Delta Update

Something is not making sense to me- a flight will go from ATL to Joburg. And that plane continues on to Capetown.

So if I fly from ATL to Joburg- get off plane for a 10-day hunt, then how do I get back to ATL? Common sense tells me I would buy a return flight ticket from Joburg to Capetown (fuel and take on passengers) and then the plane returns to ATL.

What am I missing on the equation?

Something is not making sense to me- a flight will go from ATL to Joburg. And that plane continues on to Capetown.

So if I fly from ATL to Joburg- get off plane for a 10-day hunt, then how do I get back to ATL? Common sense tells me I would buy a return flight ticket from Joburg to Capetown (fuel and take on passengers) and then the plane returns to ATL.

What am I missing on the equation?

Refer to post #41 in this thread.

There's something about the ATL-JNB-CPT-ATL story that doesn't make sense to me. I am not a pilot, but my dad was and I've flown enough international flights to learn a thing or two. Perhaps someone that is a pilot or in the know on these things can chime in.

I believe the CPT leg has more to do with competing with United's Newark to CPT seasonal flight.

I understand Delta's stated reason for going to Cape Town, as it is at sea level and Joberg is 5500 ft. Planes can take off heavier at sea level than at 5500 ft, so more fuel on board for the long flight back to ATL. However, takeoffs are also a function of runway length and temperature. JNB has a 14,495 ft while CPT has 10,502 ft. There is a news report that CPT is adding a 1000 ft to this runway, but not sure when. Some reports say by 2023.

The A350-900 has a runway requirement at max takeoff weight of about 8500 ft. However, there is a rule in the aviation industry that the takeoff length requirement can't be more than 60-70% of the available runway. This is in case a takeoff is aborted, there needs to be enough runway left to hit the brakes and thrust reverse. I am not sure if the 8500 ft take off requirement includes the safety requirement or that has to be added on, thus requiring something like 12,000 ft runways.

Either the plane departing CPT isn't going to be full or there will be a refueling stop somewhere along the way.

It has to do both with the altitudes and the prevailing winds. From the USA to RSA, there is a tailwind, whereas on the return flight it becomes a headwind.

Looks like Delta flights for next year are going to be really expensive!

Looks like Delta ATL-JNB is really expensive and may not be daily. Maybe a computer glitch? Some dates they want to route you through AMS.

Looks like Delta ATL-JNB is really expensive and may not be daily. Maybe a computer glitch? Some dates they want to route you through AMS.

Ok, so I just looked and it shows it as available when i look at going from Billings to JNB. It has changed to flight 204, but it shows the same flight number for the return trip. I thought I saw somewhere that is was going to be 204 and 205 for the return but that could be just bad memory.

Now, that is not saying i could book it, it just showed it available when I looked from Billings to JNB, which is the route i hope to use in April of next year

I just checked ITA Matrix and it shows Sunday, Wednesday and Friday for January (ATL to JNB) and no flights yet for February. $1371 one way coach, $5590 business one way.

We went ahead and rebooked our flights last week for a June 11 to July 2 2021 trip. The price was the same as what our flights were that we had booked last year at $3200 round trip from SLC on premium select. I just looked to see the costs today and it shows $3700 for the same flight. On a side note, We had thought about going to cape Town and just getting onto the return flight from there but that raised the price to $3700 last week. Pretty lame they'd raise the price like that for a seat that they couldn't even fill anyway since they can't operate domestically.

What a mess! My Emirates flight to JO for this September was of course canceled, and the route different from any previous trip but it was much less expensive than this nonsense and was broken up differently and the longest stretch was under 15 hours from SEA to DUBAI. Then just over 8 hours to JO from there.

DL 204 so far is not showing to be daily. Hopefully it will revert to daily soon at least for next summer dates. I’m looking at late July.

If any are living near a major airport, you know there's almost nothing flying. Talking to my buds who fly for the majors, they are sweating the next round of layoffs said to be coming soon.

Delta pilot layoff news.

What is the smart way to approach booking your Delta 204 reservations for July 2021?

Lock in early (like right now) to be sure you have a seat in your preferred class (and a known cost), or sit on things for the time being?

My mid July leave date is currently showing on Delta's online schedule and the return flight should be showing up by next week.

What is the smart way to approach booking your Delta 204 reservations for July 2021?

Lock in early (like right now) to be sure you have a seat in your preferred class (and a known cost), or sit on things for the time being?

My mid July leave date is currently showing on Delta's online schedule and the return flight should be showing up by next week.

I would make sure I had travel insurance to cover if things go south.

Delta pilot layoff news.
Yep, a bud’s son is a pilot for Delta. He told me his son has lost all his seniority, but still has a job. He said lots of the pilots even in their 50s took the money and ran. Most have second businesses they will get more involved in.
It’s a strange new world we live in!

I’m in the same boat. We are buying Delta as soon as it opens then Airlink early next year. I’m using TWG travel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg