Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Short story: looking for recommendations for a “good” fresh water and a salt water set up.

Longer story: I use to fly fish ALOT as child until was old enough to drive and priorities change. Did a lot of blue gill and bass fishing as well as some trout in creek fishing. Also was fortunate to spend every summer in islamorada fishing. During this time I was using “kits” like you get for a beginner at bass pro.

Now that I have stopped chasing “girls” and hunting season here in SC is only so long it’s time to get back to fly fishing. I live on the coast but there’s a good amount of creeks/rivers within couple hour drive and planning to hunt Arizona and Wyoming this year. Then obviously I want a salt water set up for inlet fishing on kayaks.

Not looking for top of the line set up but don’t want a $70 kit either. Want something worth toting on a plane when travel and don’t have to replace each year.

Thanks for any help

Dale

6815762E-BAD6-4337-BB95-8AB903489E55.jpeg
A24AA78F-19AC-43DF-8B30-0ACAC97900DE.jpeg
I use a Temple Fork Outfitters 8 weight for bass and Alaska salmon to Florida snook, specs and anything I can hook. No clue what the current price is. The drag has held up to fish in the 10lb range.
Also the fly is a classic Clouser in chartreuse and white. It too works for most anything.

Good luck in your choices!

I have 4 and 8 wt Temple Fork Outfitters with Lawson Liquid reels and a Cabela’s 6 wt combo (it was a $450 combo and isn’t bad).
As Ohio isn’t the trout meca of the world and we’re not on the coast, I fish mainly for panfish and bass. I got the 8 wt in hopes of sometime fishing for bonefish. TFO are tough rods and won’t break the bank.
For salt water you may want to consider a 9 or 10 wt to fight the wind and for permit and tarpon.

Every fly fishing manufacturer realized that there is a huge demand for good rods and reels that do not break the bank. Your problem is envious in that there are many models to choose from. The best strategy is to visit fly shops and cast them to see which ones you like. Look carefully at warranties because that is where the companies vary. It has been said that a 5 weight and an eight weight will get you through most fishing situations in North America, so that is a good starting point. I would go with 9 foot, four piece rods for versatility, and ease of travel. You will pay, say, 200 to 400 dollars for a rod in that range. Your local fly shop will bend over backwards to help you. If they do not, find another. The mid-price point models may have a more moderate action, be a tiny bit heavier than premium rods, and have slightly less fancy fittings. They may be made overseas. So they may not be the counterpart of a Blaser, but they will be nice Winchester Model 70's. Temple Fork outfitters is a good choice, I have a couple of them and use them as frequently as my fancy models. I would stay away from the big box store brands because they are just not as nice as those from the well-known brands who specialize almost entirely in rod production.

If that does not work, find a local fly fishing club and attend their garage sale or swap meet. You will find nickels and dimes on the dollar bargains, but most will be two-piece rods that anglers have replaced with four-piece models because they are easier to drag around.

Another strategy is to look for discontinued models that are often discounted by 25% or more. Super easy to find on the internet, but you can't cast it until it arrives. Harder to find at fly shops, but still possible.

We the inane who stand in rivers and wave sticks are an elite club, but it does not cost that much to join if you look around.

Thanks,

Jeff

I guess I should solicit on here if anyone’s selling a moderate priced set up to let me know. I’ve never seen a fly shop in Myrtle beach but now I shall google and find out

Reactions: BWH
What will you be fishing for? That will determine the weight and, to some extent, the length of the rods you select.

I know that the SC coast can get windy during some months. Fishing from a kayak already impacts your cast so I would look for a fast action rod, maybe an 8 weight, that will enable you to punch those bigger redfish flies through the wind.

I use Sage and Scott rods exclusively and they make a good mid-price rod. As others have said, the best thing to do is yo try some out and see what feels right to you.

You could try the Orvis in Myrtle Beach or Intracoastal Angler in Wilmington.

I guess I should solicit on here if anyone’s selling a moderate priced set up to let me know. I’ve never seen a fly shop in Myrtle beach but now I shall google and find out

I’ll pm you....

Fishing for reds and sea trout and anything I can convince.

Fresh water will be typical stream/river fishing

Sage makes a good mid-range saltwater rod called the "Motive". Get a 9 foot, 8 weight for $500 and you'll have all you need for reds and specks. Pair that with a Nautilus X-Series reel for $275 and you're good to go.

The trout rod might be trickier, depending on if you're primarily nymphing, using streamers for bigger fish, etc. Try a Scott Foundation ($325) or Pulse ($450) in a 5 weight. I fished a new Scott rod on the South Holston river this week that was a dream; 10' 4 weight. We were fishing nymph rigs mostly and the extra length really made it nice. If you're fishing smaller streams with lots of overhanging trees and bushes, a shorter rod, such as a 7'6" or 8'6" might be best. Pair that with a Lamson reel for about $300 and you're ready.

I know nothing about salt water fly fishing dailordasailor, but I have a few hours on Arizona waters (and in the West, up to the Russian river in Alaska) :sneaky:

DSC00372.JPG

Colorado River at Lee's Ferry (Arizona)

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

San Juan River at Navajo Dam (New Mexico)

P6100127.JPG

Canyon Creek (Arizona)

P4130081.JPG

Oak Creek (Arizona)

I have spent more money than reasonable on a number of Orvis Helios $1,000++ set-up, and ... I have 5 kids, now young adults, who all needed to get set up as beginners, then with "good quality but don't break the bank" adult kits.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Orvis Clearwater kits (rod, reel and fly line). For $325 you get a true Orvis product, complete with 25 year guarantee, that performs so amazingly close to a $1,400 Helios kit, that it is not even funny !?!?!?!? As stated I own a number of Helios set-up and all my kids have Clearwater kits, and yes there is a difference, but NOT a $1,000 difference, at least not in my book...

Go Orvis Clearwater and never look back!

For Arizona you will want two (or possibly three) kits:

1) Big and fast (and sometimes scary!) tailwaters on the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry below Glen Canyon Dam, or more peaceful neighboring San Juan waters at Navajo Dam will require a midflex 9 feet #5 weight for nymphing.

2) Arizona tailwaters or strong Wyoming Yellowstone or Snake River waters will require a midflex 9 feet #7 weight for streamers for big brownies, rainbows or steelheads.

3) Tiny wet nymphs or dry flies in tiny mountains streams for tiny brook, rainbows or Apache trouts will require a full flex 7 1/2 feet #3 weight. Very delicate fishing. Intoxicating!

And Yeeeessss, fly fishing season is year long in Arizona (y)

Last edited:
Wow “ oneday” that’s allot of info and I appreciate it! Working with BWH on getting a salt water set up hopefully. Don’t know that I’m ready to buy 4 set ups as I havnt held a fly rod in 10 years so may look for a happy medium for some pond fishing to start

If you want a quality rod, with a lot of bang for your buck, check out "Echo" flyrods.

It is a company formed by, Tim Rajeff, a former rod engineer for Loomis.

Last edited:
I know nothing about salt water fly fishing dailordasailor, but I have a few hours on Arizona waters (and in the West, up to the Russian river in Alaska) :sneaky:

View attachment 278635

View attachment 278636

View attachment 278637
San Juan River at Navajo Dam (New Mexico)

View attachment 278638
Canyon Creek (Arizona)

View attachment 278639
Oak Creek (Arizona)

I have spent more money than reasonable on a number of Orvis Helios $1,000++ set-up, and ... I have 5 kids, now young adults, who all needed to get set up as beginners, then with "good quality but don't break the bank" adult kits.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Orvis Clearwater kits (rod, reel and fly line). For $325 you get a true Orvis product, complete with 25 year guarantee, that performs so amazingly close to a $1,400 Helios kit, that it is not even funny !?!?!?!? As stated I own a number of Helios set-up and all my kids have Clearwater kits, and yes there is a difference, but NOT a $1,000 difference, at least not in my book...

Go Orvis Clearwater and never look back!

For Arizona you will want two (or possibly three) kits:

1) Big and fast (and sometimes scary!) tailwaters on the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry below Glen Canyon Dam, or more peaceful neighboring San Juan waters at Navajo Dam will require a midflex 9 feet #5 weight for nymphing.

2) Arizona tailwaters or strong Wyoming Yellowstone or Snake River waters will require a midflex 9 feet #7 weight for streamers for big brownies, rainbows or steelheads.

3) Tiny wet nymphs or dry flies in tiny mountains streams for tiny brook, rainbows or Apache trouts will require a full flex 7 1/2 feet #3 weight. Very delicate fishing. Intoxicating!

And Yeeeessss, fly fishing season is year long in Arizona (y)
+1 for the orvis clearwater. I use an 8wt 4 piece that I carry on plane. Bonefish and permit in keys, around Islamorada and Annes beach .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-17 Clearwater 5-Weight 9' Fly Rod Clearwater® 5-Weight 9' Fly Rod -- Orvis.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-17 Clearwater 5-Weight 9' Fly Rod Clearwater® 5-Weight 9' Fly Rod -- Orvis.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg