Further evaluations of the Sako Brown Bear

I have the same rifle in 500 Jeffrey on the way. It should be here next Wednesday. I am collecting reloading components now and I have a small amount of factory ammo so I hope to have some range reports for it coming up soon.

I will keep y'all posted, I want to buy some 300gr barnes and see what this rifles potential is as a longer range PG gun. Even with the 400 grain A Frames at 2400fps the ballistics are very reasonable out to 400yds. I has a 10.6MOA, which is 44" of drop, from a dead 100yd zero and still maintains 2345ft lb of energy at 400 yds. When you consider a 308 has 2500ft lb at the muzzle that is the same amount of energy a 308 would deliver at about 50yds. With something like a 1-4 vortex or the 1-8 Nightcore NX8 with exposed turrets she would be very capable indeed at those distance if it provides at least 1 MOA performance that would keep all of your shots inside a 4.2" circle at 400yds. Definitely Minute of Plains Game
Does it get to you that the scopes are in moa? It kills me

I grew up on MOA so I'm used to it. It is kind of funny when I go shoot with some of my buddies who are still in. Everything is Mil now. I'll just say there is definitely a language barrier if we are giving each other corrections while shooting. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I just got the 500 Jeffrey in today. I'm gonna post a thread later on my initial thoughts on it. I've got 6 rounds down range so far. It is all looking good at the moment.

I grew up on MOA so I'm used to it. It is kind of funny when I go shoot with some of my buddies who are still in. Everything is Mil now. I'll just say there is definitely a language barrier if we are giving each other corrections while shooting. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Grew up on moa and thought I needed moa to be more accurate (smaller adjustments). Then shooting comps everyone was in mils.Been mils for over 12 years now. Then when I went to the instructor side of things, 3.5 was my friend to get people on target.

Happy the new stick seems to e treating you right.

Never had these Moa in my hack of woods! Must be good trophy, all seam to speak about them!
:giggle:

I'm liking it so far. I have tried the mills a little bit but I can't seem to get them down for on the fly corrections. Like if I'm shooting at 600yds and I see my impact I can translate it into MOA pretty quick. Like "oh shit that was a foot low, that'll be 2 moa, but I can't do the conversion to mills that fast. I suppose if I would put in the time I could get used to it. It definitely has some upsides but my mind is just so used to thinking in MOA.

You guys should be talking about MOE (minute-of- elephant) when it cones to a 500J, not Mils and MOA.

I'm liking it so far. I have tried the mills a little bit but I can't seem to get them down for on the fly corrections. Like if I'm shooting at 600yds and I see my impact I can translate it into MOA pretty quick. Like "oh shit that was a foot low, that'll be 2 moa, but I can't do the conversion to mills that fast. I suppose if I would put in the time I could get used to it. It definitely has some upsides but my mind is just so used to thinking in MOA.
the biggest problem when mixing standard and metric like when going from measuring in yards to applying the correction in mils
same issue with mph for wind and trying to science that into mils,
i wish the military would start training everyone from day 1 of boot camp to make KPH wind calls and do everything strictly in metric, since that's kinda the way they're going to do everything anyway

Yeah that all it is putting in the time. Most of my scopes are mil rets. On the fly I can offset what I missed by and send another before the wind changes. Or take a measurement and see if I can figure out what is going on down range. My rets match my turrets that's the big deal for me.

Last edited:
I have the same rifle in 500 Jeffrey on the way. It should be here next Wednesday. I am collecting reloading components now and I have a small amount of factory ammo so I hope to have some range reports for it coming up soon.
Can you post pictures of your Sako 85 in .500 Jeffery?

I've been curious about these for a time, looks like it would handle better than my CZ .500 Jeffery I sold last year.

Thanks

Can you post pictures of your Sako 85 in .500 Jeffery?

I've been curious about these for a time, looks like it would handle better than my CZ .500 Jeffery I sold last year.

Thanks
I'm out of town at the moment. I'll check my phone and if I have any pics I'll post them, if not I will get some pics when I get home and post them up.

The 500 is back. I only had the chance to run 3 rounds through it this afternoon. Matt at MNR fixed the feeding, installed an NECG front sight and band, the factory one was REALLY big, a mercury recoil reducer and lengthened the LOP 1/2" for me ans put on a new recoil pad. Everything looked top notch and for the 3 rounds that I got to fire it was butter smooth and very fast with the short bolt throw of the Sako. The new front sight seemed to be spot on. A rapid fire off hand 3 shot group at about 20 yards just for a function check, I then mounted the red dot and I plan to do some testing tomorrow. I will try to get some better pics as well. I had to get to work this afternoon.

20221109_164905.jpg
20221109_164743.jpg
20221109_164703.jpg
20221109_164657.jpg
20221109_164641.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have really high hopes for this rig. I like the new sight set up, with the interchangeable NECG ramp I have lots of options and I think I will send the 416 rigby in to get the same treatment. New front sight and a new recoil pad. Got to keep them matching. I am also really liking the RMR and I also have leupold QD bases as well but I will probably leave it as is with the scope on the 416 and red dot on the 500.

I have really high hopes for this rig. I like the new sight set up, with the interchangeable NECG ramp I have lots of options and I think I will send the 416 rigby in to get the same treatment. New front sight and a new recoil pad. Got to keep them matching. I am also really liking the RMR and I also have leupold QD bases as well but I will probably leave it as is with the scope on the 416 and red dot on the 500.
What mount did you use for the RMR?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.