For Sale Books About Africa Hunting & Rifles & Other Hunting Books

Douglas Johnson

AH member
Reaction score
I am continuing to liquidate my personal library of books related to firearms and hunting. I am listing below some of the available items.

While I am listing fixed prices as the rules require, I will respectfully consider ALL offers. I am never offended by an offer--the worst that can happen is that I will decline or perhaps make a counter-offer. My gmail address is my full name, Douglas Dean Johnson, with dots between the names.

Bona fides: I am pretty new here but a longtime active participant on the smith-wessonforum-dot-com, and you can check out my past feedback using the "search this forum" tool in the "Classified > Feedback" subforum (search feedback by user name-- ddeanjohnson). (I co-authored the chapter on Single Shot Pistols in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Fourth Edition).) My books are also listed on that forum.

Prices include shipping via USPS Media Mail rate, which includes a free tracking number. Please add a $4 shipping surcharge if you order only a single book, but I will pay shipping on all multiple-book orders. However, insurance will be added only if the buyer requests it (I do not recommend it), and pays the insurance fee. No international shipping.

Acceptable payment methods are personal check, USPS money order, or Zelle. Again: Please add a $4 shipping surcharge if you order only a single book, but I will pay shipping on all multiple-book orders.

I will provide photos on request, as time allows and within reason.

A-2: Rifles for Africa: Practical Advice on Rifles and Ammunition for an African Safari. Gregor Woods. Safari Press 2nd Edition, 2002. One of the most highly regarded books on this subject. As new with as-new dust jacket. $125.

A-3: Dangerous Game Rifles, Second Edition. Terry Wieland. 2009. As new with dust jacket. $28

A-4: Safari Rifles II: Doubles, Magazine Rifles, and Cartridges for African Hunting. Craig Boddington. Safari Press 2nd Edition, 2009. As new, with as-new dust jacket. 594 pages, many color photos. $35.

A-5: Legends of the Hunt, by John Seerey-Lester. Legends Press, 2009. This is the "hardcover trade edition," 12.5x11.5 inch format, with full-color dust jacket. Full-color reproductions of 105 Seerey-Lester paintings "depicting the greatest sportsmen and explorers between the years 1849 and 1933" -- Teddy Roosevelt, Jim Corbett, Frederick Selous, et al. Excellent condition. This book has been out of print for awhile, and copies on Amazon and ebay, when they show up, may go for $200-300 or higher, often in lesser condition. $140.

A-10: Death in the Silent Places. Peter Hathaway Capstick. 1981. VG with dust jacket. $10.

A-25: Hunter's Tracks. J.A. Hunter. 1999 Safari Press edition, a reprint of 1957 original. Very good with dust jacket. $25.

A-27: Rifleman's Progress. Ellis Christian Lenz. 1946. Good condition. Dust jacket has creases, rubbings, minor repairs. $20.

A-30: The Wild Sports of Southern Africa. Captain William Cornwallis Harris, originally published 1840. Briar Patch Press edition (The African Collection), 1987. Leather bound, gold-gilt page edges. $50.

A-31: Inside Safari Hunting. Dennis Holman. 1969. Good condition, no dust jacket. $25.

A-35: Use Enough Gun. Robert C. Ruark. 1966 Safari Press edition. Very good with dust jacket. $55.

A-39: With Rifle and Petticoat: Women as Big Game Hunters, 1880-1940. Kenneth P. Czech. 2002. Excellent condition with dust jacket (some rubbings on the dust jacket). Autographed. $22.

A-43: Unrepentant Sinner: The Autobiography of Colonel Charles Askins. Paladin Press, 1985. Trade paperback. The adventures of Col. Askins, including "hunting tiger in Asia" and "his career as one of the world's leading big-game hunters." This copy is in very good condition -- basically as new, except for minor creases in cover, and the corners of three pages have been folded over. This book is out of print and rare; the cheapest used copy on Amazon is over $140. My price: $110.

A-44: Lions King of Beasts. Lee Server. 1993. 11x12-inch format. Excellent with dust jacket. $15.

A-45: The Boer War Illustrated Edition. Thomas Pakenham. 1993 Random House illustrated edition based on 1979 work. Over 200 photographs and maps. 9x11-inch format. 309 pages. $25.

H-1: Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles. Charles S. Landis. This is the original 1948 Small-Arms Technical publication, not one of the many later reprints. No dust jacket. A well-read but completely intact, decent copy of this classic. $60.

H-2: Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles. Charles S. Landris. This is the original 1951 edition. No dust jacket. The front cover board is a little bit loose, but all the pages are intact. A classic technical work on varmint cartridges and loads of the era. $25.

H-4: The Ultimate Guide to Handgun Hunting: Tips and Tactics for Hunting Small and Big Game. Clair Rees. 2003. Case laminate hard cover, as new. $25.

H-7: How to Select and Use Your Big Game Rifle. Henry B. Stebbins. First Edition, 1952. Good copy, no dust jacket. $15

H-8: Rifle in Hand. Jim Posewitz. 2004. Hardcover, with dust jacket, as new, autographed by author. $25.

H-10: Game in the Desert Revisited. Jack O'Connor. Amwell Press. Copyright 1977, Second Printing (Trade Edition) March 1984. Cardboard sleeve. 7.25x10-inch format, 306 pages. The book is in very good condition -- minor edge wear and minor marks on the cloth cover. There may be the faintest odor of tobacco. The box is fully intact but has a discolored strip about one inch wide along one edge. $25.

H-14: Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting. First Edition, 1948. No dust jacket. Some wear on the boards and spin, minor discoloration. A completely intact and readable copy of a classic. $28.

H-15: Keith's Rifles for Big Game. Elmer Keith. Palladium Press, 2001 Firearms Classic Library edition of the 1946 classic. Gold-embossed boards, gilt page edges. As new. $40.

H-16: Big Game Rifles and Cartridges. Elmer Keith. Original 1936 publication by Small-Arms Technical. A well-worn but completely intact copy of this classic. 7.5x4.5-inch format. Some of the lettering has been worn off the cover by handling. $25.

H-17: Keith: An Autobiography. Elmer Keith. 1973. Book is good to very good. Dust jacket has some sun-tanning on spine, tattered corners. $55.

H-18: Twenty Great Trophy Hunts: Personal Accounts of Hunting North America's Big Game Animals. Edited by John O. Cartier. Fair copy-- no dust jacket, some soiling of boards and discoloration of page edges. Completely intact and readable. $7.

H-19: Where to Hunt American Game. This is a hardcover guide published by United States Cartridge Company in Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1898. It is divided into chapters by state. They did a nice job -- scores of illustration plates of game animals. Gold-embossed bear on the cover. Gilt page edges. No dust jacket. This book is in remarkably good condition for its age-- some age spots here and there, but no musty smell. Well read but intact. $25.

H-21. A Hunt for Justice, The True Story of a Woman Undercover Wildlife Agent. Lucinda Delaney Schroeder. 2006. Very good with dust jacket. $7.

H-22: The Best of Field & Stream: 100 Years of Great Writing. Edited by J.I. Merritt. 1995. Hardcover with dust jacket and mylar cover; the book looks new except that there is a library number taped to the spine of the dust jacket and another library sticker taped to the back of the dust jacket. $15.

H-23: 100 Years of Hunting. From the editors of Voyageur Press. An anthology of essays on hunting by 18 authors from 1905 to 1995-- Zane Grey, Ernest Hemingway, Robert Ruark, Sigurd Olson, Jimmy Carter, et al, et al. 9x11.5-inch, hardcover, 224 pages, with dust jacket, excellent condition. $22.

H-24: Summer's Song & Other Essays. Don L. Johnson. 2005. Essays on the Wisconsin outdoors by noted outdoor writer Don L. Johnson (1927-2006). Trade paperback, 299 pages. As new. $22.

H-25: Grouse & Woodcock: A Gunner's Guide. Don L. Johnson. 1995. A guide to grouse hunting, dogs, etc. Trade paperback, 220 pages. As new. $23.

H-26: Advanced Hunting on Deer and Elk Trails. Francis E. Sell. This is the original 1954 Stackpole hardcover edition of a classic (NOT a reprint), in good condition, but no dust cover. $25.

H-27: Legendary Deer Camps. Robert Wegner. 2001. Hardcover, with dust jacket (a few small defects in dust jacket). $18.

Again: My gmail address is my full name, Douglas Dean Johnson, with dots between the names.
Legends of the Hunt.jpg

Last edited:
I am continuing to liquidate my personal library of books related to firearms and hunting. I am listing below some of the available items.

While I am listing fixed prices as the rules require, I will respectfully consider ALL offers. I am never offended by an offer--the worst that can happen is that I will decline or perhaps make a counter-offer. My gmail address is my full name, Douglas Dean Johnson, with dots between the names.

Bona fides: I am pretty new here but a longtime active participant on the smith-wessonforum-dot-com, and you can check out my past feedback using the "search this forum" tool in the "Classified > Feedback" subforum (search feedback by user name-- ddeanjohnson). (I co-authored the chapter on Single Shot Pistols in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Fourth Edition).) My books are also listed on that forum.

Prices include shipping via USPS Media Mail rate, which includes a free tracking number. Please add a $4 shipping surcharge if you order only a single book, but I will pay shipping on all multiple-book orders. However, insurance will be added only if the buyer requests it (I do not recommend it), and pays the insurance fee. No international shipping.

Acceptable payment methods are personal check, USPS money order, or Zelle. Again: Please add a $4 shipping surcharge if you order only a single book, but I will pay shipping on all multiple-book orders.

I will provide photos on request, as time allows and within reason.

A-2: Rifles for Africa: Practical Advice on Rifles and Ammunition for an African Safari. Gregor Woods. Safari Press 2nd Edition, 2002. One of the most highly regarded books on this subject. As new with as-new dust jacket. $125.

A-3: Dangerous Game Rifles, Second Edition. Terry Wieland. 2009. As new with dust jacket. $28

A-4: Safari Rifles II: Doubles, Magazine Rifles, and Cartridges for African Hunting. Craig Boddington. Safari Press 2nd Edition, 2009. As new, with as-new dust jacket. 594 pages, many color photos. $35.

A-5: Legends of the Hunt, by John Seerey-Lester. Legends Press, 2009. This is the "hardcover trade edition," 12.5x11.5 inch format, with full-color dust jacket. Full-color reproductions of 105 Seerey-Lester paintings "depicting the greatest sportsmen and explorers between the years 1849 and 1933" -- Teddy Roosevelt, Jim Corbett, Frederick Selous, et al. Excellent condition. This book has been out of print for awhile, and copies on Amazon and ebay, when they show up, may go for $200-300 or higher, often in lesser condition. $140.

A-10: Death in the Silent Places. Peter Hathaway Capstick. 1981. VG with dust jacket. $10.

A-25: Hunter's Tracks. J.A. Hunter. 1999 Safari Press edition, a reprint of 1957 original. Very good with dust jacket. $25.

A-27: Rifleman's Progress. Ellis Christian Lenz. 1946. Good condition. Dust jacket has creases, rubbings, minor repairs. $20.

A-30: The Wild Sports of Southern Africa. Captain William Cornwallis Harris, originally published 1840. Briar Patch Press edition (The African Collection), 1987. Leather bound, gold-gilt page edges. $50.

A-31: Inside Safari Hunting. Dennis Holman. 1969. Good condition, no dust jacket. $25.

A-35: Use Enough Gun. Robert C. Ruark. 1966 Safari Press edition. Very good with dust jacket. $55.

A-39: With Rifle and Petticoat: Women as Big Game Hunters, 1880-1940. Kenneth P. Czech. 2002. Excellent condition with dust jacket (some rubbings on the dust jacket). Autographed. $22.

A-43: Unrepentant Sinner: The Autobiography of Colonel Charles Askins. Paladin Press, 1985. Trade paperback. The adventures of Col. Askins, including "hunting tiger in Asia" and "his career as one of the world's leading big-game hunters." This copy is in very good condition -- basically as new, except for minor creases in cover, and the corners of three pages have been folded over. This book is out of print and rare; the cheapest used copy on Amazon is over $140. My price: $110.

A-44: Lions King of Beasts. Lee Server. 1993. 11x12-inch format. Excellent with dust jacket. $15.

A-45: The Boer War Illustrated Edition. Thomas Pakenham. 1993 Random House illustrated edition based on 1979 work. Over 200 photographs and maps. 9x11-inch format. 309 pages. $25.

H-1: Twenty-Two Caliber Varmint Rifles. Charles S. Landis. This is the original 1948 Small-Arms Technical publication, not one of the many later reprints. No dust jacket. A well-read but completely intact, decent copy of this classic. $60.

H-2: Woodchucks and Woodchuck Rifles. Charles S. Landris. This is the original 1951 edition. No dust jacket. The front cover board is a little bit loose, but all the pages are intact. A classic technical work on varmint cartridges and loads of the era. $25.

H-4: The Ultimate Guide to Handgun Hunting: Tips and Tactics for Hunting Small and Big Game. Clair Rees. 2003. Case laminate hard cover, as new. $25.

H-7: How to Select and Use Your Big Game Rifle. Henry B. Stebbins. First Edition, 1952. Good copy, no dust jacket. $15

H-8: Rifle in Hand. Jim Posewitz. 2004. Hardcover, with dust jacket, as new, autographed by author. $25.

H-10: Game in the Desert Revisited. Jack O'Connor. Amwell Press. Copyright 1977, Second Printing (Trade Edition) March 1984. Cardboard sleeve. 7.25x10-inch format, 306 pages. The book is in very good condition -- minor edge wear and minor marks on the cloth cover. There may be the faintest odor of tobacco. The box is fully intact but has a discolored strip about one inch wide along one edge. $25.

H-14: Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting. First Edition, 1948. No dust jacket. Some wear on the boards and spin, minor discoloration. A completely intact and readable copy of a classic. $28.

H-15: Keith's Rifles for Big Game. Elmer Keith. Palladium Press, 2001 Firearms Classic Library edition of the 1946 classic. Gold-embossed boards, gilt page edges. As new. $40.

H-16: Big Game Rifles and Cartridges. Elmer Keith. Original 1936 publication by Small-Arms Technical. A well-worn but completely intact copy of this classic. 7.5x4.5-inch format. Some of the lettering has been worn off the cover by handling. $25.

H-17: Keith: An Autobiography. Elmer Keith. 1973. Book is good to very good. Dust jacket has some sun-tanning on spine, tattered corners. $55.

H-18: Twenty Great Trophy Hunts: Personal Accounts of Hunting North America's Big Game Animals. Edited by John O. Cartier. Fair copy-- no dust jacket, some soiling of boards and discoloration of page edges. Completely intact and readable. $7.

H-19: Where to Hunt American Game. This is a hardcover guide published by United States Cartridge Company in Lowell, Massachusetts, in 1898. It is divided into chapters by state. They did a nice job -- scores of illustration plates of game animals. Gold-embossed bear on the cover. Gilt page edges. No dust jacket. This book is in remarkably good condition for its age-- some age spots here and there, but no musty smell. Well read but intact. $25.

H-21. A Hunt for Justice, The True Story of a Woman Undercover Wildlife Agent. Lucinda Delaney Schroeder. 2006. Very good with dust jacket. $7.

H-22: The Best of Field & Stream: 100 Years of Great Writing. Edited by J.I. Merritt. 1995. Hardcover with dust jacket and mylar cover; the book looks new except that there is a library number taped to the spine of the dust jacket and another library sticker taped to the back of the dust jacket. $15.

H-23: 100 Years of Hunting. From the editors of Voyageur Press. An anthology of essays on hunting by 18 authors from 1905 to 1995-- Zane Grey, Ernest Hemingway, Robert Ruark, Sigurd Olson, Jimmy Carter, et al, et al. 9x11.5-inch, hardcover, 224 pages, with dust jacket, excellent condition. $22.

H-24: Summer's Song & Other Essays. Don L. Johnson. 2005. Essays on the Wisconsin outdoors by noted outdoor writer Don L. Johnson (1927-2006). Trade paperback, 299 pages. As new. $22.

H-25: Grouse & Woodcock: A Gunner's Guide. Don L. Johnson. 1995. A guide to grouse hunting, dogs, etc. Trade paperback, 220 pages. As new. $23.

H-26: Advanced Hunting on Deer and Elk Trails. Francis E. Sell. This is the original 1954 Stackpole hardcover edition of a classic (NOT a reprint), in good condition, but no dust cover. $25.

H-27: Legendary Deer Camps. Robert Wegner. 2001. Hardcover, with dust jacket (a few small defects in dust jacket). $18.

Again: My gmail address is my full name, Douglas Dean Johnson, with dots between the names.View attachment 608478
i will take A5 Lester

LivingTheDream purchased H-25, but FYI I have multiple copies of H-24 and H-25 because those two books were written by my late father.

I'll take A-2, A-3, A-43, and A-44.
Sending PM now.

I'll take A45, H23, and H35

This ad has now been superseded by a cleaned-up and expanding listing of books that I posted in Classified on June 2, 2024.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
68ok9

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25