First time bear hunt?

Coastal brown bear and grizzlies are very, very expensive hunts.

Your not kindling there. That would be my Ultimate hunt. Found an outfitter in BC that was not bad with high success . Than BC ban grizzly hunting. Can't win some times

I done a fair bit of bear hunting but it has all been unguided, so I can’t help you much on the outfitter. As Red Leg said, spot and stalk is the way to go. I always found the second week of May to be the optimum for hide quality and activity level in Coastal Alaska. Go too early, most of the bear are still denned. Go too late and the hides are rubbed.

I would not hunt black bear in Alaska with a 7mm-08. Black bear are grizzly candy. I have twice had griz try to run me off a black bear kill. The .375 was feeling none too big about then.

I suspect that your wife would love a boat based hunt. My wife always wants to come along when we are running the boat down the coast. It is absolutely stunning country. She is very content to stay in the warm boat and read while we run the zodiac in to hunt.

Best of luck!

I’d like a .338wm All weather Bear rifle in the safe but probably won’t buy one. I know Americans a ought six fans but is a 7mm-8 enough? .308? .300wm? Other suggestions . My .375 is Blued Timber CZ550 American Safari
all of those rifle cartridges are adequate for black bears. Talk to your outfitter if you have doubts about your choice. I've personally used a .257 Roberts, 30-06, and .375H&H. All three worked as expected. :)

CBH Australia,

I live in Northeast Tennessee, and use to live in North Carolina. Hunting bear in these two states in some respects comparively like night and day, yet in some respects similar.

In teTenness and North Carolina bear hunting is limited to the US fall and winter months. In Tennessee a hunter can only kill one bear per year, I'm not sure and would have to check current regulations for North Carolina on their current bear hunting dates.

For Tennessee: you would purchase a non resident hunting license: All game; 7 day is $214.50USD, or Annual ALL game $306.00USD, as a non resident.

Note: go to twra.gov for full information on hunting and fishing in Tennessee.

Many of our seasons overlap so while bear hunting you will have an opportunity to see and/or shoot a whitetail dear or wild boar/ feral hog(s). Only deer and wild turkey can not be hunted with dogs. Wild turkey is shotgun or archery only, with #4 shot or smaller.

Other game will include: coyote, gray and red fox, and bobcat.

With the all game permit you can also hunt small game: rabbit, squirrel, grouse, quail, raccoon, beaver and a few other critters.

Add federal waterfowl ($25.00USD) and migratory bird stamps and you can hunt dove, ducks and geese.

Back to bear hunting: certain dates and areas are for archery bear hunting only: or muzzleloading/archery only: or open to hunters choice of using archery/ muzzleloading/ gun (rifle) or shotgun with slugs only).

Hunting bear is mainly along the eastern mountain area, in the National Forest. NO BAITING of game is allowed during the hunting season...September 1 through the last day of deer season and 2 weeks prior of and until the last day of spring turkey season.

Hunter orange is required during all big game hunts except during archery deer season and spring turkey season.

Bear hunting is either stand hunting or stalking or (with dogs when season allows). Minimum bear weight is 75 pounds. Sows with Cubs are not allowed to be killed, since cubs usually stay with their mother for up to two years, a 300 pound sow with a 150 pound+ cub neither are allowed to be killed. Bears generally weigh in around 200 to 400 pounds, with exception a 400+ to 500+ bear is possible. Length varies from typically 4 1/2 feet to 6 feet, with exception up to 6 1/2 to 7 feet nose to tail. The exception are very rare.
All bears are black in color, some lighter some darker.

Because these are all free ranging bears gaurante success is not a gaurante, not even when using dogs.

I don't use dogs but I do hunt in areas were other hunters, a hunt club or group of bear dog hunters hunt.

Other States to check out are South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Pennsylvania. Virginia is screwed up as each game animal requires a separate license which can get rather expensive, even for a resident.

Hope this information helps.

When you ask the term bucket hunt, was that something you read in relation to a bear hunt or just hunting in general?
Many guys use the term bucket hunt or bucket list referring to something they've always wanted to do.
Such as thinking of all the hunts you want to do in your life and putting them in a bucket together. When you finally get to do one it's one of your bucket hunts.

In searching through some other threads, if you haven't already, check out the thread Black Bear Outfitters in the States.

There's some good info on places, costs, types of hunts, etc.

@Wade J VanGinkel
I thought I read the term here “Bucket Bear” another poster had a couple of explanations too, all may mean something but I figured it must have been common.
My first guess was a bear taken from a tub, (boat, vessel) is that a bucket?
What is a bucket bear?

I would assume then it's referring to a baited bear as the bait is generally in a barrel or bucket per se.
Referring to a boat as a bucket is rare.

Here is a list of all the outfitters in Newfoundland, a bear package with two tags generally runs in the 5000$canadian range.
https://www.huntingnewfoundlandlabr.../outfitters?ProductIDs=18147&ProductIDs=18147
I did a moose hunt in newfoundland a number of years back. The moose hunt was 4k US but they threw in a bear tag for 300 more if we happened upon one. I was not so lucky but others were successful. About 30% odds incidental to the moose hunt is what they told me

I live Saskatchewan and hunt bears occasionally in Saskatchewan. I hate to admit it, but British Columbia has far better bear hunting. All the BC bear hunts are spot and stalk. In Saskatchewan you will almost certainly be sitting over a bait. Near our cabin in north central BC I have seen as many as 24 bears in 24 hours. ( not hunting, just casual sightings) That would be several years worth near home.
Schwarzbär.jpg

Sakskatchewan often produces very strong bears,but bait hunt.
But you are there alone (at my time) and you decide yourself about the shot, an advantage I find, without a PH generously telling me "shoot if you can".
Besides the prices are moderate.
You have to ask very carefully about the type of hunting, in BC, friends of mine were put on a quad and they drove 7 hours a day on the forest roads................this was also sold as spot and stalk :(.I'd rather sit alone at the bait.
Take the rifle that fits you best, you don't need a heavy weapon even for strong blackys.
7mm/30.06 (is enough) .
Spring is bear time hunting , we have always seen more than in autumn.Much more.
Foxi

Last edited:
I’ve just done a bit of research myself concerning black bear hunts. I’ve taken all the North American bears except polar. I’ve had the bug to take another black bear as my once upon a time German shepherd decided she didn’t like my rug and destroyed it so.... look in North Carolina. Conmans outfitting gets go reviews and results at a fair price.

I’ve had the bug to take another black bear as my once upon a time German shepherd decided she didn’t like my rug and destroyed it so.... l

:):):):) looks familiar to some dog owners

Sofa.jpg

honestly -the sofa started :sleep::sleep:

Lol

CBH

Carry what you like, but in all my years of hunting I have never heard anyone say that they wish they were carrying a less powerful round...... kinda in the same way a self professed non believer of God...... a devil worshiper........ demon tattoos and all.....not cry out for God to save his sorry ass after he got himself a class a.... number #1.... sucking chest wound .

I would carry your 375 and put the bear down hard.

Interesting info on the BC coastal black bear color phases- thanks for sharing that- must be a “brown color gene” floating around in that geographic enclave. With the exception of the SE AK “glacier bear” color phase which is kind of salt and pepper or silverish in appearance, for lack of better description, every black bear I’ve seen in AK, both coastal and interior has been black. Whereas farther south into the SW part of the US seems the brown phase becomes much more common.

To me, and this is purely subjective, the two most attractive black bear colors are black and a very dark brown. And truth be told it is very difficult to find spring bears with long, even and undamaged pelts. Even fresh out of the den, bears commonly show rubbing or other damage from a variety of reasons. IMO, the best quality bears are in the late fall. They have high quality, even length coats, show no rubbing and they are in top body condition prior to hibernation. The really light, blonde colored bears you often hear about or see pics of may really be late spring or young bears that haven’t fully shed the previous year’s hair yet. That blonde hue is not the true color but simply the cumulative effect of sun bleaching. Plus they would also likely be rubbed.

Last edited:
I’ve always been intrigued by the blue color phase. I doubt I will ever have a chance to hunt one.

If I wanted the meat, autumn would be my hunting season.
As a young guy, i once worked at a canadian outfitter (and trapping in wintertime) and we always had the most beautiful skins in spring.
Besides that success rate is much higher in spring.
It's been a few years now, but the bears will not have changed, i guess.
Only my short experiences,it need not apply to all regions.

Bear resized.jpg
Here is my Black Bear. He was 14.5 years old. Hunted him with dogs for 3 years before we were able to get him. This was in Calif USA when using dogs was legal. He measured B&C and is a bit over 6'X6'.
Now I want a color phase and cannot find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross