Filler option? Britbore mop

Hornedfrogbbq

Gold supporter
AH elite
Joined
Mar 8, 2022
Messages
1,103
Reaction score
1,623
Media
1
Riddle me why these wouldn't work great as filler? A 28ga shotgun bore diameter is 0.550 inches...probably work in a .450 shell and a 20ga is .615in...so almost 5/8in.

I am just toying with options right now but this would seem like almost a kynoch wad?

Britbore has small push thru mops made of wool. Britbore.com
 
Last edited:
Too expensive to use as a filler.

I use Circle Fly cushion wads for my 8-bore, they are available in a wide variety of sizes and are inexpensive.

 
Last edited:
Riddle me why these wouldn't work great as filler? A 28ga shotgun bore diameter is 0.550 inches...probably work in a .450 shell and a 20ga is .615in...so almost 5/8in.

I am just toying with options right now but this would seem like almost a kynoch wad?

Britbore has small push thru mops made of wool. Britbore.com

You would probably die, no hyperbole.

The wads we are using for largebore NE rifles are typically .5 grains to 2 grains in weight. A shotgun wad is fiber or cork, weighs a lot more, and doesn't instantly dissolve but actually holds back the ejecta to seal the barrel. I don't think it would be a good idea to do so with such a dense item in a double rifle that is literally operating at 10x the pressures.

The tiny amount of wad/fill/backer/dacron being used in large bore rifles has only one purpose: to ensure instant and even ignition of the powder in the cartridge.

Unrelated, the britbore product is a gun cleaning product that removes debris and oil from shotgun barrels. Competitors make smaller ones used for cleaning rifle barrels as well, but they are not what you want for the purposes you're intending.

Kynoch wads are extremly light foam. They are precisely weighed so you get consistent accuracy from shot to shot. Dacron cannot give you that same precision because its a loose product that compresses differently from round to round as the fibers are never perfectly distributed. Dacron is good, Kynoch wads are better and at lesser pressures.

Expert reloaders will build a little tool (e.g. a wood dowel) so you compress and install the wads exactly the same from shot to shot which improves ignition consistency for that last fraction of an inch of accuracy. Sloppy guys just use a pencil with the eraser side pressing the wad into the brass.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,456
Messages
1,576,693
Members
170,620
Latest member
AshleyRosa
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top