Disgusting "hunting" method for Tahr

Some want the trophy but are not ready to make the effort.

Really disgusting, and should no be allowed.

That is not hunting!

This is an all too common method of "collecting" a trophy Tahr in New Zealand, most commonly by visiting sportsmen aiming to round-out a New Zealand collection of Trophies.
Wealth does not buy you integrity, but it does get you up to the tops quickly !

I think it displays a complete contempt of the rules of fair chase, is disrespectful to the animal involved and is a blot on our sport.

In the past (when I was MUCH younger) I spent many, many days doing it tough busting my hump glassing and climbing to get my Tahr Trophies and cannot imagine the disgust if I had just spent two or three hours getting up "amongst" them to have a chopper buzz past and commence herding them away.

This is not hunting !

Unfortunately, when there is money involved, unfit, out of shape clients on a limited time frame will frequently resort to such tactics to gain their trophy and there is always an outfitter out there happy to take the money and cater to the clients wishes.

I don't care if the guy rides an elevator to the top and then walks.
The helicopter is not the issue for me. It's the way it is being used.

Chasing the game to the hunters with a chopper is not hunting.

Despicable and as far as I know illegal.

Interesting to see this posted today of all days. I am currently in New Zealand. In fact I shot a Tahr today. After I killed my Tahr a chopper flew over and scared the crap out of a bunch of Tahr on that mtn. New Zealand is in the midst of controversy concerning hunting w/ helicopters. Laws will likely change in the next few yrs. NZ has a long history of market gunners killing game from choppers. It was either that or poison them all. That has also been done here.
I agree that this is NOT how a sportsman hunts. It is merely killing or collecting. Almost all ethical hunters would agree.
I'll post some photos of my hunt and a report In a couple of weeks. Got a great red stag 2 days ago. Today was one of my most satisfying days hunting ever. On private land where the Tahr have not been bothered much. Had a 4 1/2. Yr old bull at less than 12 yards. I actually hit him with a rock! Spent 3 1/2 hrs pinned down by 2 to 8 tahr at 75 yards and less. Had 21 watching us dress and cape my bull. More later. Bruce

Bruce, congrats on the results of your successful hunt.

like you say bruce , culling from a copter has been going on in n.z for a long time , much better than 1080 .( which n.z , is Americas biggest buyer of this dreadfull stuff)
but the way that pathetic excuse of a trophy trophy hunter and his outfitter have done it is ,piss weak to say the least .

sounds like your trip to the island of the long white cloud is bearing fruit ,mate ..
congratulations on your thar and red stag .
enjoy the rest of your stay

Well years ago, the same thing was going on in Russia too for snow sheep.

A lot of this is happening in the South Island of New Zealand, Tahr and Chamois hunting is one of the toughest and rewarding hunts in the world. Unfortunately this action is putting people off coming down, please don't lump us all into the same group. We hunt hard hard on private land and all on foot, and take magnificent animals combined with a truly unforgettable experience which is being forgotten in this industry...

Thanks Paul. Checked with my guide and herding animals with a helicopter is illegal. According to him there is basically no enforcement. No teeth so to speak in the law. His question to me was how long ago was this video taken? Could of been while still legal. Still not ethical in any way in my opinion.
Some use helicopter to take them to the top of the mtn and then hunt downhill. There are those who don't like that. Some use a helicopter to take them and camp in for a weeks hunt. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg