Garmin Rino hand held GPS

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
after doing a bit of hunting with a friend from work ive decided I really want a hand held GPS. his GPS managed to keep track of our path and what GMU we were in (we hunted threw 3 and each has different rules).

another coworker told me his whole elk crew used Garmin Rino's since they were both a GPS and a radio. I liked this idea as I often hunt In two or three man crews that split up to cover larger areas. having a radio and GPS in one removes a piece of equipment I have to carry.

thoughts on the Garmin Rino? prefer something else?

thanks
-matt

Matt,
I had the 650 for while, and although the gps side worked really well not so the radio. Now I am not sure what frequency they use in the US, however here in Australia they use UHF band and the radio function was not even close in comparison to a dedicated two way radio. Both reception and voice clarity were poor in quality at even short ranges. This seems to be fairly common as we purchased 6 or 7 units and all suffered the same issues. The other problem is that when you transmit your position it can be seen by any rino unit in range. This maybe a good thing or not, depends on perspective. The other thing to consider is the Rino unit uses a built in battery that when depleted must be charge using the supplied charger, unlike other garmin gps units that use AA battery that you can replace in the field. On standby the battery on the rino will last a long time, however if you are doing a lot of transmitting and using the screen with the backlight on (almost a must in bright conditions) then power consumption is considerable.

I guess last but not least, you need at least two units to gain any benefit.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.