Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hello,

Okay, today is nice and simple:

Is it possible to free float a barrel on a full stock? Would it result in better accuracy as it does in normal circumstances?

You can free float a full length stock. There is no hard and fast rule on if this will increase accuracy. For whatever reason, I've actually had a gun that shot better with pressure/contact on the barrel. That said, when I want a gun to shoot better free floatin the barrel is one of the first things I do along with bedding the action and letting the trigger off.

I Have two full length stocks a CZ 550 carbine in 308 and a Westernfield/Heym in 30/06 and I have floated both barrels, whether or not it improved accuracy or not I really couldn't tell, as they both shoot great,,maybe it's a peace of mind thing, I used three different diameter dowel rods so i could keep the taper more consistent, there are probably other ways to do the job but this works for me

@TallGrassHunter, would you say that it's a worth while venture?

Hello Alexandro, hope this helps. IMO, it depends on what kind of accurracy you're getting without doing anything. It may be a disease but I tend to fiddle with any gun that shoots over 1 moa, so I'm probably not the right person to ask.
To answer your question, almost every rifle I've floated the barrel, bedded the action, and let off the trigger, has shot better. Almost every rifle.

+1 I agree with tall grass, float the barrel, bedded the action and tune the trigger, if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself take it to a good gunsmith. most stock triggers are nasty put in a timmney, shilen, etc. bedding an action is an artform so be careful.

I have done a couple of mannlicher stocks and have floated the barred from the front of the chamber forward as a matter of course and do it on any stock I was making whether full length mannlicher or standard length. Having said that though, there is floating and floating with some varying quite dramatically in the ammount of float that is left. I look at .0015 -.002 on the sides and .0025 - .003 underneath on the longer stocks with the dimensions being smaller as the forestock shortens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.