For Civil War buffs: my “new” rifle

Yes! I've gotten to the point where the guns I really enjoy shooting are either the DG bolt guns in 416 or 458 or the old Mexican War and Civil War era muzzleloading rifles in 54, 577/58 or 69 caliber. I've been shooting those two types 10 to 1 over all the others in the safe over the last few years. And yes, if the bore is decent in that M1861, shoot it! Replace the nipple, check for soundness around the nipple seat and the breech end, load 50-60 gr of FF blackpowder under a Crisco lubed Minie, cap and fire!! :):)
What brand powder do you use?

Had always shot Dupont or GOEX (or whatever was available), but the last 4-5 years been using Graf powder which is Wano/ Schuetzen made in Germany. Works well as far as I can tell and in some ways maybe a little better for Minie´ shooters because fouling tends to be a little softer if not scrubbing between shots.

In case any doubts about how well these old originals shot/shoot... here's a couple of targets I shot at 50 yards. Both rifle are originals- first is a "Mississippi" M1841 w/thick skirted 54 cal 410 gr pure lead Lyman Minie´- 5 shots and the second is a Springfield M1863 with thin skirted 58 cal 410 gr pure lead RCBS Minie´- 3 shots.

Can usually shoot 10-15 shots without cleaning or scrubbing if it's a bit humid. But only about 5 shots if low humidity. Smear Crisco in grooves with finger and seat Minie´ firmly on top of powder.

M1841 target.jpg

US M1863.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Great shooting! I’ll have to shoot my original too.
What is your opinion of the black powder substitutes like Pyrodex?

Pyrodex will work. However, it leaves hard fouling so probably have to wipe between shots for decent results with Minie´s. I discovered that in the mid-70s just after it was introduced and never used it again. It is also as corrosive if not more so than black powder. Cleaning with soapy water, rinsing, drying and oiling after a shooting day, same as for black powder, is a must. I don't know of any serious shooters who use it in originals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!