Enfield vs. Mauser

If you were starting from scratch on a budget, the p14/17 is a longer action that doesn't need much to the longer magnum cartridges. P14 with a P17 bolt and mag box is pretty close.
Unless you get a magnum length 98 you will have to remove metal from the feed ramp etc to get them to fit.
If you are looking for them BSA and some others already sporterised them by removing the rear aperture battle sights, reprofiled the action for scope bases and also drilled the side for a Lyman type aperture sight.
That would be the budget method.
If it's a shorter magnum and you like the 98 then it's a no brainer.
And it wasn't a rumor, they copied enough of the mauser that they had to pay royalties or such to Mauser.

If you were starting from scratch on a budget, the p14/17 is a longer action that doesn't need much to the longer magnum cartridges. P14 with a P17 bolt and mag box is pretty close.
Unless you get a magnum length 98 you will have to remove metal from the feed ramp etc to get them to fit.
If you are looking for them BSA and some others already sporterised them by removing the rear aperture battle sights, reprofiled the action for scope bases and also drilled the side for a Lyman type aperture sight.
That would be the budget method.
If it's a shorter magnum and you like the 98 then it's a no brainer.
And it wasn't a rumor, they copied enough of the mauser that they had to pay royalties or such to Mauser.
When I built my first one, we used my buddy's mill to open the ejection port up and then modified the bottom of the action to take a .375 length magazine box. I think a .460 Weatherby or .500 Jeffrey is longer yet. I'll have to look in the manual...they are much fatter at least. The Granite Mountain looks like a Top Shelf piece but man that is a lot of money. The Enfield is super strong and makes a nice job. I spoke with the gent at Whitworth arms and he does most of the sporterization for you as well. From him, one that's had the ears removed, the "pond" filled on the rear receiver ring, the bolt straightened, and the feed rails modified to feed most .375 H&H diameter cartridges, with a McGowen barrel (not sure how good they are...I like Douglas) is $800. That would be a pretty good action to start with.

I should add that on my first one, we used oversized scope base screws and I've had no issues whatsoever after a couple hundred rounds through it. Though, it is "only" a .375 Weatherby but it hits almost as hard as a .378 with my long barrel (chrono'd two round so far at 2885 and 2889 ft/s with a 300gr). It kicks fairly hard, but I have the Coil Chek stock and it really does work at mitigating the recoil. The bigger version will most likely be open sights only.

Of course the other option is to start with a Weatherby Mk V action in .378 Weatherby and go from there. That will open the whole "push feed vs controlled feed" argument :)

The 500j is shorter than the 375. I have a few McGowen barrels from 30 years ago, they were fine back then. They were also about the only game in town.

Didn’t one of the top Brit gun companies use the Enfield 14/17 action for a while when there were no magnum Mausers left? ( H&H )
@Flewis
H&H used them to make bespoke 375H&Hs. You can buy 375H&H mah boxes to suit the Enfields off ebay for next to nothing. Take some metal out of the rear of the action and mag well, alter the bolt stop and done. If using a P14 the old 303 bolt face is the same as a magnum case. The M17 needs the bolt face open up. If you leave the guppy belly bottom metal you get an extra round in the mag. Not many know the M17 actually holds 6 30-06 rounds. Every one thinks it only hold 5 because that's how many in the stripper clip.
When the rear sight ears ar removed you are left with a hole that is filled in with a metal block and profiled. If you wanted more class you could profile the block the same as a single square bridge Mauser. I personally like the dog leg bolt but others prefer the graceful lines of a Rigby or Winchester Model 70 bolt handle.
Bob

I got my magazine box from Numrich. Mine is a P17, but they have both. I got the "Cock on Open" kit from them, as well as some back up parts in case I'd need them. Very reasonable prices. Their catalogue is about 3" thick.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 7.11.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 7.11.17 AM.png
    794.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 7.11.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 7.11.20 AM.png
    733.9 KB · Views: 39
I got my magazine box from Numrich. Mine is a P17, but they have both. I got the "Cock on Open" kit from them, as well as some back up parts in case I'd need them. Very reasonable prices. Their catalogue is about 3" thick.

@Jim Golden
Leave it cock on closing, a lot faster to operate as the cooking is shared on the up stroke and closing.
Bob

i'd go for the enfield. the argentine will be chambered in the oddball argentine round; hard to find, and expensive. .303 british ammo is much easier to get hold of. if you're a hand loader, doesn't really matter. yugo mausers are good but the actions are a tweener size in length and they tend to be a little rougher than other mauser makes. the 8x57 is an excellent round, and still pretty easy to get hold of; handloader's delight ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg