First Safari advice needed!

As others have posted, use a travel agency. As far as the off Joburg venues, my advice after my recent trip is DO NOT USE THEM! I met two newbies that arrived at Tambo with NO meet & greet that was supposed to be there and were basically left on their own when they arrived. They had to CALL one of the two well known off airport venues to come to the airport and then had to do the SAME THING ON THE RETURN! From this chair, FK that shit. This is absolutely a confirmation to use a travel agency that is NOT going to advise you leave the airport environs and will have you stay at one of the two adjacent hotels. As my PH, used to tell me, "NEVER LEAVE TAMBO and go in to Joburg"..

Last edited:
Also, try to enjoy the journey there and back. Lots of folks complain about the airlines, TSA, airports, etc. I guess I’m easily amused, but I love the trip. I get to drink good bourbon, eat an Ok or better meal, and sleep while hurtling through the atmosphere at 518 knots! Embrace the unadulterated privilege of flying to the Dark Continent…then spend your time on the return trip planning the next one.

Also, try to enjoy the journey there and back. Lots of folks complain about the airlines, TSA, airports, etc. I guess I’m easily amused, but I love the trip. I get to drink good bourbon, eat an Ok or better meal, and sleep while hurtling through the atmosphere at 518 knots! Embrace the unadulterated privilege of flying to the Dark Continent…then spend your time on the return trip planning the next one.
Totally agree. Coming from Anchorage Alaska I have gone through Frankfurt three times with most of the day as a layover going to Namibia twice and South Africa the other. I loved it. I Got out and checked out Frankfurt twice and hopped on a bus service to Heidelburg the other time. Walked around, got some fresh air, saw a few sights, had some good German food and drink and got used to the time zone before hitting the big continent. My last trip was through Amsterdam and then Paris in 21 so going out wasn't happening, but even then you can kick back and read a book.

@Rtsj im also from southwestern Pennsylvania, im curious what taxidermist you plan on using?
I as well live in SW Pa. Would also like to know your taxidermist. I had mine done in Africa and am reasonably pleased. Was afraid Whitetail taxidermist wouldn’t get the African animals correct. Also didn’t want to wait 2 years as with most local taxidermists.

Make a check-list of what you need to do and when it should be completed (and how many copies to take). Get all your paperwork done early.

Wow, you must have been on a private jet or in First/Business class, because that was totally different than my experience a month ago in cattle class on the 23 hour flight from DFW to Doha to JNB on Qatar. The seats were as narrow as I have ever experienced on domestic flights here. I'm 6'2" and couldn't move my legs hardly at all sideways and my knees were against the seat in front of me. The pre packaged food actually wasn't bad, but the flight was packed and it's a good thing the guy to my right was also right handed or we would have had to taken turns eating! I did sleep against the window though. Bourbon? Try and get a bottle of water (there wasn't any!)? You got half a cup from a pitcher. Not complaining for the price of cattle class, but I believe in transparency and this was my experience.

Heading to the Eastern Cape next June for my first Safari and have some questions and hope u fellas may be able to answer. I really want to take my own guns and plan on using an outfit over there called RiflePermits. Lots of stuff needed and seems to be worth it but really have no clue what is involved and how hard it is. Also plan on using a travel agent. Either Travel With Gun(TWG), Travel Express or Gracy travel. Is it worth the travel agency? Recommendations?

Also wanted to ask about Tips. What is acceptable on say an 8k safari for the outfitter? Do u tip Skinners, trackers, cooks, cleaning/laundry ladies?

Shipping trophies home? Plan on having my taxidermist here I’ve used for 30 years doing the mounts. Do u use a shipping agency to get hides/horns back home? Just get pack/dip? Get stuff tanned?

Appreciate the time and patience in reading and thank u guys in advance for any insight and advice!

Oh yeah should include my list of trophies I would like and guns I plan on taking.
Kudu, Nyala, Gemsbuck, Waterbuck, Blue Wildebeest, and Zebra

Rem 700 custom 6.5Prc with either 127LRX or 124 Hammer Hunters and a Sako Custom Deluxe 375H&H shooting 270gr Hammer Shock Hammers. The 6.5 will have a TBAC Ultra 7 on it.

Thanks Roy Schmidt
Travel Express. Read tipping by Jerome on AH. Excellent advice on exactly how to tip. Practice with sticks and free hand, sitting and kneeling. Read @oneday on how to shoot off sticks. Read Phillip Glass on what to take and you my friend should be in great shape even as a first timer. Enjoy!!!

Travel express is the best!!! Global rescue for part of your insurance, rescue insurance with them is great along with medical. Travel insurance too, shop around for that.
Phillip Glass made videos that are here for new members going to Africa, what to pack, paperwork and such.
Everything you ever wanted to know about anything Africa is in this website. These members are about the best sources for information anywhere. I planned my trip 18 months before leaving, my flight plans changed a few times during Covid last year, travel express worked it all out, I’m sure others will do the same but I couldn’t have been more satisfied with them. Evacuation insurance was cheap and made the wife very happy as I took our 13 year old son with me.
10 day hunt for ten animal, I gave my binos as a tip to my guide, and a few cartons of cigarettes to the trackers and skinners.
One year later I’m getting my taxidermy back, had them all done there. Can’t wait to open my crate.

Enjoy your trip, take a lot of pictures, it’s a great place to hunt. I’ll be back in 24

Wow, you must have been on a private jet or in First/Business class, because that was totally different than my experience a month ago in cattle class on the 23 hour flight from DFW to Doha to JNB on Qatar. The seats were as narrow as I have ever experienced on domestic flights here. I'm 6'2" and couldn't move my legs hardly at all sideways and my knees were against the seat in front of me. The pre packaged food actually wasn't bad, but the flight was packed and it's a good thing the guy to my right was also right handed or we would have had to taken turns eating! I did sleep against the window though. Bourbon? Try and get a bottle of water (there wasn't any!)? You got half a cup from a pitcher. Not complaining for the price of cattle class, but I believe in transparency and this was my experience.
Hi CoElkHunter! I’ve flown coach and business class to Africa. My coach-class experiences were on Delta…so I‘ve experienced deprivation!

My point is, I‘ve traveled a couple of thousand miles each trip in a bit under 30 hours (assuming a layover somewhere along the line.) I was fed, plied with alcohol (yes, even in coach) and at least napped most of the way. Not exactly like riding in steerage across the stormy Atlantic for weeks. That’s how real men did things when the modern age of safari started!

Yes, if one can afford business or first class, the experience is much better….especially on the Arab airlines.

Travel express and riflepermits are both worth every penny - Highly recommend them. Tips are a touchy subject but I generally estimate 20% of the cost of hunt - assuming excellent service. If DG is involved I tipped a bit extra, especially to the tracker and PH. Tons of great advice on here for rifle selection - take what you have and use a premium bullet. I’ve used 243, 270, and 30-06, 375HH, 404J on PG with great success - good shot placement with a premium bullet and all have the same result. Most likely will just take a 375HH with 300 gr Barnes TSX for all future hunts. It’s great to take your rifle but it does add quite a bit of weight to take 2.

i usually fly United - Premium plus for the extra legroom and it’s not that much more $ than coach - way less than business.

Most all of my mounts are European - only opted for a nice Nyala shoulder and a sable pedestal, everything else euro - way less expensive and much less space on the wall. Only been on 2 safaris but will be back many more times - saving room on the wall for the 68” monster kudu shoulder mount….. a guy can dream right?

I will give you some different advice. Just purchase your ticket yourself. It’s easy to do the airline paperwork, and you have control of your ticket and not the travel agent. Want to pick your seat, the travel agent as to do that. Want to use your airline app, worthless. Everything through the agent.

Do you have an Amex card with evacuation coverage, don’t waste your money on Global Rescue or Ripcord unless you need the security portion, which unfortunately has to be purchased with the evacuation coverage. And you really don’t need them if you are just staying in RSA. Remember you are going to RSA a former first world country, that still has good medical care and at one time had some of the best surgeons in the world.

You can easily do your rifle permit yourself, but that is worth spending the money on, cuts way down on “tip” money at the airport but does not eliminate the tip money.

If you have to stay at a hotel, stay at the airport - Intercontinental, City Lodge or Protea Transit. While I have stayed at Africa Sky, I would not do that again. The airport hotels are just too convenient.

I also would not screw around with two guns, just take the 375, and different grain bullets. Some airlines are changing per gun and not per gun case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross