Drilling back up question

I have used a "poormans double" 12/12 sxs Brno sidelock with barrels shortened to 24" and a ghost ring rear sight fitted very succesfully using only Brenneke original slugs.

I have also used a 12ga/9.3x74R for the same purpose, this one has 28" barrels and although it has a small flip up rear sight I just shoot over the barrels and use the front sight.

A drilling you will have 3 barrels but still only 2 shots. You will have to re cock and select the 3rd barrel before you can fire it.
Confusion under pressure could lead to issues.
Select the barrels you want to use before the time and use those two.

Also practice firing with only one hand....yes wounded leopard attacks are frighteningly fast and instinct will have you raising your non shooting arm to protect yourself....so in essense practice "feeding" it your non shooting arm and shooting it with one hand your shooting hand.

Drillings for traditional use will have 24 to 28 inch barrels, for general hunting use the longer barrels are better for this type of work the shirter barrels are obviously better

Drillings and combination guns are facinating weapons.....

Back in 1989 when did first ever hunt in Tanzania I brought along a 12 bore sxs ...it was in the little gunshop where am from...it seemingly was from what I understood used as a boar gun in Europe...it had 23 inch barrels and iron sights...I was told buckshot in one barrel and a slug in the other was how it was supposed to be used...me I just loved it because it was short and looked neat...from memory it was an Italian make....one of those I wish I had not sold....would have been interesting to play with now I can get my hands on slugs... @IvW it would have been your ideal toy :E Big Grin:
 
  • Like
Reactions: IvW
A drilling ain’t bird nor fish , it will work but it will be more seldom than a combo gun in use in either Africa or India .

I know of a .500 Bpe and 12 Ga combo in use in Asia , but one can see more been used around since combos were cheaper to some degree and versatile . Then as now .

 
As I have already mentioned, a drilling is primarily a double shotgun, and that is how it was used in the past. The bullet was only there to allow shooting larger game, if necessary. Nowadays, the drilling is used differently in our countries.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,328
Messages
1,573,020
Members
169,686
Latest member
NellieHugh
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top