Exsanguination due to feral hog assault

These things are genuine monsters.

We went on a night time feral hog hunt in Georgia a few weeks ago where we saw them take hit after hit with rifles and still keep running. We didn't have one charge us but we attribute that to the night time nature of the hunt - they literally had no idea where we were. The load we were using was 7.62x39. The only way to stop them in their tracks was a spine or head shot neither of which was easy for us to do.

The good news is that we have a LOT of pork in the freezer. Like virtually all wild game we have had the meat was devoid of fat marbling. I'd recommend 8-10 hours in the crock pot on low for the hams for DELICIOUS pulled pork. The first tenderloin didn't come out too well for us; rather chewy but not what I would call tough either. The reason for the meat being on the tough side is that we baked the tenderloins to 170F to be totally safe from Brucellosis and Trichinosis. But next time it will be the crock pot for the tenderloins as well.

Last edited:
Wes,
Yes, Chlordane was a great tool back when it was legal. I was the only home owner in my development whose yard withstood an army worm invasion.

There is an agricultural powder ant poison that works on fire ant mounds and I have used it for years. I first discovered it at a feed store in Comanche after I arrived at deer camp and the camping corral was filled with fire ant mounds. It worked and I have used it ever since in my yard and horse pasture.
I now buy it at the local Feed and Hardware store in Farmersville. It smells like death itself, but our dogs and horses leave it alone. You can smell a dead bed for days. It was originally known by the primary chemical but now has a "socially acceptable name". I keep mine in my ag tool shed beyond the horse barn and if you want the name, I will get it for you tomorrow.
The problem is that if your city and rural neighbors do not use it, your dead ants are soon replaced by live ants from next door! :mad::(

I suspect he’s talking about Kaput that the Texas Dept of Ag approved, but the backlash from the public overrode that decision.

Sodium Nitrate has not been approved yet due to non-target deaths.

As long as landowners can turn a profit selling hog hunts the problem is going to continue. And yes I am a land owner and no I don’t sell hunts. I just want them all dead.

Now, these damn things are now in my neighborhood, of course no hunting in the city limits.

As to fire ants the only thing that works is chlordane.
I believe you hit the nail right on the head with some states/provinces/countries/landowners complaining about over populations of certain animals, but unwilling to reasonably accommodate non resident hunters financially who are willing to help reduce those numbers. Kansas, among other states, has an overpopulation of whitetail deer. $300.00 for a buck tag, THEN you can get a doe tag for $55.00? Iowa $300.00? These license fees now be even more. I’m quoting from 2005. Then, if you want to hunt on private land, your going to pay through the nose! Texas’s hog license costs are really reasonable, but some landowners want an exorbitant fee to hunt them? Wyoming got it right in the ‘90s with having too many pronghorn. $55.00 for doe licenses non residents and up to five tags, and a state/private land program to hunt them on! Just an observation about the “whining” about game over populations and the realities about hunters helping to reduce those populations?
“SHOW US THE GAME!”, at a REASONABLE cost!

Reactions: crs
Wes,
Yes, Chlordane was a great tool back when it was legal. I was the only home owner in my development whose yard withstood an army worm invasion.

There is an agricultural powder ant poison that works on fire ant mounds and I have used it for years. I first discovered it at a feed store in Comanche after I arrived at deer camp and the camping corral was filled with fire ant mounds. It worked and I have used it ever since in my yard and horse pasture.
I now buy it at the local Feed and Hardware store in Farmersville. It smells like death itself, but our dogs and horses leave it alone. You can smell a dead bed for days. It was originally known by the primary chemical but now has a "socially acceptable name". I keep mine in my ag tool shed beyond the horse barn and if you want the name, I will get it for you tomorrow.
The problem is that if your city and rural neighbors do not use it, your dead ants are soon replaced by live ants from next door! :mad::(
Fire ants? Gasoline and a match! Environmentally sound practice! No accidental poisoning of other critters!

CEH,
Yes, I have used gasoline, but stopped when the kids thought it fun and wanted in on the game. Besides, it can start a range fire during the dry season.
PS, it is more fun than poison. ;)

CEH,
About killing hogs, packs of dogs, coyotes, etc on a large property.

In addition to shooting them with auto loading weapons from a helicopter, Large landowners have access to very potent poisons for agriculture use on their property. Nuff said.

CEH,
Yes, I have used gasoline, but stopped when the kids thought it fun and wanted in on the game. Besides, it can start a range fire during the dry season.
PS, it is more fun than poison. ;)
Yep, kids can/will ruin ones pyrotechnical fun sometimes? Ha! Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross