Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
As some of you read I recently got a lightly used VC Azur 500 NE. All has been going perfect with it for upcoming trip in 6 weeks. I have limited days to get in range session so took the opportunity to do one this morning.

Fired a right then left barrel about 4 min apart. Both spot on at 50 yards. Fired another set right and left with about same time span. Still spot on, right where needs to be.

Waited about 20 min talking to some other guys and went fire another set.
Left is spot on right 7 inches high as 5 left. Maybe it was me so try another set. Left is close but not perfect. Right no where close. Way high and right

Started inspecting red dot then gun.
Find crack in solder. Right barrel is coming loose.

I know there is no way to have repaired and regulated in time. So when I get back from this trip it will be off to JJ in Oklahoma.

Broke out the CZ 458 Lott now for this trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats about all you can do... carry on.

You are correct! Not letting it get me down and thats why you have a safe full of rifles. Always have backups and backups for the backup!! And plenty of ammo on hand d for all them!

Ohhhh shoot! :( :(

Yes, carry on like it never happened. Just as before any hunt, begin checking and double checking the Lott as if it were the one for this trip from the beginning. Ammo, scope mounts and scope if it is so mounted, ammo boxes for travel, gun case for travel, paperwork, final sight-in, etc. Put the double in the safe, don't touch it or even think of it UNTIL you get back.

The only good thing to say is that it’s better to happen at home, than while you were on safari.
At least you have the 458.

Yes for sure. Way better now than over there or just days before departure. Now to go get new 4457

Ohhhh shoot! :( :(

Yes, carry on like it never happened. Just as before any hunt, begin checking and double checking the Lott as if it were the one for this trip from the beginning. Ammo, scope mounts and scope if it is so mounted, ammo boxes for travel, gun case for travel, paperwork, final sight-in, etc. Put the double in the safe, don't touch it or even think of it UNTIL you get back.

The Lott was originally going. Until I got the VC. Lott is good to go! Checked it out at range also today. It is an AHR #2 upgrade. It shoots great. Now for 4457 and get things together

Does this change your opinion of VC as a company or do you consider the problem an "error carried forward" from the previous owner?

Mark that bites!! However, as mentioned above, glad you discovered the problem at the range today rather than while a buff is charging at you during your upcoming hunt!!

Regards,

Good thing it happened at the range and not on the second day of your hunt!

Have a great hunt, and let us know what VC has to say about repairing it.

Even though I have plenty of big bore bolt rifles, I wish to take a double, a Heym .500 NE, to Zimbabwe in 3.5 months. I also thought I'd better have a back up double. So, I sent my VC .450 NE barrels to J.J last week for him to put his low profile mount for Trijicon RMR on it. I will get its 4457 when the barrels arrive in a few weeks. I will sight in the Trijicon when it arrives and it will be ready to go.

That way if something happens I will have the .450 NE to fall back on before I have to go back to a bolt rifle.

Does this change your opinion of VC as a company or do you consider the problem an "error carried forward" from the previous owner?

Doesn’t change opinion of VC. Things just happen. Previous owner had put about 60 rounds down it. I am at 90 rounds down it. I look at it like it happened. I will probably not even contact VC. As I was planning to send to JJ anyways to have it checked over and regulated for a different load than Norma anyway. Norma is just to expensive and hard to find. Planning on having it done now sooner than later. Ele in 2023 I guess for it now!

Doesn’t change opinion of VC. Things just happen. Previous owner had put about 60 rounds down it. I am at 90 rounds down it. I look at it like it happened. I will probably not even contact VC. As I was planning to send to JJ anyways to have it checked over and regulated for a different load than Norma anyway. Norma is just to expensive and hard to find. Planning on having it done now sooner than later. Ele in 2023 I guess for it now!
I bet VC would like to hear about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg