Delta Update

Spoke with a friend of mine who is a retired triple seven pilot. Asked him about this and he told me it's not so much DA being a lmiting factor but more about what's called accelerated stop distance. a number that is calculated and determined by the aircraft manufacturer.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/25.109

Accelerated stop distance sounds like it ultimately relates to how much runway is available. I understand about density altitude, but elevation is still the dominate factor and temp and humidity only modify the elevation from standard conditions. Plenty of runway at JNB, regardless of the DA.

BTW, I flew the Houston Express for almost 6 years, working 28/28 day rotation in Angola. We'd leave IAH at noon time for the 13-14 hr flight to Luanda and usually take about 8000 ft of the 12,000 ft available at IAH. One time the long runways weren't available, so we couldn't leave with a full fuel load. So we flew to Atlanta, home base to our charter carrier, the now defunct World Airways and fueled up there and continued on.

@375 Ruger Fan Explained to me simplified was enough runway remaining to stop if an engine went TU at V1. Agree?

Basically agree, but I think it's if an event happens prior to V1, not at V1. A subtle difference. If V1 is achieved, the takeoff is continued.

The Go/ No Go decision must be made before reaching V1. A “No Go” decision after passing V1 will not leave sufficient runway remaining to stop if the takeoff weight is equal to the Field Length Limit Weight.

So why would Qatar or Emirates be a better option than Delta? Cheaper , better service? Just wondering as I am uninformed but if I go to SA again I would like any tips like this.

So why would Qatar or Emirates be a better option than Delta? Cheaper , better service? Just wondering as I am uninformed but if I go to SA again I would like any tips like this.

Lots of threads on this and just mainly personal opinions based on what someone is looking for or what is a priority. Browse Qatar and Emirates in the search and you will find pages of answers. It can be cost, level of service, business class perks, too old to want to fly one long leg, etc.

You guys would prefer to add 15 hours to your total flight time than fly Delta?! You are still making a stop, either way. I'll take Delta!

You guys would prefer to add 15 hours to your total flight time than fly Delta?! You are still making a stop, either way. I'll take Delta!

Not sure how your route compares but for me with QATAR, Philly to Doha, Doha to Joburg is 20 hours flying time, 25 hours total transit time. Same on Delta, PHL, ATL, JNB is 19 hours flying time, 23 hours or more depending on departure time from Philly. It could actually take more total time with Delta.

Delta just canceled my July 23 flight to joberg. All August and September flights still scheduled

The gotcha is whether or not RSA will be open by then.

I too will stick with Delta for shorter flight time. I fly out of Houston. Delta with 4 hour layover in Atlanta to Johannesburg is roughly 21 1/2 hours total time. Qatar with 3 1/2 hour lay over in Doha to Johannesburg is 26 1/2 hours. Also I prefer not to lay over in another country. Thats just me. Everyone has to make their own decisions.

Delta just canceled my July 23 flight to joberg. All August and September flights still scheduled

Tgood1,
How did you receive the cancellation notice (direct from Delta, or from travel agent)?

We have July 18 Delta 200 flights and have not received any notices.

Welp. Our July Delta flights to Joberg are also cancelled.

Sorry I've been covered up at work and farm.. I was checking the flight status weekly from delta site but it looks like you found out the bad news.

I believe from the article Delta retires the B777’s the A350 does not have the range to make the return flight back to Atlanta from JNB because of headwinds.

Like when Qantas flew the B747 from DFW, the going flight went to Brisbane and the return was from Sydney. Now with the A380 it’s round trip to Sydney.

I have no idea why Delta wants an all Airbus fleet.
I flew both on the Quantas 747 to Brisbane and the A380 to Sydney. It was a great experience on that A380 and such a shame they are stopping production.
Philip

We will all likely be checking all options for flights going forward. When I get ready to book for next year I will call Patrick at Travel With Guns and discuss all the options. Total travel time and price (eco and business) will be the factors of course.
So many variables now that my ongoing advice to use a hunting travel agent is more important than ever.
Regards,
Philip

Unless it has changed, the latest news from RSA was that international flights would not resume until Feb 2021, domestic December 2020.

Delta still shows the 777 For DL200 all the way to late April. I am wondering why, if they are really retiring all of the 777’s, they would not reprogram the booking system to reflect the new aircraft? Is there any chance they keep the one 777 just for this route? They are only fling half of their normal routes and have the time to update their booking system I’d think!
Regards
Philip

For those that use shuttles to get to the majors, Delta is dropping some domestic airport service.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daniel...ress-it-wouldnt-act-until-oct-1/#63883b646334

https://www.businessinsider.com/delta-will-stop-flying-to-11-us-cities-list-2020-6

Somewhat OT, it's a rare day when you see more bug smashers (flibs to ATC) than air carriers aloft.

https://flightaware.com/

What a shame, those poor folks in LA are going to have to fly private to Aspen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg