Finally got my W.J. Jeffery 8-bore shooting!

I did some more testing today, this was a 1200gr bullet over 285gr of FFg black powder. Sadley, these did not shoot well, but for a change, my neighbor was there to record the testing.

Here are some short videos, hope they work:

That recoil through your back looked cool in the second video.
In the immortal words of my friend, "look at that back fat jiggle!". :E Rofl:

In the first video it's hard to tell, but the second video its more obvious, these cartridges have fairly heavy recoil. They don't hurt to shoot but they strain the muscles on your back. My limit is 4 shots in a sitting, beyond that and I will have muscle pain in my upper back for most of the following week.

I'm sure many of you will notice that I did not do well with these first two shots. The first video was my first shot and the second video was the second shot. However, after these videos were made, I loaded up two more cartridges and put them down range to confirm the load was not suitable. The right barrel shoots way left while the left barrel shoots far right.

I will try 280gr of black powder next time. But I'm not concerned as my smokeless load has already proved to be accurate enough for hunting.

My neighbor (who recorded the shooting) also took two shots with round balls over 10 drams (275gr) of black powder and one shot with my 1200gr smokeless load, did very well! All three of his shots would have been fatal to a buffalo at our 48 yard distance (the entire length of my yard).

Last edited:
@Boone66 I do find it interesting that Schutzen FFg seems to be equal or more potent then the original black powder used. My ball load over 10 drams of powder actually crosses and increasing my powder load on the 1200gr bullets to 285gr completely destroyed any regulation I had with 10 drams.

@Boone66 I do find it interesting that Schutzen FFg seems to be equal or more potent then the original black powder used. My ball load over 10 drams of powder actually crosses and increasing my powder load on the 1200gr bullets to 285gr completely destroyed any regulation I had with 10 drams.
Schutzen is a more polished I think, so is a bit hotter then say goes, Swiss is even more so. I honestly didn't think it would destroy the pattern like that though.

In the immortal words of my friend, "look at that back fat jiggle!". :E Rofl:

In the first video it's hard to tell, but the second video its more obvious, these cartridges have fairly heavy recoil. They don't hurt to shoot but they strain the muscles on your back. My limit is 4 shots in a sitting, beyond that and I will have muscle pain in my upper back for most of the following week.

I'm sure many of you will notice that I did not do well with these first two shots. The first video was my first shot and the second video was the second shot. However, after these videos were made, I loaded up two more cartridges and put them down range to confirm the load was not suitable. The right barrel shoots way left while the left barrel shoots far right.

I will try 280gr of black powder next time. But I'm not concerned as my smokeless load has already proved to be accurate enough for hunting.

My neighbor (who recorded the shooting) also took two shots with round balls over 10 drams (275gr) of black powder and one shot with my 1200gr smokeless load, did very well! All three of his shots would have been fatal to a buffalo at our 48 yard distance (the entire length of my yard).
Have you shot it over a crony yet?

Schutzen is a more polished I think, so is a bit hotter then say goes, Swiss is even more so. I honestly didn't think it would destroy the pattern like that though.

I'm going to test loads of 270gr and 265gr of Schutzen FFg under a ball to see if I can improve my ball cartridges. I will do the same with the 1200gr bullet at a later date. Perhaps they used a larger grain of power more like Fg size powder?

Have you shot it over a crony yet?

I have tried on multiple occasions, but the smoke always screws up the reading.

On another note, I now have a sizing die courtesy of a gentleman on another forum. It gives a nice uniform size of .849". Another benefit of this die is I can now test some bullets another member sent me. A while back another forum member gave me some .853" 1330gr bullets he uses, but I wasn't willing to try them until I could size them down.

I'm going to test loads of 270gr and 265gr of Schutzen FFg under a ball to see if I can improve my ball cartridges. I will do the same with the 1200gr bullet at a later date. Perhaps they used a larger grain of power more like Fg size powder?

I have tried on multiple occasions, but the smoke always screws up the reading.

On another note, I now have a sizing die courtesy of a gentleman on another forum. It gives a nice uniform size of .849". Another benefit of this die is I can now test some bullets another member sent me. A while back another forum member gave me some .853" 1330gr bullets he uses, but I wasn't willing to try them until I could size them down.
I don't think it's a bigger size, from what I have read, it's about how refined the mix is and the outside polish of it. If you put a little of each out in the light side by side, you.can tell the difference. That's awesome that you have a bullet sizer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimber12N1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH