Giraffe question from newbie

I guess I’ll put in my .02.

I was never interested in hunting a giraffe. But my wife saw a picture of a big dark bull and wanted a rug.

So in 2021 I was in RSA bow hunting and made a giraffe a priority so that my wife could have a rug. We tried to bowhunt these giraffe but we just couldn’t get close enough. The giraffe would spook and run and we’d try again.

The first old bull we got on was alone. We spooked him 4 times before he took off and never stopped. So we got on a second bull in a herd. They knew we were there before we did. We tried and tried, but could not get close enough to use the bow.

So I switched to a .300 Win Mag that my PH had. He would not let me take a body shot with that rifle. Said the skin was too thick at the shoulder. High neck only. It worked.

The kill wasn’t the best part. The best part was the recovery. Looking back I’m glad I did it. I have no interest in taking another unless one was offered as a cull or something of that nature. Or if my wife decided she needed another rug.

Pictures below show the thickness of the hide at the hock, and the size of the rug. That’s my 9 year old laying on the neck
IMG_7747.jpeg
IMG_3324.jpeg

Glad the OP asked the question as I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. I’m actually going back to Africa in 2025, this time Namibia. Won a hunt package in a live auction at SCI this year and it included a giraffe.

I’ll say I have been hesitant on whether or not I should switch it out for another game animal.

Just purchased my own first hunting rifle and decided I had to go large enough caliber for a giraffe should I be unable to switch.
Went with a Q Fix 8.6 BLK will use sups.
Trying to decide on a scope now - I’m overwhelmed by options!

Interesting reading tho everyone’s inputs on mounts - @Nomsag beautiful dark bull you had there!

Info on what’s possible, from skin to bones is helpful as it seems like a costly animal to mount as others have discussed.
I think the 8.6 BLK is not going to have the power you need for a giraffe. Their skin is about 2” thick. Please double check with your PH.

Glad the OP asked the question as I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. I’m actually going back to Africa in 2025, this time Namibia. Won a hunt package in a live auction at SCI this year and it included a giraffe.

I’ll say I have been hesitant on whether or not I should switch it out for another game animal.

Just purchased my own first hunting rifle and decided I had to go large enough caliber for a giraffe should I be unable to switch.

Interesting reading tho everyone’s inputs on mounts - @Nomsag beautiful dark bull you had there!

Info on what’s possible, from skin to bones is helpful as it seems like a costly animal to mount as others have discussed.
I agree with @Tra3 i think most PHs would agree this isn’t a suitable cartridge for a client. It won’t have the penetration or the energy for an ethical kill. Giraffe have heavy bone and thick skin. It would be a better plan to borrow a rifle for the giraffe. Namibia also has energy requirements for game animals published on their professional hunting organization’s website.
IMG_4327.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, you need to find some grumpy old gun guys who know about hunting Africa and get into one of those conversations where you keep your mouth closed and ears open;)

I mean this with the best of intentions. Seriously. Do not take that rifle to Africa. Trade it. Sell it. Or put it where it will do some good like in a quick access safe next to your bed for home defense.

DO NOT let @Bob Nelson 35Whelen figure out what this cartridge is... He may have to start defending the 243 as a good hunting cartridge!

BTW, a 35 Whelen would be an outstanding choice. A 30-06 would be good! Heck you would be better off with a 6.5 Creedmoor! (Affectionately and unaffectionally refered to as the Man Bunn)

Seriously a 35 Whelen. 9.3x62 or 9.3x74. 338 Win Mag, 300 Win Mag even, certainly a 375 H&H or Ruger (NOT a 375 Winchester)..... load up with heavy for caliber or at least standard weight BONDED bullets or TSX bullets.

Enjoy your hunt!

Was the hunt with Jamy Traut?

I had to google search the 8.6 to see what you where talking about.
I see where the designers have taken cape buffalo with the round. I also see where they compared it to a 300wm. Granted I did skim through quickly.
But that being said a lot of PH and laws will limit the dangerous game rifle to around 375HH power levels.
I have shot a lot of 300blk and subsonic 308. Either has essentially the same terminal ballistics. The 8.6 works its magic by throwing a large projectile slow. Subsonic is well just that slow.
The 1-3 barrel twist is also very unique. Needed to stabilize those big slow moving missiles.
Not saying don't use it on a giraffe, just understand your rifle and cartridge before you do.
Please post some more about your hunt and 8.6 shooting. have fun and take care.

Too anemic for large plains game.
Designed for suppressed tactical weapons, not for hunting.
Power of 8.6 blk can be compared to medium revolver calibers, not hunting rifle.
There is an old adage, use enough gun!
And it specifically comes from African hunting culture (Robert Ruark)

How did you choose this caliber? Asking just out of curiosity. Very unusual choice for first hunting rifle, and very unusual choice for African safari.

My 5c, advice:

I would suggest to start with 30-06, 270 win, 308 win, 300 win mag. Or other calibers in that range.
338 wm would not be overkill for giraffe, but maybe is too big for first hunting rifle.

Scope, medium power scope, variable 3-9x, 1.7-10x, 3-12x, up to 42mm, with illuminated reticle.
Swarovski, Zeiss, Smidt and Bender. High end scopes.
Middle price level, leupold. My suggestion.

Quick detach scope mounts, and rifle to be fitted with iron sights.

Generally this is set up for safari bolt action rifle.

I'll start by saying I'm not in the fan category of the 8.6 BLK.

However, the reports of its successes on big animals include cape buffalo can't be disregarded. The extreme twist rates 1:3 create incredible RPM that are doing some amazing things on soft tissue.

That being said, I'd much rather have a feeling of too much gun for a task than too little. There is no such thing as overkill.

Wow, you need to find some grumpy old gun guys who know about hunting Africa and get into one of those conversations where you keep your mouth closed and ears open;)

I mean this with the best of intentions. Seriously. Do not take that rifle to Africa. Trade it. Sell it. Or put it where it will do some good like in a quick access safe next to your bed for home defense.

DO NOT let @Bob Nelson 35Whelen figure out what this cartridge is... He may have to start defending the 243 as a good hunting cartridge!

BTW, a 35 Whelen would be an outstanding choice. A 30-06 would be good! Heck you would be better off with a 6.5 Creedmoor! (Affectionately and unaffectionally refered to as the Man Bunn)

Seriously a 35 Whelen. 9.3x62 or 9.3x74. 338 Win Mag, 300 Win Mag even, certainly a 375 H&H or Ruger (NOT a 375 Winchester)..... load up with heavy for caliber or at least standard weight BONDED bullets or TSX bullets.

Enjoy your hunt!
@Action Bob
I will NEVER EVER say the 243 is a hunting cartridge of any description.
When I was in Namibia our out fitter took a giraffe with a 375 H&H. Seven shots later it was down. He suffered from bullet failure not cartridge failure. One projectile was found with the cup of the projectile sitting on the heart but no sign of the core. All projectiles suffered core separation. In hind sight he said he should have used my Whelen as it had proper bullets load in it.
If the projectiles used in the 375 were better quality it would have been better than the Whelen
Goes to show the importance of matching the bullet to the game. The 8.3 blk aka 338blk would be useless. A 338wm with a bonded 250gn would be fine.
Bob

I guess I’ll put in my .02.

I was never interested in hunting a giraffe. But my wife saw a picture of a big dark bull and wanted a rug.

So in 2021 I was in RSA bow hunting and made a giraffe a priority so that my wife could have a rug. We tried to bowhunt these giraffe but we just couldn’t get close enough. The giraffe would spook and run and we’d try again.

The first old bull we got on was alone. We spooked him 4 times before he took off and never stopped. So we got on a second bull in a herd. They knew we were there before we did. We tried and tried, but could not get close enough to use the bow.

So I switched to a .300 Win Mag that my PH had. He would not let me take a body shot with that rifle. Said the skin was too thick at the shoulder. High neck only. It worked.

The kill wasn’t the best part. The best part was the recovery. Looking back I’m glad I did it. I have no interest in taking another unless one was offered as a cull or something of that nature. Or if my wife decided she needed another rug.

Pictures below show the thickness of the hide at the hock, and the size of the rug. That’s my 9 year old laying on the neck
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

3006 with 165 tsx is what I shot my bull with. Shot facing me you can see the blood. Went about 50 yds. Stopped broadside and put another one high left shoulder and he went another 75 yds and piled up.View attachment 596691View attachment 596692
Thanks for sharing. Yes - with Jamy. Still finalizing dates/etc. Won't be until next year however. As mentioned, I'm still not certain I'll want to include giraffe and see if he can swap out for Kudu or Eland. Kudu is honestly next on my list as preferred.

I had to google search the 8.6 to see what you where talking about.
I see where the designers have taken cape buffalo with the round. I also see where they compared it to a 300wm. Granted I did skim through quickly.
But that being said a lot of PH and laws will limit the dangerous game rifle to around 375HH power levels.
I have shot a lot of 300blk and subsonic 308. Either has essentially the same terminal ballistics. The 8.6 works its magic by throwing a large projectile slow. Subsonic is well just that slow.
The 1-3 barrel twist is also very unique. Needed to stabilize those big slow moving missiles.
Not saying don't use it on a giraffe, just understand your rifle and cartridge before you do.
Please post some more about your hunt and 8.6 shooting. have fun and take care.

yup. you have a lot of folks who are just not familiar with the cartridge, including those that say it's not a hunting cartridge which couldn't be farther from the truth.
I have a 6.5CM in the Fix and will have 8.6BLK as well - would need 2 scopes to be dialed in if I'm going to switch in between them - so intention was to take the 8.6
KB taking down multiple game - cape, eland, lion, leopard, kudu, hippo, crocs - all with 8.6

Absolutely agree on knowing your rifle & cartridge. still undecided on giraffe and would never do anything I'm not ready for.
Gorilla has some unique 8.6 ammo out now - pork shredder 342gr expanding sub, 285gr fracturing sub, and a few others

will def share more as this journey evolves with my Fix 8.6 BLK/6.5CM

I'll start by saying I'm not in the fan category of the 8.6 BLK.

However, the reports of its successes on big animals include cape buffalo can't be disregarded. The extreme twist rates 1:3 create incredible RPM that are doing some amazing things on soft tissue.

That being said, I'd much rather have a feeling of too much gun for a task than too little. There is no such thing as overkill.

from what I've seen ones either a fan or they're not. it's changing the game though to your point of reported successes.
appreciate the honesty.

Thanks for sharing. Yes - with Jamy. Still finalizing dates/etc. Won't be until next year however. As mentioned, I'm still not certain I'll want to include giraffe and see if he can swap out for Kudu or Eland. Kudu is honestly next on my list as preferred.
If you got the waterberg hunt they offered, it would be a mistake not to take the giraffe. There is limited hunting on waterberg just buffalo, eland, giraffe, leopard. You could encounter a giraffe at any time while looking for eland tracks. It makes a good combination. Also at waterberg you can really select a proper old giraffe from a lot of giraffes. It’s not a farm hunt where only one or two older giraffe bulls are available.

Now that looks good

Couple questions because I just don’t know.
Why shipping so much for a giraffe ? Is it simply the size and weight ?
I could of hunted and shot a giraffe on my last trip. I didn’t. Do not really have a desire to do so. But I am not going to bash you for hunting one. Lord know we have our differences here and in the world in general. But hunters should bad mouth other hunters over what they ethically hunt.
But the more I hear about hunting zebra and giraffe I am warming up to the idea.
My issue is I do not have room for more trophies or hides.
Why do you group zebra into that? No horns I guess? They are an excellent game animal to hunt and eat.

Too anemic for large plains game.
Designed for suppressed tactical weapons, not for hunting.
Power of 8.6 blk can be compared to medium revolver calibers, not hunting rifle.
There is an old adage, use enough gun!
And it specifically comes from African hunting culture (Robert Ruark)

How did you choose this caliber? Asking just out of curiosity. Very unusual choice for first hunting rifle, and very unusual choice for African safari.

My 5c, advice:

I would suggest to start with 30-06, 270 win, 308 win, 300 win mag. Or other calibers in that range.
338 wm would not be overkill for giraffe, but maybe is too big for first hunting rifle.

Scope, medium power scope, variable 3-9x, 1.7-10x, 3-12x, up to 42mm, with illuminated reticle.
Swarovski, Zeiss, Smidt and Bender. High end scopes.
Middle price level, leupold. My suggestion.

Quick detach scope mounts, and rifle to be fitted with iron sights.

Generally this is set up for safari bolt action rifle.

Thank you. Appreciate your feedback, respectfully I can't agree with it all.

To answer your question on why this caliber - I've been following Q and Kevin Brittingham for a bit now and 8.6 is absolutely a capable hunting caliber for large plains game.

Finally shot one recently and I was impressed.

def appreciate the feedback on the scopes! Thanks again for your guidance there.
initially was look at Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x, but after some initial research on here, seems like many folks suggest on here, shouldnt need that much of magnification, and now may consider something similar to what you mention on mag. Plan had been to add a repetilla mount in addt. for close shots.
Had started to consider NF NX8 or ATACR, but still in research mode right now.

If you got the waterberg hunt they offered, it would be a mistake not to take the giraffe. There is limited hunting on waterberg just buffalo, eland, giraffe, leopard. You could encounter a giraffe at any time while looking for eland tracks. It makes a good combination. Also at waterberg you can really select a proper old giraffe from a lot of giraffes. It’s not a farm hunt where only one or two older giraffe bulls are available.
it's Kaokoland - zebra, giraffe, and springbok. I had wanted to add Kudu or replace w/giraffe potentially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.