Elephant trophies

I think I already know the answer to this but I thought I would check. I just changed my tuskless hunt to a bull elephant hunt for next year. I decided I better get it done before you cant do it at all. Is there any part of the elephant that is legal to bring back as a trophy or are all elephant "trophy's" banned?

I think it is largely "it depends".

For the record, if we're talking about Zimbabwe a trophy elephant is lawful for export. The question is if you as an American can obtain a USFWS import authorization.

To do that requires the selection of a very specific operator and concession in Africa. The USFWS has a litany of things they want to see to justify the import. This includes an established track record in the area, antipoaching counts, local investment in the community, sources and uses of funds, support for the campfire, long term game counts, and evidence that the elephants were abundant AND that the death of the elephant was a net benefit to the survival of the species.

Caveat emptor. That world famous outfitter/operator that just bought quota from a shady non-hunting politically connected concession holder has none of these things to present. They are just rolling in, buying quota and getting the hell out. They'll just say "we sold you an exportable elephant, its your fault and your problem you can't import it into the USA".

Tokoloshe Safaris and Mapassa safaris are two operations that appear to have recent success on export based on the USFWS case-by-case criteria. I'm sure if you asked conservation force or better yet, emailed the named plaintiffs in the lawsuit that prevailed against USFWS recently, they would tell you where and who they hunted with. The where, the who, and with Conservation Force representing the import permit are the key ingredients to winning an import approval.

Failure to do your due diligence will result in you paying for a very expensive management hunt that was sold to you as an exportable trophy bull hunt.

Dumb question I guess - are finished goods imported differently? ie elephant rifle case being made and shipped common carrier?

Nope. Raw skins and ivory, finished goods, its all the same.
When the ban was put on in 2014 (it is no longer on), if you read the details it was not on curios or finished items such as gun cases. However import agents did not want to process such items because if you ran into a "cowboy" (my agents word) at Customs, they might confiscate and destroy your items as it would be very possible they did not read the law and overstep their authority.... welcome to American bureaucracy.

Trophy bull and tuskless are totally different hunts. Both are unbelievably great hunts. Whether or not you get to import the ivory pales in comparison to the experience. If given the option I’d like to have my ivory but not getting it would in no way influence my decision to go or not. I recommend getting a videographer and the hunt film along with replicas can be your trophy.

Your hunt/trophy fees for trophy elephant goes a long way in supporting the PHs and their anti poaching/management efforts. As a conservation hunter, this is far more important than importing ivory. So go hunt, have the time of your life and help preserve the majestic elephant.

I agree. If it is that big of a PIA then I won't even worry about importing anything. Some pictures and maybe a bracelet will do me just fine. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

I agree. If it is that big of a PIA then I won't even worry about importing anything. Some pictures and maybe a bracelet will do me just fine. Sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
Not really, but it adds costs. The import agent takes most of the headaches.

A bracelet is still an elephant product. If you plan on smuggling, don't write about your plan to smuggle. :)

You maybe missed the message in this thread. If you want an exportable and importable trophy elephant, then select an operator in which that is a reality. Otherwise, you're just paying someone trophy elephant prices (which really aren't much more than a cull price) for no good reason. If you hunt the right concession with the right operator with the right data, you get your elephant.

There is no cost correlation between getting your elephant and not getting your elephant. I can point you to many $80,000 elephant hunts right now that will not result in a USFWS import permit. I can also point you to $20,000 elephant hunts (or less) where people have received their permit approvals. Caveat emptor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double