Does removing all oil in a barrel reduce first shot variations?

Sometimes the mystery of why the first shot went where it did isn't the barrel's bore, it's the chamber. If it's wet with oil or some type of cleaner, shots can have a different velocity and POI.

Why use smokeless powder if you have to clean your bores after each use :A Play Ball:

I will use an oiled brush and patch at the end of the hunting season if it rained or went through extreme temperature chances. If I hunted nice days and temps were 40 for low and 60 for high, I'm not touching the bore.

Regarding a copper deep clean, I only do that every 200-300 shots; which for me could take a decade.

I have two friends that are on both extremes, one never cleans his guns and the other cleans after every shooting spree and buys Hoppes by the gallon. I clean mine once after the season closes. On mine, I use solvent until clean, and then use copper remover, letting sit over night, rag out and a very light oil afterwards. Before season, clean rag and a couple passes of solvent and it’s hunting time.

I run multiple dry patches through the bore (also the chamber) after a clean/oil process. I would never shoot a barrel left chemically dry, btw.

I often don't see any meaningful difference in POI between cold/clean Vs cold/dirty. But you never know - so like most, I'm more comfortable with a slightly dirty barrel when the first shot matters.

Life is too short to clean after every range session.
Plus it isn't needed and is probably bad for barrel life.
I keep a log of my shots and generally clean somewhere between 100 and 200 shots, depending on the rifle or other variables such as ammo.

Bore snakes are for emergencies only (IMO) - or at the least for very limited use. The serious long range precision shooters I know, tell me bore snakes will scratch the bore (proven by using a bore scope). I keep a few handy, but they will usually be one size below the rifle's caliber. 7mm for 30 cal, 243 for 6.5mm, as examples.

Bore snakes are for emergencies only (IMO) - or at the least for very limited use. The serious long range precision shooters I know, tell me bore snakes will scratch the bore (proven by using a bore scope). I keep a few handy, but they will usually be one size below the rifle's caliber. 7mm for 30 cal, 243 for 6.5mm, as examples.

Shoe strings are cheaper

I agree a size below is the way to go unless you want it super stuck

Modern powders need much less barrel cleaning. Even rifles that are overbore, I don't clean every session. If I am going on a hunt, I will have at least 10-20 rounds down the barrel, sometimes many more.

I have ARs that go many around 1000 rounds without a barrel cleaning. They are still shooting just fine on the last day of a class, no real difference than the first day. Used a 6.5cm in my PRS setup for a class last fall, I had at least 300 rounds down before it made it back to the cleaning bench, it was still shooting extremely well when the class was over.

Everybody except Mark-Hunter is answering questions that weren't asked.

So, continuing in that vein, I think clean bore shots are most often caused by something other than bore preparation. Whether it is an uncleaned bore or a bore partially cleaned and then with the oil or powder solvent cleaned out with a patch or patches or a copper-solvent cleaned barrel. I suspect, but don't know, that spraying some non-gun related solvent like Oops, or Gum Out, or carburetor cleaner, or brake cleaner won't make a difference either. I guess I might try one of those but you have to be careful as they can remove the finish of things you don't want the finish to be removed on, like scopes or stocks.

The reason I don't think these are relevant is because I've had rifles that wouldn't move between sessions and ones that would -- most would -- all with the same routine.

Most of you are confusing cold bore shots with clean bore shots. I suspect that what is causing the first shot to be different is the cold bore shot. I've never found an answer to why that happens.

Tanks, we're talking about differences in POI that are too small (usually) to matter on game shots but are easily noticed at the range.

I don't find clean/dirty first shots to be too interesting a subject since you can solve that problem by not cleaning your barrel.

The cold bore shot is a well-known and much discussed phenomenon. Do some google searches and read all the threads on the various forums and you'll see.

BTW, some people even put it down to being a mental thing or due to differences in holding the rifle for the first shot, but I've never found that convincing. When I'm holding a steady sight picture there is no way that I can be hitting 2 or 3 inches away from following shots due to any factors like these.

If that was the case then I would have not made a single hit on my recent hunt as the bore was cold on every shot.
I know for a fact that as a bore warms up POI changes. It happens with my 7RM and to a lesser degree my 6.5CR. My 7 moves up to 4 inches and the 6.5 about 2In. Not so much my 375 because of the heavy bbl., maybe an inch or so. This is at 100yds with all my guns after 3 or 4 rounds. Nothing to worry about when hunting because all shots are cold bore.

Tanks, we're talking about differences in POI that are too small (usually) to matter on game shots but are easily noticed at the range.

I don't find clean/dirty first shots to be too interesting a subject since you can solve that problem by not cleaning your barrel.
Wasn't the OP about clean vs dirty barrel though?

Yes, but I guess my point is that if you don't clean your bore you don't have to worry about that. What you still have to worry about is the cold bore shot phenomenon, which I've never read a good answer for. I think it has to do with stock to barrel fit. Some rifles just won't have much distance between the first shot and the subsequent ones and some will.

Everybody except Mark-Hunter is answering questions that weren't asked.

So, continuing in that vein, I think clean bore shots are most often caused by something other than bore preparation. Whether it is an uncleaned bore or a bore partially cleaned and then with the oil or powder solvent cleaned out with a patch or patches or a copper-solvent cleaned barrel. I suspect, but don't know, that spraying some non-gun related solvent like Oops, or Gum Out, or carburetor cleaner, or brake cleaner won't make a difference either. I guess I might try one of those but you have to be careful as they can remove the finish of things you don't want the finish to be removed on, like scopes or stocks.

The reason I don't think these are relevant is because I've had rifles that wouldn't move between sessions and ones that would -- most would -- all with the same routine.

Most of you are confusing cold bore shots with clean bore shots. I suspect that what is causing the first shot to be different is the cold bore shot. I've never found an answer to why that happens.
So very true. I hadn't even realized that. We all just skipped the question and hijacked the thread to dirty vs. clean bore and the cold...barrel...shot.

To be sure I'm not sure that the degreasing of the barrel is going to eliminate the first round flier. I feel like it is tied more toward fouling or barrel heating.
@postoak

Thank for comment in post no 29. At least somebody is noticing! ;)
Good job. Keeping us all honest-ish... :A Outta:

So I was thinking, if you use something like electrical switch cleaner spray to get all the oil out of the bore before going hunting, does it reduce the first shot flyer ?
@Nhoro
If you have sighted your rifle properly once you have wiped the oil out the first shot should always be on the money. All my rifles are sighted so the first shot is spot on from a cold clean or dirty barrel.
Bob

Not in my experience. In some barrels just one fouling shot is all thats needed and in some it takes 2 or 3. I have a 7x57 (one of my favorites) that seems to shoot much better after a few fouling shots. I never take that one hunting with a clean barrel.
@Joker12
20201102_184703.jpg

Three shots cold clean barrel after wiping the oil out. 100 yard group.
20200314_102751.jpg

3 shots 200 yards with same projectiles as first target after firing at target 1.
20191226_111037.jpg

Target 3 with Hornady projectiles after firing the other 2 groups with nosler combined technology silver tips. 200 yard group.
Most people recommend cleaning when you change brands of projectiles but I never have and it hasn't caused any problems so far as the groups show..
I don't know if it's just plain good luck or something else but it works for me.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
In my rifles if Hoppes No.9 doesn’t take it out, it stays in.
@Nhoro I guess you could zero your rifle with a clean bore one shot at a time, cleaning in between.
@Wyatt Smith
Mate we have been in covid lockdown so long I've taken to using hoppes Nov as after shave to remind me what a rifle smells like.
Tried Sweets 7.62 but the ammonia content burnt my skin to much.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittanyPa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]