Free Zebra Hide

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I had a couple of zebra hides tanned here in the states. When I picked them up, they were all balled up in a
Cardboard box and wrinkled. The tannery didn’t thin the hide properly to make it nice and soft on the back either.

I talked to a taxidermist who said I could sand it down on the back to get the proper suede texture and wet it and work out the wrinkles. If I do the work, it reminds me that I paid good money for poor workmanship and it pisses me off every time I look at it. If you do the work, you get a father-son project that results in a free zebra hide rug snd I get to imagine I’ve made someone happy by giving it away.

So here is the deal: if you’d like zebra skin rug, it is yours.

163DA6ED-001C-46B7-8DE1-997B8BEEAE7A.jpeg

I had a couple of zebra hides tanned here in the states. When I picked them up, they were all balled up in a
Cardboard box and wrinkled. The tannery didn’t thin the hide properly to make it nice and soft on the back either.

I talked to a taxidermist who said I could sand it down on the back to get the proper suede texture and wet it and work out the wrinkles. If I do the work, it reminds me that I paid good money for poor workmanship and it pisses me off every time I look at it. If you do the work, you get a father-son project that results in a free zebra hide rug snd I get to imagine I’ve made someone happy by giving it away.

So here is the deal: if you’d like zebra skin rug, it is yours.

View attachment 405721
Turn it over, and iron with a cool-ish steam iron.

If you still want to get rid of it, I'll take.

I think I'll collect my own, but a great offer.

I took @Bert the Turtle up on his kind and generous offer... once I get back from South Africa (we're headed out next week), I'm going to see what I can do to make it work for a project my wife wants to work on (recovering a chair/bench).. @Bert the Turtle was right, as a rug Im not sure theres much that could be done to salvage it.. but I think with a little work we can get it a large number of the bends and folds out of it, and then if its pulled tight enough and enough tacks are applied, Im pretty sure we can make it work really well for a re-upholstery job on the antique bench..

Thanks again @Bert the Turtle !

Can’t believe I didn’t catch this! Congrats! I have been wanting to build a set of batwing chaps out of zebra split right down the back bone. Let me know if you change your mind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg