Fountain pen appreciation

I have a Parker that I bough in 1998 in Seattle from a fountain pen shop for right about $200. It has an 18 karat gold nib. At the time, I thought it was super extravagant and overly expensive. Could get a Bic or Pentel that would write just about as nice for $1. But, I worked OT and justified the purchase that way. Paid for it out of my over time. It's a great pen. Not so easy to get ink cartridges for and I am always careful not to stain my dork pocket with it....but it's a beautiful pen and I really like it. Now building a 458 Lott/Watts on an A-Square Hannibal stock with a Winchester M1917 Enfield action. It's all fun :)

I’ve used and quasi-collected fountain pens since I was a kid. Highly recommend the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and Fahrney’s in DC.

This is my everyday writing instrument. Veterans disability is to right/write hand. Consequently I require something that works without pressure. The wood is box elder burl.
16851203083405272959551804265696.jpg

This is my everyday writing instrument. Veterans disability is to right/write hand. Consequently I require something that works without pressure. The wood is box elder burl.
View attachment 536043
I am thrilled by your pen! I was waiting for you to comment expounding upon the virtues of owning a Bic. :cool:

Like @rookhawk, my everyday, go anywhere pen is a Montblanc LeGrand Meisterstuck Rollerball. It is, for me at least, pretty close to the perfect writing instrument. However, like @Kevin Peacocke, at home when writing thank you notes, condolences, or special letters to a few folks who despise email, I use a fountain. In my case the same Monblanc fountain pen model.

At last my Holland and Holland pen arrived and I could not be more impressed. The workmanship is superb and in the hand the balance is just right. The 'wood' is shiny and may be resin, but the grain and figure is so detailed that I wonder if it is resin impregnated wood? In any event it is extremely pleasing.
The surprise came when I opened the little compartment at the base of the box to reveal the conversion kit to a ball point plus four cartridges.
I thoroughly recommend one of these, the presentation case is superb in of itself.
View attachment 536024

A beauty, congratulations Kevin !

I am thrilled by your pen! I was waiting for you to comment expounding upon the virtues of owning a Bic. :cool:

Like @rookhawk, my everyday, go anywhere pen is a Montblanc LeGrand Meisterstuck Rollerball. It is, for me at least, pretty close to the perfect writing instrument. However, like @Kevin Peacocke, at home when writing thank you notes, condolences, or special letters to a few folks who despise email, I use a fountain. In my case the same Monblanc fountain pen model.
My pen was handmade by a local handicapped fella in a wheelchair. He was selling them in the lobby of the hospital the month before my son died. Seeing him brought up memories of my childhood when we would go into Kalispell once a month on payday to do shopping. There were always a couple of old Span Am or WWI vets begging on Main St in front of Woolworths. They were usually selling pencils. I vividly remember one cheerful fella in rags with no legs. He sat on a board with four rollers from skates. I thought that was so cool and asked if I could give it a go. Very much upset Dad but the gent waved him off, hopped off, and let me and my older brother scoot down the sidewalk a bit. Dad always searched out those guys first thing when we got to town and bought us each a pencil. Then he crossed the street to Jack's Tavern while Mom took us to Woolworths counter for milkshake then shopping. It wasn't till a few years before he died that I learned Dad had been a surgical tech in the South Pacific Theatre. He undoubtedly assisted in cutting off more than a few soldiers' legs. I can't imagine. Dad was a shrapnel carrying US Army disabled vet, something we shared (vet's disability, not shrapnel).

At last my Holland and Holland pen arrived and I could not be more impressed. The workmanship is superb and in the hand the balance is just right. The 'wood' is shiny and may be resin, but the grain and figure is so detailed that I wonder if it is resin impregnated wood? In any event it is extremely pleasing.
The surprise came when I opened the little compartment at the base of the box to reveal the conversion kit to a ball point plus four cartridges.
I thoroughly recommend one of these, the presentation case is superb in of itself.
View attachment 536024
Very nice, Kevin. Thank you for showing this image.

Some very fine pieces. Started thinking maybe I should splurge on something nice like that Mont Blanc, 149 John Harrison edition. Then I looked at the price...Not sure wife would even let me keep it in the divorce.

I have a Parker that I bough in 1998 in Seattle from a fountain pen shop for right about $200. It has an 18 karat gold nib. At the time, I thought it was super extravagant and overly expensive. Could get a Bic or Pentel that would write just about as nice for $1. But, I worked OT and justified the purchase that way. Paid for it out of my over time. It's a great pen. Not so easy to get ink cartridges for and I am always careful not to stain my dork pocket with it....but it's a beautiful pen and I really like it. Now building a 458 Lott/Watts on an A-Square Hannibal stock with a Winchester M1917 Enfield action. It's all fun :)
I lied to you guys....my pen is not a Parker....it's a Cross. Everything else was true. 18 karat gold nib, it's a really nice pen. The best one I own. I will check out the place in D.C. I bought this pen in 1998...about time for another one :)

I lied to you guys....my pen is not a Parker....it's a Cross. Everything else was true. 18 karat gold nib, it's a really nice pen. The best one I own. I will check out the place in D.C. I bought this pen in 1998...about time for another one :)
I can thoroughly recommend the Holland and Holland as the next one. I got some Mont Blanc brown ink today and topped mine up, it writes easily, smoothly and evenly, even my scrawl looks good. The nib is a No 7.

Melville and Moon have introduced a campaign writing desk that I had the pleasure of sitting at yesterday. Imagine the pleasure of putting that Holland and Holland pen to some fine bond at that very desk, field bar to one side and the Zambezi flowing by metres away.

It shall be done!
ECC6A40B-3A5D-4239-A68A-2DB42BA97C5A.jpeg

Melville and Moon have introduced a campaign writing desk that I had the pleasure of sitting at yesterday. Imagine the pleasure of putting that Holland and Holland pen to some fine bond at that very desk, field bar to one side and the Zambezi flowing by metres away.

It shall be done!
View attachment 536312
I couldn’t help noticing (as a carpenter and the grandson of a carpenter joiner) that the legs for the desk have been set up back to front BUT that kind of error often happens with advertising images. Nice looking kit, provided that the missus gets what she wants, first.

A word of caution about Cross pens. The ink they put in their cartridges is crap. Too thick and doesn't flow. Unfortunately, my custom burl pen only accepts Cross cartridges. Fortunately, it also has an optional plunger pump. It likes Scrip ink the best but very hard to find up here. Parker ink is all that's available at our local office supply. Hmmm. There is an artist supply store in town that may have other options. I'll check. Twenty years ago when I was doing my PhD in Winnipeg I had lots to choose from for my cheap Shaeffer pen (from my HS days!). My favorite color back then was "Peacock Blue" with a bit of regular blue mixed in to make my writing unique.

What ink and color are you guys using?

Last edited:

It shall be done!
View attachment 536312
I could make that stuff ... but I don't know why I would. Not very utilitarian. Maybe the desk would make a nice gift for a kid heading to college? Hmmm. My grandson turns ten today. Too late for this birthday but maybe next year. I doubt I'll live long enough to see him off to college but I can give him another good reason to head in that direction.

I could make that stuff ... but I don't know why I would. Not very utilitarian. Maybe the desk would make a nice gift for a kid heading to college? Hmmm. My grandson turns ten today. Too late for this birthday but maybe next year. I doubt I'll live long enough to see him off to college but I can give him another good reason to head in that direction.
For pleasure old man, for pleasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg