outfitter or meet & greet person check the SAPS office. As Mark alluded to, once you leave the baggage area and go out into the main atrium, you will not be allowed back in.

We host scores of bowhunting guests each season with very few problems retrieving their bows at the airport. However, there are a few things you can do to avoid confusion with your bow being mistaken for a rifle. Many hunters will use 2" or larger vinyl lettering to label their case with "Bow & Arrow" on 3-sides. Other clients have used hard-sided rolling duffel bags to transport their bows instead of traditional hard bow cases. The bow can be secured in the bottom of the hard-sided duffel with clothing or a foam rubber mat placed over the top to provide protection. Using a duffel, the bow will always come out in the regular baggage carousel.

Thanks for the advice, Jim, Mark and Limcroma,

I have one more question,
Do you used the standard soft sided bow case or do you use a hard case like a rifle case?

Thanks again,
Brian

I'd use a hard sided one just to protect it from the baggage handlers.

1. According to TSA bows and arrows are identified as “Sporting Equipment”. I have “sporting equipment no firearms” labels all over my bow case. If it is registered at your initial luggage check in in the US, you bow should come out at the oversized luggage area at Tambo.

I would recommend a SKB Double Bow for airline travel for protection of equipment.

I use hard sided bow case. As Limcroma stated. Use good vinyl stickers.
And put ARCHERY ONLY
On outside of case. I have had few problems with it marked like that.

It's treated as regular luggage. It may however end up at the SAPS's office when they think that it is a rifle case.

If you don't see it on the regular baggage carousel head to the SAPS office. Stickers or not, they have assumed my bow case is a firearm. It surprised me the first time.
Don't panic just check the SAPS office.

Enjoy your hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you