Wiley64

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Just found out my brothers are pursuing dual citizenship USA and Italy, we qualify for the Italian side based on our lineage. Would this offer any advantages on travel, trophy exportation (assuming I ever own property in Italy).

I have Canadian and US citizenship. It has helped me tremendously over the years. As long as Italy is on the list that the US is ok with, I’d do it.

FYI, it is not dual citizenship, it is two citizenships. There used to be dual citizenships between the US and a number of other countries (I was a dual citizen at that time). That went away with the reforms in the ‘70’s.

Last edited:
I worked with a guy that was born in Trinidad. His parents were both British citizens and Trinidad had been a British colony. This guy went to college in Canada and married a girl from there and took up residence there. So this guy had 3 different passports, UK, Trinidad and Canada. He told me he always traveled on his Trini passport. When I asked him why, he said that hijackers and terrorist always take Brits hostage, followed by Canadians. He said you never hear about Trinidadians being taken hostage or killed by terrorists.

Just found out my brothers are pursuing dual citizenship USA and Italy, we qualify for the Italian side based on our lineage. Would this offer any advantages on travel, trophy exportation (assuming I ever own property in Italy).
Hmm, I would love to know more about this line inquiry… wheels are spinning in my head

I have Canadian and US citizenship. It has helped me tremendously over the years. As long as Italy is on the list that the US is ok with, I’d do it.

FYI, it is not dual citizenship, it is two citizenships. There used to be dual citizenships between the US and a number of other countries (I was a dual citizen at that time). That went away with the reforms in the ‘70’s.

Is there any downside to this? For instance, are you required to pay taxes and file a tax return for both places?

Assuming the question is related to African hunting:

Check visa requirements for each African country, for Italians and for Americans.
Compare.

Is there any downside to this? For instance, are you required to pay taxes and file a tax return for both places?

The US taxes you on worldwide income, Canada taxes you on Canadian income. If you live and earn in the US there is not impact.
If you live and earn in Canada the paperwork is complex but the tax treaty pretty much creates a wash financially.

Dual citizenship is recognized by the US under limited circumstances. If you are a citizen of another country & the US at the moment of your birth the US recognizes it.

If you are a dual citizen, once you are no longer a minor if you do not renounce your non-US citizenship there will be limitations primarily having to do with government employment, obtaining a security clearance, obtaining a private sector job that is wholly or partially supported by government funds. Note that joining the military is still possible, though your available jobs will be limited, and you are still subject to the any draft.

Dual citizenship is recognized by the US under limited circumstances. If you are a citizen of another country & the US at the moment of your birth the US recognizes it.

If you are a dual citizen, once you are no longer a minor if you do not renounce your non-US citizenship there will be limitations primarily having to do with government employment, obtaining a security clearance, obtaining a private sector job that is wholly or partially supported by government funds. Note that joining the military is still possible, though your available jobs will be limited, and you are still subject to the any draft.

Nuance of terminology is all. Dual citizenship was a status that existed until the ‘70’s in the US. Now it is simply two citizenships, that the US allows with certain countries. Functionally there is no real difference.

Your other point on security clearances is not correct, at least for US citizens carrying Canadian citizenship. I held a very high security clearance due to the role I was in during the aftermath of 911. My Canadian citizenship was not an issue at all.

Nuance of terminology is all. Dual citizenship was a status that existed until the ‘70’s in the US. Now it is simply two citizenships, that the US allows with certain countries. Functionally there is no real difference.

Your other point on security clearances is not correct, at least for US citizens carrying Canadian citizenship. I held a very high security clearance due to the role I was in during the aftermath of 911. My Canadian citizenship was not an issue at all.
I was doing my best to keep it brief. Also the term "Dual Citizen", though widely used, never actually appears in US law.

Yes, I've worked with non-US citizens on secure joint projects and/or facilities. There are agreements put in place delinentrating access. It always involves some level of sharing clearance information but proper security requires minimizing data dissemination. There are always greater limitations placed on access between different countries.

Hmm, I would love to know more about this line inquiry… wheels are spinning in my head
Mine too! My maternal grandfather was born in the states, but his father was from Sicily. Based on when my great grandfather was naturalized, I’ve been told we are eligible for Italian citizenship. This would give us European passports, and easy travel in the eu. I immediately begin to wonder what doors this might open with African hunting as I could see myself one day spending a large amount of time across the pond.

Dual citizenship here. I didn't renounce a damn thing and I served on active duty for 21 years. Had security clearances too. Never an issue for me in any way.

I was doing my best to keep it brief. Also the term "Dual Citizen", though widely used, never actually appears in US law.

Yes, I've worked with non-US citizens on secure joint projects and/or facilities. There are agreements put in place delinentrating access. It always involves some level of sharing clearance information but proper security requires minimizing data dissemination. There are always greater limitations placed on access between different countries.

Different status, I am a US citizen and I was included in the security briefings will all other AK Command members. My Canadian citizenship was not an issue.

The US taxes you on worldwide income, Canada taxes you on Canadian income. If you live and earn in the US there is not impact.
If you live and earn in Canada the paperwork is complex but the tax treaty pretty much creates a wash financially.
Ahh...
Individuals resident in Canada are subject to Canadian income tax on worldwide income. Relief from double taxation is provided through Canada's international tax treaties, as well as via foreign tax credits and deductions for foreign taxes paid on income derived from non-Canadian sources.
The paperwork is lots of fun.

Ahh...
Individuals resident in Canada are subject to Canadian income tax on worldwide income. Relief from double taxation is provided through Canada's international tax treaties, as well as via foreign tax credits and deductions for foreign taxes paid on income derived from non-Canadian sources.
The paperwork is lots of fun.

Yep, my company hired one of the big 5 to manage it for me!

What I see here in Australia are immigrants who sign up for Aussie citizenship, but retain their home status; often to get the local benefits while paying FIRST allegiance to their birth country. Nationals form specific countries are mainland Chinese, middle easterners, sub-continentals. Conduct of those from the middle east/islamic countries are, I suspect strong supporters of Hamas/Palestine. With two English/British grandparents I believe I can get some benefits; just prefer being a Dinki-Di Aussie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abel87507

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.