Gallagher Transport, Problems importing, rookie mistakes?

snider6464

Reaction score
Media
Member of
RMEF, SCI, Colorado mule deer association,
Hunted
USA, New Zeland, Mexico, Kyrgyzstan, South Africa,
Hello all,

I went on a hunt in South Africa in 2021 with Marius Goosen of KMG Safaris. Did my research on him and everything involved with making my first trip to Africa a great success. However I did not take the advice of this hunting forum to use Trophy Shippers as the importer. I used Splitting image and just assumed they would have me covered to get the trophies to the final destination and use their suggested exporters and importers. They gave it to Badger Cargo, which was not terrible to deal with. But once Gallagher transport got involved it got totally off rail.

I live in Colorado and with Denver removing their USDA inspections of some sort Gallagher said they could get a variance to get it cleared there and we shipped the crate to Denver on Feb 10th. The communication with Gallagher has been a total nightmear. Not responding to emails, short or hanging up on the phone, everything you can imagine. I finally found out last week that the shipment had to be moved somewhere else to get cleared and is back in Denver. I am now waiting on the word to go pick it up.

Since it has been held up for over 50 days, am I totally screwed? I feel they are going to charge me more than my entire hunt cost and taxidermy? I feel like I want to contact splitting image and ask how the hell I got put with this corrupt/failure of a importer, but I also understand I should have used someone like Trophy Shipper (which I talked with briefly at SCI in Nashville and they seem great).

I have hunted in many far off lands (new Zealand, Kyrg, Mexico, etc) but never had to deal with anything remotely as a cluster as this.

My question is what should I do now or is there anything to do?

The way that I see it you are going to be stuck, not much else to do for lack of planning.

The best thing that you can do is to talk to the importer and see if they will knock off any final charges. But I wouldn't count on it.

Well you'll have to wait but I'd be worried about is storage fees here in the US. That has been what is screwing folks the most at rates of $300-$400 per day. Hopefully that is not the case for your situation.

Thanks for the replay.
Is it normal for a taxidermist like splitting image to recommend an importer like this?

I have herd the same thing. If it is 400$ a day, that would be upwards of 20k usd. Not sure what I would do

Is it normal for an importer to not communicate what is happening or not give you options of how the package will make it to the final destination?

If you don't schedule with a importer you are at the mercy of those doing the shipping for you.

I don't believe that Denver ever had a USDA inspections, your USDA trophies had to go to a certified shop such as a taxidermy shop or tannery. They may of had a US Fish and Wildlife inspectors in Denver. They are two different departments.

We had a member on here that had some problems last year and I believe that he ended up with a $3000 storage fee for his trophies..

I’ve never had a taxidermist in Africa recommended the customs broker in USA. I’ve asked the shipper their recommendation before. Usually they just ask you who you want to use. I’m on my third and hopefully final customs broker now. The first has great reputation but communication was the worst it could be (even to try and pay). The second was trophy shippers but it appears their reputation on here is taking a big hit currently. I think coppersmiths will be my final broker. I’ll pay a little more to take away any potential headaches. I don’t want to play games with this anymore. At this point, I think all you can do is pick better next time.

I would ask to talk to the owner of the company. And see what he has to say.
Find out what your storage fees will be and then make a decision on what you will do.

you do have the option to forfeit your shipment. that is not what you want to do.

however if your storage cost are between $300 and $400 a day times 50+ days (and counting) you are looking at some serious money. And you still do not have your trophies in hand.

realistic you are looking at cost close to $30,000 to pick up your box of trophies.

That would be 2 hunting trip that you would be able to take to Africa. Or a few guided trips in North America.

Lesson learned. I just assumed that it would be all good and couldn't make that big of a difference and that the recommendations/standard affiliate company of someone like splitting image wouldn't be a disaster.

I will wait to see what the final bill is but I am going to assume at this point I will have to forfeit my shipment. The Gallagher's reputation online is they are in the business to screw people as much as possible, so I am going to assume I am in the same boat.

Every time I come back from NZ, I just put my capes, skulls, horns in my bag and claim them. Most of the time they don't even want to see them. This whole creating and shipping part is not nearly as easy.

........... they could get a variance to get it cleared there and we shipped the crate to Denver on Feb 10th.. ...........
They provide an opinion that is incorrect and the ensuing problems are theirs.

If they did not get/receive the "variance" before shipping the trophies to a port of entry then who's fault is that? Not yours.

You can drop a line to the President Brad Whittle.

I'll PM some details for you.

Brickburn Thank you for the contact and the info.

I agree with what your statement, but will such little communication or information from Gallagher, I am unsure what actually transpired with the shipment. It was their suggestion to keep the shipment going to Denver and that they would secure the variance. Hopefully things will work out for the better and they are just poor communicators. I will reach out and see what the President has to say. Will update with the results. Thanks for all the insights

Yikes, hope all works out. Was it Splitting Image or Badger Cargo that recomended Gallagher Transport?

Splitting Image sent it to Badger Cargo automatically. Badger Cargo then used Gallagher.

In the email from Badger Cargo they state that we must inform them of a customs broker or they would "suggest one of our capable partners"

USDA inspection = baboons, bushpigs, warthogs, and monkeys.

Literally, the lowest cost items to hunt in Africa are always the cause of potential gotchas on the import side of the house. Sorry you're going through this situation. Hopefully you'll be able to assign cause of delays to someone other than yourself to somehow avoid the $300-$400 a day fee of the bonded warehouse coming to you. I don't know enough about the situation at hand to say where the problem lays between all the parties.

Really sorry you're going through this, sir.

This really sucks. Bummer you are on the receiving end.....

Hello all,

I went on a hunt in South Africa in 2021 with Marius Goosen of KMG Safaris. Did my research on him and everything involved with making my first trip to Africa a great success. However I did not take the advice of this hunting forum to use Trophy Shippers as the importer. I used Splitting image and just assumed they would have me covered to get the trophies to the final destination and use their suggested exporters and importers. They gave it to Badger Cargo, which was not terrible to deal with. But once Gallagher transport got involved it got totally off rail.

I live in Colorado and with Denver removing their USDA inspections of some sort Gallagher said they could get a variance to get it cleared there and we shipped the crate to Denver on Feb 10th. The communication with Gallagher has been a total nightmear. Not responding to emails, short or hanging up on the phone, everything you can imagine. I finally found out last week that the shipment had to be moved somewhere else to get cleared and is back in Denver. I am now waiting on the word to go pick it up.

Since it has been held up for over 50 days, am I totally screwed? I feel they are going to charge me more than my entire hunt cost and taxidermy? I feel like I want to contact splitting image and ask how the hell I got put with this corrupt/failure of a importer, but I also understand I should have used someone like Trophy Shipper (which I talked with briefly at SCI in Nashville and they seem great).

I have hunted in many far off lands (new Zealand, Kyrg, Mexico, etc) but never had to deal with anything remotely as a cluster as this.

My question is what should I do now or is there anything to do?
Good Day Mr Snider,

We are busy working with Badger Cargo to find out how we can assist.

Badger Cargo are looking into the issue and be giving us feedback asap.

Regards
Splitting Image Taxidermy

Thank you all for your responses.

Once Splitting Image reached out it seems all my emails were responded to. I understand that this issue was not on their end, almost 3rd hand at this point.

Gallagher has said that "The main problem with your shipment is It was held up in Chicago on a routine agriculture hold. This does happen from time to time – sort of like getting selected by TSA at the airport for a pat down."

They did not charge me any storage costs or any costs to move the shipment from Denver to Chicago and then back to Denver. I am not sure if this is standard procedure. Also if a routine hold could take this long. Just under $900 is a lot better than the 20K.

I understand the times we live in, shipments can be delayed for long periods of time. That does not bother me. The problem is the unknown when the importer is not communicating on what is happening or what will happen with the billing. I am not sure if they dropped the ball by not having their variance in place like they claimed or if this was all really just a routine hold by the good ole government. Hopefully I will have the trophies in hand by the end of the day or tomorrow.

For any new person hunting outside of the country that you are a resident in this is a good example of why you should be looking at importers way before the hunt.

Yes, you can do it all yourself but I like the piece of mind that a good importer will instill in you as your trophies are being processed.

Sounds like everything is starting to work out for snider6464, and I hope that it continues with no more problems.

I really don’t see this falling back on Splitting Image but Badger. Unfortunately it seems most snafus you hear of take place on this side of the pond as well as unexpected charges such as the infamous “storage” fees.

Thank you all for your responses.

Once Splitting Image reached out it seems all my emails were responded to. I understand that this issue was not on their end, almost 3rd hand at this point.

Gallagher has said that "The main problem with your shipment is It was held up in Chicago on a routine agriculture hold. This does happen from time to time – sort of like getting selected by TSA at the airport for a pat down."

They did not charge me any storage costs or any costs to move the shipment from Denver to Chicago and then back to Denver. I am not sure if this is standard procedure. Also if a routine hold could take this long. Just under $900 is a lot better than the 20K.

I understand the times we live in, shipments can be delayed for long periods of time. That does not bother me. The problem is the unknown when the importer is not communicating on what is happening or what will happen with the billing. I am not sure if they dropped the ball by not having their variance in place like they claimed or if this was all really just a routine hold by the good ole government. Hopefully I will have the trophies in hand by the end of the day or tomorrow.
Good Day Mr Snider,

I believe your trophies have all been cleared and you should have possession of them.

Thank you for your patience and we are glad the situation was resolved.

Please let us know if we can assist further.

Kind Regards
Warrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fullhunter

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.