Ear Muffs

Rburns28

AH member
Joined
Mar 19, 2024
Messages
38
Reaction score
33
Media
2
Looking to get a set of muffs for shooting, anybody got any recommends on a good pair. Thx Randy
 
Look for a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 30 dB or higher.
 
I use the Peltor Shotgunner muffs because they are tapered at the bottom and stay out of the way from the stock. Don't forget to double-up, and remember nothing works better than plain old disposable foam ear plugs.
 
I usually double up on ear pro at the range. First is a set of custom molded plugs (non-electronic). The second is a set of Sordin Pro X electronic muffs. Also a good idea to upgrade to the gel pads.

These are much better than the Walker’s found in Wal-Mart. These allow you to determine the direction of any sound when hunting. A great piece of kit for turkey and goose hunting. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them for other purposes, but I do plan on taking them to Africa.

IMG_3232.jpeg
 
Looking to get a set of muffs for shooting, anybody got any recommends on a good pair. Thx Randy
I have Walkers electronic from Midway USA. They have a great selection.
 
I think that Raven Rocks had a deal on the Sorbin’s at one time and perhaps I got mine from them.
 
I usually double up on ear pro at the range. First is a set of custom molded plugs (non-electronic). The second is a set of Sordin Pro X electronic muffs. Also a good idea to upgrade to the gel pads.

These are much better than the Walker’s found in Wal-Mart. These allow you to determine the direction of any sound when hunting. A great piece of kit for turkey and goose hunting. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them for other purposes, but I do plan on taking them to Africa.

View attachment 670936
These are the best. I have Walker's too and Harry Leights and custom ear plugs and enough muffs to equip a big group of family and friends. The Sordins are better than all of them.
 
I have the sordins with gel cups. They are great. As mentioned previously, if looking for maximum ear protection, combine with in ear plug. I use throw away foam as I think they work better than custom in ear.
 
I have the Howard Leight Impact Sports with gel cups. When shooting indoors, I add foam plugs.

I also have a pair of the Howard Leight Impact Pro which have a 30 NRR which I used for pistol shooting. I don't know if they still make the Impact Sport Bolt but they are digital and cut off the sound of the shot quicker.
 
+1 for the Sordin's with gel pads
 
Anything is better than nothing.
I agree with everything said so far plus there is a level of personal choice best fit etc.
I got some electronic muffs for Christmas but also happy to use passive noise reduction .
Probably pays to look toward the styles marketed toward shooters. Might sound like a no brainer but some of those will be shaped to allow better cheek welding without touching the stock.
In short somewhere around $100 is would get you a set of electronic earmuffs with an audio jack if you require it. I think electronic are mostly suited to range use where you are listening for range commands
 
I have used most of the major brands, all work well. I'm now using AXIL GS EXTREME electronic ear buds. I am very pleased with the quality, they work well. No muff bumping into the stock.
 
sordins and peltors are both great options if you're willing to spend the money on them..

I've also got a couple of fairly inexpensive walker razor slims that I grabbed when midway had them on sale for like $35 I think.. they've held up well, and honestly are more than enough for a typical range day with pistols...

I personally cant get comfortable with muff type ear protection when shooting rifles or shotguns.. so I rely on custom made, molded plugs that I picked up at a shotgun tournament a few years back for whenever Im shooting long guns..
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,571,740
Members
169,405
Latest member
presognsawrei1988
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top