Deer Ridiculous

AES

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gents, I consistently laugh at paying actual American currency to shoot a "medium size" Whitetail that's around 150. That is a bit of hyperbole but, really, why would anyone pay to shoot a 130-160 5x5, 6x6; whatever? I get the idea that a farm has a cost to create a monster; they should be compensated if its farmed to a certain size. Point being, in the south (or S TX), just phone a friend an shoot whatever. There are 160s in yards daily. shooting bigger in a "guaranteed" situation seem much less fun than working hard for a deer in the back 40 . . .or taking a 150 out of my son's playhouse that i did last season in the middle of the city (bow). Fundamentally, I just find troubling the idea of paying someone to shoot a whitetail. Above 200 is a different story, but also a different "hunt" in most situations. This may not be a popular position . . . . whatever. The big boys just eat with the cows.

Where are these "150" bucks" everywhere at? I hunt and live in S TX and certainly not down here. There are ranches where 150 are very normal, but it's not because they just grew up like that. They are VERY highly managed ranches with supplemental feeding etc. None of that is free. In the '80's 150 bucks were rare, even for the best areas in S TX. The breeding and management game has changed that but access to them hasn't.

I'm a whitetail hunter and I simply do not participate in such silliness. I hunt the biggest, most mature bucks I can find but kill and eat anything that gets in my way...

I hope nobody ever pulls out a photo of a ranched deer and expects me to be impressed because I'll have a hard time faking it.

Where are these "150" bucks" everywhere at? I hunt and live in S TX and certainly not down here. There are ranches where 150 are very normal, but it's not because they just grew up like that. They are VERY highly managed ranches with supplemental feeding etc. None of that is free. In the '80's 150 bucks were rare, even for the best areas in S TX. The breeding and management game has changed that but access to them hasn't.
Buckhead in Atlanta, Ga or Hebbronville, TX …

For example, this is probably a 130 that I passed on at the end of last season. In hind sight, I should have shot him - he is declining and on his way out. Genetic cull for the area, though.

3549B894-4857-4478-BC60-11BF28C69E10.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a whitetail hunter and I simply do not participate in such silliness. I hunt the biggest, most mature bucks I can find but kill and eat anything that gets in my way...

I hope nobody ever pulls out a photo of a ranched deer and expects me to be impressed because I'll have a hard time faking it.
Said differently for me … I am massively impressed by mutant ranched deer. Just wouldn’t spend safari money to shoot one v going outside and shooting whatever. Nothing against it … I have a 51” Sable so no judgement lol

Considering Boone and Crockett minimum is 160, and they have a high standard I'm wondering what spot in the world you manage to see them all the time. Not in the places I've lived in Michigan, Florida or Georgia. In many areas a 130-150 may be a fine animal. Consider yourself fortunate.

As for why someone would pay for the privelage to hunt an apparently inferior animal. Well the same reason we pay to go to Africa and hunt a 50 or 52 inch kudu (I have one of each) even though the minimum for Rowland Ward is 54. It's still an amazing animal and we believe it's worth it. To each their own.

Last edited:
I won’t pay to hunt white tails in my home state Texas. That being said, I have been in a climbing stand or tree stand most weekends from Oct thru 1st weekend in January for the past 55 years. Have maybe seen 1 150”plus deer. One.

This the biggest whitetail I’ve ever seen personally while hunting in the 55 years I’ve hunted our area in East Texas. He MIGHT go 150. Friends of mine that raise deer 230 plus for sale and breeding say 148-154. And as for asking your friends to come shoot whatever, well you’ve obviously got different friends than me!
9A52C237-F882-43F9-B8AC-ADE6ECD789A5.jpeg
D960B48D-B157-42D6-BB07-676590CAD0F7.jpeg

I live in Texoma and have a deer lease. I also cull (mostly does) on several other leases. None of them are high fenced. In the counties where I hunt here in the Texoma area, a 160 will definitely be in the running to win the "big buck" contest. I shot a 156 a couple years ago and he took second.

Unless you have your own land, anywhere you hunt in Texas you are going to pay. Other exception if you have friends that AES has.

Safe hunting.

I'd love to see a 160 in the wild one day (never actually have seen one in the field)... but whitetail "size" really has never been important to me.. Im just as happy with an ancient 8 point.. or even a doe.. as I am with the occasional 130-140 class deer I might see every few years (most nice, mature bucks are mid to high 120's where I primarily hunt)..

I don't see a need to pay for a guided whitetail (or mule deer or sitka deer for that matter) hunt... I take my one or two a year, fill the freezer back up, spend a couple of weekends and a week over veterans day in camp with friends and family..

but for those that really want a "wall hanger" with a huge rack.. I don't disparage them.. pay as much as it is worth to you.. I know I have certainly paid a small fortune over the years to chase animals others wouldn't invest the same money in (we've got a sika deer hunt in Ireland coming up later this year that I could have bought a couple of 160 class whitetail for once you factor in the cost of travel, in addition to the costs associated with the hunt itself)

I live in IL. White tails are like rats. I wouldn't pay $5 to go hunt one anywhere. I wish they'd make the season all year like coyotes. We probably hit twice as many with cars here as we shoot.
I hear you, in Alabama I think its possible to kill 121 deer a year if you bow hunt. Only 3 can be bucks and 1 must have at least 4 points on one side. Season comes in October 15 archery and rifle comes in on the Saturday before thanksgiving. Both go out on the 10th of February. In a couple of counties I used to hunt this was totally possible. I do get a kick out of many people here think they see a 150 inch deer but they usually turn out to be mid 120’s or 130”. By the way if you kill a doe you can also shoot a buck and vice versa until your 3 bucks are shot.

As an East Texas guy I always dreamed of hunting some of those huge South Texas ranches while growing up. Back then it was pay $5,000-$8,000 and see what you can kill. Now everyone wants to charge by the inch. Never wanted to get an estimate on the bill before I pulled the trigger.

There are place now where you can pick a deer off of the website, they'll kill it for you, mount it, and send you the meat.

As an East Texas guy I always dreamed of hunting some of those huge South Texas ranches while growing up. Back then it was pay $5,000-$8,000 and see what you can kill. Now everyone wants to charge by the inch. Never wanted to get an estimate on the bill before I pulled the trigger.

There are place now where you can pick a deer off of the website, they'll kill it for you, mount it, and send you the meat.

Come on down to Hebbronville :)

Sad that some hunting has come to that

Said differently for me … I am massively impressed by mutant ranched deer. Just wouldn’t spend safari money to shoot one v going outside and shooting whatever. Nothing against it … I have a 51” Sable so no judgement lol
Where did you shoot your 51" Sable?

Considering Boone and Crockett minimum is 160, and they have a high standard I'm wondering what spot in the world you manage to see them all the time. Not in the places I've lived in Michigan, Florida or Georgia. In many areas a 130-150 may be a fine animal. Consider yourself fortunate.

As for why someone would pay for the privelage to hunt an apparently inferior animal. Well the same reason we pay to go to Africa and hunt a 50 or 52 inch kudu (I have one of each) even though the minimum for Rowland Ward is 54. It's still an amazing animal and we believe it's worth it. To each their own.
Kudu 53 7/8"....

Gents, I consistently laugh at paying actual American currency to shoot a "medium size" Whitetail that's around 150. That is a bit of hyperbole but, really, why would anyone pay to shoot a 130-160 5x5, 6x6; whatever? I get the idea that a farm has a cost to create a monster; they should be compensated if its farmed to a certain size. Point being, in the south (or S TX), just phone a friend an shoot whatever. There are 160s in yards daily. shooting bigger in a "guaranteed" situation seem much less fun than working hard for a deer in the back 40 . . .or taking a 150 out of my son's playhouse that i did last season in the middle of the city (bow). Fundamentally, I just find troubling the idea of paying someone to shoot a whitetail. Above 200 is a different story, but also a different "hunt" in most situations. This may not be a popular position . . . . whatever. The big boys just eat with the cows.
Leads appreciated on the free 160's. Sign me up!

We need some friends in Hebbronville! AES, when is a good time for us to come? You got a place for us to stay? I’ll bring my own steak.

Buckhead in Atlanta, Ga or Hebbronville, TX …

For example, this is probably a 130 that I passed on at the end of last season. In hind sight, I should have shot him - he is declining and on his way out. Genetic cull for the area, though.

View attachment 480619

If that is a 130 class deer, there must be some new deer "measuring" math I am not aware of. Absent looking at a better picture, looks like he might be a 110" deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg