Ever check out a Goodwill store? (I got lucky!)

Latest snag in the gun club clubhouse, free. Anyone read these? I haven't started yet.

View attachment 574677

Yip. Both very good reads, although after a recent article in a gun magazine there is speculation that Harry Manners was photographed with Wally Johnson’s ivory on the cover, and that he made uo some stories in the book. I read it before that came out, and enjoyed it though.

a good friend gave me a first edition JOHN M. BROWNING american gunmaker, that he bought for me at a high school library book sale. getting rid of unwanted books i guess, he,s not a gun person but thought i might like it. i said what do i owe you and he said .50 cents and laughed ( he wouldn,t take the half dollar). i think i,m going to enjoy reading it on a snowy afternoon.

Yip. Both very good reads, although after a recent article in a gun magazine there is speculation that Harry Manners was photographed with Wally Johnson’s ivory on the cover, and that he made uo some stories in the book. I read it before that came out, and enjoyed it though.
Well, they did hunt together

Great thread, some guys seam to be lucky, others got some deals that make me jealous.

First 2 safari got all my shirts and pants at Sally Ann. Wife laughed, spending $30K + on a safari and buying $4 pants, shirts. Must say, we did leave all behind except ones we wore home both trips, last few hunts now I have my safari sets.

Best Walmart steal, .01 for smelly jelly fishing scent, normally $10 per bottle. Asked the lady she says its a clear-out, I went back and got all they had. 20 bottles=.20c.

Tomorrow heading to the re-store, need a gallon of white paint, they usually have gallons of contractor for $10.

MB
ReStore ain't what it used to be for bargains--got all my double pane windows there for $40-65, and furnace filters, 2" pleated for 22 cents ea. tho

Yep. But you need to go to Goodwill-like stores that are not national brands like Goodwill Industries or Salvation Army. The reason? They have teams of people googling what the value of items are. When its high value, they put it on eBay or their own auction site and get big money for it. You need to hit the independents.

Things you can find that are deals: Filson, Barbour, Pendleton, Woolrich, etc.
I jump on shopgoodwill.com once in a while and filter by "sporting goods" and "hunting" in the extended search. Good deals can be found there too, but not as often as the Goodwill-like stores that you mention. I totally agree.

ReStore ain't what it used to be for bargains--got all my double pane windows there for $40-65, and furnace filters, 2" pleated for 22 cents ea. tho
True, need to be aware of what a deal is. Some things they sell are cheaper at Home Depot new.

MB

True, need to be aware of what a deal is. Some things they sell are cheaper at Home Depot new.

MB

Poor people and rural people don't have the same eyes as rich people and city people.

If I was looking for sporting goods, I'd go to the posh area stores. If I was looking for fine hunting clothes like Filson/Woolrich/Pendleton/Barbour I would head to the country.

Same goes for cabinetry and furniture. My wife wanted a $12,000 italian sofa so I looked for months on Facebook Marketplace near the big cities. They came and went, used for $4500-$6000. We checked every day and a rural area had one offered up "free" because it was worn out. $40 of Analine dye conditioner and I have a brand new $12,000 sofa. All because rural people don't have an eye for fine furniture, and city people don't know good tackle and sporting goods, generally speaking.

Play both regional stereotypes depending on what you're hunting for that day.

A hunting buddy found a Hobart meat grinder at the dump. It only needed a new on/off switch. He used it to turn my hog into ground pork last year. He makes the best venison sausage you ever tasted.

A hunting buddy found a Hobart meat grinder at the dump. It only needed a new on/off switch. He used it to turn my hog into ground pork last year. He makes the best venison sausage you ever tasted.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. My wife hates that a dumpster dive, but you can find crazy stuff at the curb. I picked up a $6000 brass sleigh bed in a front yard once, needed a few pieces covered free for life by manufacturer.

I believe @Wyatt Smith pulled his progressive reloading press from a dumpster in town?

I was dragged along by the wife to a yard sale.
They had 4 sets of binoculars, and were trying to convince me to buy the bigger 12x50s etc probably made by the 'Crapsen dishwasher and optics factory'. I paid $25 for a set of 8x30s that they said were no good........ they were mint condition Carl Zeiss.

I once bought five like new Duluth Pack back packs at an online auction. I believe I paid $365. The one I use in blaze orange for deer hunting currently sells for $350 at their store.

I gave a blaze one to my nephew, one to my son I kept an olive green one for myself. Another olive green one went to my old college roommate who is a big fan of camping in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota. There is a connection between the Boundary Waters and the original Duluth Pack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jörg Schmeisser

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?