Dakota 76

Earle

AH veteran
Joined
Jun 9, 2019
Messages
234
Reaction score
332
Location
Ontario, Canada
Media
5
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Got a question for you guy's that know a little more than me about the higher end rifles. I have an itch for a 450 Rigby. Actually thinking about having one built, but i came across a listing for a Dakota African Pro Hunter in 450 cal. It is graded as "excellent" and lists for around $3500US Unless i'm mistaken with my research, that seems like a low price. Just wondering your opinions before i bother to go and look at it. Thanks for any knowledge you can give me.
 
I've bought them for more and for less! The 450 has never been real popular, and depending on wood and other options maybe a great buy! Bought one in 375AI a year ago with great wood for $2900.
The owner had exact same gun in 300WM he sold for $5250! If it is a pre Remington gun you will love it!
 
Just to cloud the issue, it is a composite stock model with 30mm Talley QD rings
 
i have never owned a dakota rifle, but i built my 280 on a m76 action.
the rifle is probably my best friend, and is the result of many years experience with many rifles.
the action is very smooth, and accuracy is good.
it is now on its second barrel.
the beauty of the action is that up front it is mauser breeching - the best there is, and at the rear it is m70, what is normally done to that part of a mauser for good hunting rifles.
the only difference is the bolt release.
my rifle has a brown precision synthetic stock, and holds zero uncannily.
the action was designed by pete grisel.
when i got mine, the actions were pre heat treated, then the machining was done, meaning that no truing was required, just have a properly chambered barrel screwed in.
my action has close tolerences, but not benchrest tight.
the standing ejector can get slow if gummy oil gums up in there, but using something thin like ballistol has made that go away.
when i am down to i rifle, this will be it.
bruce.
 
I had a Dakota 76 in 458 Lott with a synthetic stock. It was a nice rifle, however in the synthetic version, I couldn't see a huge difference between it and my Winchester 70 with a Mcmillan stock. The 450 Rigby would definitely be a handful in a lightweight rifle.
 
toby,
you are right, the m70 is not far behind the dakota.
if i lost mine i would redo it with a m70 for cost reasons at my current age.
your rifle in a mcmillan would be a very stable platform.
bruce.
 
I have used a .416 RM ( Remington Magnum ) calibre Dakota Model 76 to hunt black bear in the United States . These rifles are truly the pinnacles of American craftsmanship . But may I inquire why you wish to own a .450 Rigby and not a .450 Dakota ?
 
For YOU to say THAT...:oops:
It must be a real kicker.
It's not that I like recoil, or am even unsensitive to it. It's just that I hate heavy, unwieldy rifles more than I hate recoil. The way I see it, you carry a rifle much more than you shoot it in the field. So, an 8.5 lb or 9 lb rifle (including scope and sling) that carries like a deer rifle in the field is in my mind the best way to go. If the recoil is a bit stout to shoot at the range, you can always download a bit for practice, then load up to hunting velocities when the time comes. Or, you can just choose a caliber that is comfortable to shoot at full strength. This is why I prefer the 375 and 404/416 rifles to all else. They are manageable with full loads, and don't require a heavy rifle to tame their recoil. Once you get above 400 grains at 2400 fps, then the weight of the rifle would probably need to go up accordingly to arrive at a shootable package with full loads. A 450 Rigby in a 9lb rifle would definitely be more than I would care to shoot at full strength, for more than a time or two.
 
It's not that I like recoil, or am even unsensitive to it. It's just that I hate heavy, unwieldy rifles more than I hate recoil. The way I see it, you carry a rifle much more than you shoot it in the field. So, an 8.5 lb or 9 lb rifle (including scope and sling) that carries like a deer rifle in the field is in my mind the best way to go. If the recoil is a bit stout to shoot at the range, you can always download a bit for practice, then load up to hunting velocities when the time comes. Or, you can just choose a caliber that is comfortable to shoot at full strength. This is why I prefer the 375 and 404/416 rifles to all else. They are manageable with full loads, and don't require a heavy rifle to tame their recoil. Once you get above 400 grains at 2400 fps, then the weight of the rifle would probably need to go up accordingly to arrive at a shootable package with full loads. A 450 Rigby in a 9lb rifle would definitely be more than I would care to shoot at full strength, for more than a time or two.
I hope one day to shoot like a girl.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,437
Messages
1,576,194
Members
170,532
Latest member
Joellen17B
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top