Dangerous Game hunt course at the Africa Wildlife College -Practice round Part 1:Buffalo

Thanks for sharing the experience with us! Some great pics and explanations of what was going on

Neale/Ready0312, it is a pleasure ..(y)(y) I always enjoy uploading photos and taking the photos is a great joy for me...making a great story in using photos makes this more special...the only thing I talk about and use more is my 404 Jeffery...my camera is used maybe a little more...(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Some extra videos and photos :
Eugene shooting his .450 Rigby:

In this video Jacques shot Dr. Kevin Robinsoon`s .505 Gibbs.:

Some photos as well:
Two excellent shots, this was while the buffalo was lying down ...
feeiHLA.jpg

Jacques jnr shooting the 9.3x62 with a lot of confidence and accuracy..this rifle has already accounted for 635 buffalo shot ny Dr. Kevin Robinson...
sXhumDV.jpg

It is always great to be drive around in the bush..especially on a Land Cruiser..it makes you feel you are in Africa...
KUk60vI.jpg

0OjfRve.jpg
xRFWWut.jpg
6NiG37Z.jpg
l0I93YX.jpg
fHlnviQ.jpg
h4Ib07Z.jpg
Kn6Mal3.jpg
Here lies tracks that we still need to follow on another course next year, the elephant hunting course, some of these tracks we will follow in due time...like life, the journey begins by giving the first step as is in every one of our lives..our lives begin with the first step ,it ends with the last step as well..what matters really is what you have done with the time given to you when you gave that first step , setting your feet on a journey only you comprehend and experienced while walking through the life given to you , until your footsteps resounds no more, until silence covers your steps...
f9B3pC9.jpg

Attachments

• 0OjfRve.jpg
    0OjfRve.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 6NiG37Z.jpg
    6NiG37Z.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 187
  • f9B3pC9.jpg
    f9B3pC9.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 150
  • feeiHLA.jpg
    feeiHLA.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 161
  • fHlnviQ.jpg
    fHlnviQ.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 176
  • h4Ib07Z.jpg
    h4Ib07Z.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Kn6Mal3.jpg
    Kn6Mal3.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 136
  • KUk60vI.jpg
    KUk60vI.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 197
  • l0I93YX.jpg
    l0I93YX.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 142
  • sXhumDV.jpg
    sXhumDV.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 173
  • xRFWWut.jpg
    xRFWWut.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
It was a pleasure reading your training report. Thanks.

It will be excellent if a Canadian/US group gets together and books a week of dangerous game hunting training for 2019. Maybe it can be followed up with another week of PG/DG hunting nearby in Limpopo or Mpumalanga.

V Veritas,we actually discussed this around the campfire .This course will be extremely helpful for hunters who want to hunt buffalo . If you take our group for example, Eugene Groblar, who shot the .450 Rigby already shot a buffalo previously. Eugene mentioned that this was the best course he ever attended , he only wishes he had done it before hunting his buffalo. Even PH `s attending these courses said that they had learned a lot from Dr. Kevin Robinson and his assistants ..
I really want to do all the upcoming courses, the elephant, leopard , lion and rhino course if possible..(y)(y)

Thanks for all the work putting this thread together - a lot of fun to go through.

Do you recall what the Ruger No 1 was chambered in?

Tim

I'll second that... great thread, thanks!!

Tarbe, my apologies for taking so long to respond. The Ruger nr 1 .375 ( Gert van der Merwe ) was a extremely popular rifle on the course. Doc. Kevin liked it very much..according to him it is a perfect dangerous game hunting rifle. He told a story about the Nr.1 Ruger used in the Zimbabwe Ranger courses..it is an extremely tough course all prospective/older rangers participates in, every year . The person using the Ruger nr 1 was the most accurate /fast shot , winning the contest . (y)(y):LOL::LOL: Remember, it is a single shot rifle..it still win the contest..

I thoroughly enjoyed your report and photos. The effect hunting is having on the 8 - 11 year old bulls was extremely informative. I agree with the conclusions of the class that this issue needs to be addressed by the entire hunting community. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you kindly Sir.(y)(y)(y) This is what Dr. Kevin Robertson set out to achieve. He will approach all relevant hunting communities and appeal to them to review the term "Trophy " when hunting of buffalo is concerned. He/master degree students are going to scan 6000 buffalo across Africa to determine how many herd bulls/gene bulls in the eight to ten year parameters are still left thus determine how large the gene pool still is. This will be an enormous sample to use in their study but really good conclusions would be deducted from such a sample..(y)

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed your report and photos. The effect hunting is having on the 8 - 11 year old bulls was extremely informative. I agree with the conclusions of the class that this issue needs to be addressed by the entire hunting community. Thanks for sharing.
Seems very similar to the issue here in the states of trying to get hunters to not shoot nice 3 year old whitetails.

Tarbe, my apologies for taking so long to respond. The Ruger nr 1 .375 ( Gert van der Merwe ) was a extremely popular rifle on the course. Doc. Kevin liked it very much..according to him it is a perfect dangerous game hunting rifle. He told a story about the Nr.1 Ruger used in the Zimbabwe Ranger courses..it is an extremely tough course all prospective/older rangers participates in, every year . The person using the Ruger nr 1 was the most accurate /fast shot , winning the contest . (y)(y):LOL::LOL: Remember, it is a single shot rifle..it still win the contest..
Very sweet!

I have been playing with this platform for about 42 years.

My training with it will take on a whole new level now that my wife and I are starting to plan our first DG hunt!

I would love to have some discussions with the above mentioned No 1 user!! He no doubt has some things to teach a novice like me.

On a previous visit to an old gentleman who has a Martini Henry since I wanted to know from him what loads he uses, he showed me a Ruger Nr 1 Tropical version in a .458 Win Mag caliber, man, what a beautiful rifle..If ever I get a chance to purchase a Ruger nr 1 , it will be the .458 Win Mag Tropical caliber...it really is a great rifle to hold in your hands and handle it as well...Dr. Kevin told Gert van der Merwe, the person who participated in the Zimbabwean Ranger course had a sleeve stitched to his left shoulder with five openings like a webbing where the rounds were seated ..he then was able to reload extremely fast since all he had to do was plucked the rounds from this piece of webbing on his left shoulder and chambered them as fast as possible...(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg