First Timers Expectations

Get what all is saying,and agree with BRICKBURN especially.

I must admit I would rather bag 4 - 5 great ones, in 9 days than go ballistic...., If ones puts in the time and really hunt hard for each specie the hunt will be so much more memorable......, once the trigger breaks it's all over,...... it is every little detail and aspect of the hunt that builds up to that one moment just before the trigger breaks that makes it all worth while, the raw knees and elbows (crawling), the feeling of fatigue and I can't go any more..... the sweat that stings your eyes so they can't focus......... and even the one that got away.... Those are things that I remember on ervery hunt that I do with a client, those are memories that they cherish and relive long after a return from Africa, even whilst driving to work.

Have a wonderfull hunt.

My best always.

Dear First Timer!! from an ole timer!!
My friend...relax!
As one of my favourite Ole artists Cat Stevens once wrote and sang;....relax, take it easy, you're still young, that's not your fault, there's so much you have to go through...lalalalala ;)
No seriously, you can't possibly predict how many critters you'll take and if you make it a mission to fill your list, you'll miss half the fun!
Ask yr outfitter to send you some references of folk that've been there and ask them what to realistically expect. If your lists too long, you're gonna be rushed through the experience as the outfitter seeks to maximise his income from your hunt. You may also get shunted from property to property in order to fill those tags!
Africa is like very good scotch...it should be savored at leisure! That's why Africans work on 'African time'! It's a little slower than 'European time' but less stressful!
Enjoy your safari!

Hello First Timer,

I agree with all the comments, especially from Ole Bally.
Relax, take your time. the reality is once you have hunted africa, it is impossible not to plan the next trip.
Hence, you are going to go back!
The other real sound advice I read is to focus on native species. Why shoot a sable (example) in a fenced property when you are likely to bump into one when you will one day go to Mozambique or Zimbabwe?
The only "mistake" I made with first african hunt was not to follow these rules, only to "regret" it when I was in position to get another specimen in its true environment.
Please, do not take it that I am against hunting in fenced property but rather that if you have a long list, then make the right choices!
You will love your experience in Africa!
Good hunting!

First Timer,
All that has been said previously, is fantastic advice. Concentrate on priority trophies, relax, take it all in and most importantly...Have fun. With that said, look at concentrating on the trophies that are mainly, only available in SA. Black Wildebeest, Mountain Reedbuck, Val Rhebuck, Cape Kudu, Cape Bushbuck etc.. While I enjoyed the East Cape immensely, I have gravetated to the DG areas in Zim & Moz. I wished I had taken some of the trophies that are indigenous to the East Cape while I was there. I also went to Natal area specifically for Nyala and should have concentrated on Red Duiker also, which I didn't! Getting close to retiring, I have to limit my trips to about one every 4-5 years.

"Once you leave Africa, it never leaves you"

From a First Timer to a First Timer

I am in the midst of planning my first trip and quickly became overwhelmed on the myriad of choices. One of the best pieces of advice I received was to narrow my expectations, which led me to focus on 4 animals. This will allow me to focus on that and if something else comes along really great so be it! Slowing down the pace will make it more enjoyable and likely lead to a second safari to much pressure and to many animals will takeaway from the trip making the experience feel more like work than a vacation! Have fun - look forward to reading about it.

twf I will be hunting the East Cape at the same time May/June it is also the same time of year that I hunted there in 2010 this is a great time of year for most of the game on your list will be in the rut making it easier to get your trophies. In 2010 I did a 7 day hunt 9 trophies and all but 1 the warthog are in the book for SCI 4 Bronze, 3 Silver and 1 Gold, you've got quite a list and you may not get all of them but you'll have a hell of a time trying and the ones you get if not all should be Damn Good ones. Be sure to rub the hair going down back of your springbucks this is were the musk sent gland is you'll not beleive it "cotton candy". Be sure to post your report with lots of pics when you get back can't wait to see how much you enjoyed it.

Dear First Timer!! from an ole timer!!
My friend...relax!
As one of my favourite Ole artists Cat Stevens once wrote and sang;....relax, take it easy, you're still young, that's not your fault, there's so much you have to go through...lalalalala ;)
No seriously, you can't possibly predict how many critters you'll take and if you make it a mission to fill your list, you'll miss half the fun!
Ask yr outfitter to send you some references of folk that've been there and ask them what to realistically expect. If your lists too long, you're gonna be rushed through the experience as the outfitter seeks to maximise his income from your hunt. You may also get shunted from property to property in order to fill those tags!
Africa is like very good scotch...it should be savored at leisure! That's why Africans work on 'African time'! It's a little slower than 'European time' but less stressful!
Enjoy your safari!

I agree 100 percent.

twf, you got the best possible advice from all the ol timers here.

Enjoy your hunt !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross