Double Gunsmiths

freefall

AH senior member
Reaction score
Is Ken Owen still in business? I look for contact info and don't find it, which suggests to me he's not looking for work.
I'm looking to get my .45-70 Pedersoli Kodiak chambered to .450 NE, and regulated, and would like suggestions on who to talk to about this.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)

Sarg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Ken Owen did a lot of work for Kirby Hoyt of Vintage Doubles, I think if you contact Kirby he could advise .

509-665-7675
kirby@vintagedoubles.com

Aaron Little is a amazing Gunsmith & does great work on Doubles, I would of got him to put my 8 bore rifle together but just too hard to move rifles & parts around in this day & age

Can't find full details for Aaron but he is A M Little Besoke Gunmakers LLC may have to contact on Face Book as is common now days as much as I don't like it myself ?

Also it is not too easy to rechamber a 45/70 to 450NE as the 45/70 has a massive & thick rim, the .450NE has a very thin rim, so if not 45/90 - 45/120 & must have a Nitro cartridge the .450 No2 NE seems to be the round, great cartridge even lower pressure, just cost more to feed .

Not some thing to do either now days but if that's what you want ?

Last edited:

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
The few American qualified double rifle smiths/makers that I know would not likely even look at this project and so I have ceased recommending them. They are also usually backed up for a year or so.
+1 on Aaron .

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
Ken Owen was still working as of 2019. His phone number at that time was 901-877-6853.

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
Is Ken Owen still in business? I look for contact info and don't find it, which suggests to me he's not looking for work.
I'm looking to get my .45-70 Pedersoli Kodiak chambered to .450 NE, and regulated, and would like suggestions on who to talk to about this.
I've been considering the same for mine. From my reading, the 450#2 NE is the option. It is lower pressure than the 450 NE 3 1/4. There are quite a few threads on other forums about it. I have not gotten to the point of finding a 'smith to do it yet. There's a guy in Loveland, CO who has been converting shotguns to doubles for years; but I haven't called to see if he can/would do this rechambering on a Kodiak.
Pedersoli is now offering the Kodiak in 450 NE, but they changed something as I understand it. Just haven't been able to get a straight answer as to what. Price quoted me, $9600 all in.

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
RSA
WC,
Since you live in Colorado, you might contact this gunmaker who actually wrote the book on building DRs on shot gun actions. He is W. Ellis Brown in Ft Collins, Co. http://www.ellisbrowncustomshop.com/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 1.19.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 1.19.39 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 8

freefall

AH senior member
Reaction score
The point of this exercise is that I would like to be able to shoot a buffalo with this rifle. But it sounds like the HSM bear loads (430grn hard cast @ 1800 fps) I use in my Marlin don't make the energy, and even if they did would be over pressure for this rifle.
This the search for a larger case to lower pressures. What about one of the larger Sharps cartridges, .45-90 or .45-120?

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
WC,
Since you live in Colorado, you might contact this gunmaker who actually wrote the book on building DRs on shot gun actions. He is W. Ellis Brown in Ft Collins, Co. http://www.ellisbrowncustomshop.com/
That is the gent l was referring to, thanks. Just haven't gotten around to calling him yet. Not sure he would do it or not, but that's what email is for. I have a copy of his book around here somewhere.

One Day...

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Website
www.huntershillsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Europe, America, Canada, Africa
The only person I trust with double gun work these days is JJ Perodeau - superb.
+ an enthusiastic 1

Hmmm...

Gift of truth, if you are willing to accept it. Beware of low-cost Italian rifles, especially those specialized in reproducing low-pressure historic rounds. The steel involved is generally not appropriate for higher pressure applications... You would not be the first one to learn this the hard (and expensive) way...

If memory serves (?), the .45/70 operates at 28,000 PSI, cordite loads for the .450 3 1/4" operated at 34,000 PSI, and modern loads for the .450 3 1/4" can generate as much as 44,000 PSI.

You may want to think hard whether spending hard earned dollars on a double that will last 100 rounds, or one that will last 100 years...

As to .450 #2, I used to have one. Great cartridge. Darn near impossible to find ammo or brass though...

Last edited:

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Hunted
RSA
.45-90? Why did you not ask?
52608_600x400.jpg

My 1886 .45-90 has taken, ele, buff, leopard, etc in Africa and buffalo and deer, etc here in the US.
It can definitely do the job, driving solids at 2100 fps. through ele heads and into the body. All broadside shots on buff Shot through.

Maybe you can have Ellis extend the chambers of your .45-70 DR to handle the .45-90.

Last edited by a moderator:

freefall

AH senior member
Reaction score
What sort of pressures do your .45-90 loads generate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LashayL279

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?