CZ 550 Custom Safari

c e h,
what a dilemma you have!
you asked what I would do so for what it costs you here goes.
I do not have the time to do all the testing and checking required for the so called custom taylor, even if it is totally o.k.
to me the 416 rigby is a dinosaur from the cordite days, and is just too big for what you need it for.
the taylor appeals to me more on a practical basis.
paying for a rigby rifle panders to the law of diminishing returns for the dollar.
great to have a genuine rigby in 416 rigby, but if you take your hand off it you can do just as well for a lot less money, and spend that on ammo practicing shooting.
in my case a new m70 in 416 rem would have a warranty that might be meaningful in a practical 416 chambering.
bruce.
This is very sound reasoning Bruce and I wholeheartedly agree that the .416 Rigby appeal was, to me at least, mostly romantic. You are 100% correct that the big case is not needed today, unless you want to make it a flamethrower a la .416 Wby. In traditional Rigby loads it still runs at lower pressure than the .416 Rem, but, as previously noted, this is not a big deal anymore...

I also wholeheartedly agree that buying a Rigby brand rifle is super, super nice for those who can afford it (I probably would if money was no consideration, but I cannot) but this London address engraving on the barrel sure comes at a pretty penny. I am personally happy with a financially modest rifle built on the very same tuned-up CZ double square bridge magnum action that Rigby themselves used for years to build their $15,000 rifle before Mauser recently restarted producing magnum length 98 actions... A $1,000 new CZ 550 rifle is a screaming deal in term of value in the rifle world, even though it may require a bit of TLC to become the functional (not the aesthetic) equivalent of a $15,000 Rigby...

Not to belabor the CZ point, but to keep feeding into CoElkHunter's analysis, what the CZ 550 factually offers over the Winchester M70 (regardless of caliber) is still very valuable in my opinion:

1 - Maybe I have been extraordinary unlucky, or been around extraordinary unlucky folks, but I have seen with my own eyes at least half a dozen cases of loose bases/rings on high caliber rifles, including .458 Lott, .450 Watts (twin brother to the .458 Lott), .416 Hoffman, and a few other DG calibers from the 90's when about anything other than the .458 Win (or .460 Wby for those men-enough to shoot it well) was custom. I lived in Connecticut at the time, these were expensive custom rifles owned by folks financially well to do, and these included rifles put together by really reputable gunsmiths who knew what they were doing. It also happened to me on a .340 Wby Mark V that shook its bases in the course of 60 rounds in 2 weeks on my 2018 Safari, and Lord knows I had mounted them carefully: matted the contact surfaces; holes re-drilled and tapped to 8x40; degreased all the threads; Red Loctite-d all the screws; torqued appropriately with torque wrench; etc. etc. The CZ has integral bases machined in its double square bridge, they will never loosen up...

2 - Same story goes for iron sights screwed on the barrel. I lost the front sight on a delightful semi custom, made in Germany, KDF Titan .375 H&H, and I have seen a few of the aforementioned high grade rifles missing either front or rear iron sights after a few boxes of ammo. The CZ has an integral island machined in its barrel for the rear sight, it will never fall off the rifle, and it has a barrel band front sight which will also never fall...

3 - Less importantly, but still real, is that fact that the CZ has a 5+1 capacity with the H&H belted case family of cartridge, while the Win 70 is limited to 3 +1. It is likely not an issue in 99.99% of cases, but the day you need those extra 2 rounds on a charging buff, you are likely to need them bad... Based on countless videos and stories, if the first round does not do the work, one is likely to be happier with 6 than 4... I have not experienced this personally, as my buff was a one round buff (with .470 NE) but there is a rather infamous video (currently on AH home page) of a TV host running out of ammo on a buff. Blessedly, the buff did not charge...

To be 100% impartial, the BIG advantage the Win M 70 has over the CZ is that it comes factory equipped with a TRUE mechanical safety, i.e. a safety that is mounted on the bolt, and that locks the firing pin: the rightfully famous "Winchester 3 positions safety." Conversely, the CZ has an action mounted safety that blocks the sear. The rifle can still fire accidentally if the cocking piece jumps the sear for whatever reason (a hard fall being the most likely suspect). Luckily, any good gunsmith can retrofit an after market Win 70 type safety on the CZ for about $300 and correct this very real shortcoming from the factory...

In view of the above, my own .416 Rem would be a CZ rather than a Win 70, but I still own 3 Win 70 in lesser calibers and love them :)

Last edited:
I just sent a message through GB to the seller, who is a dealer. We’ll see if/what response I’ll get?
I just heard back from the seller/dealer on the Taylor. He stated the only thing he knows about the rifle is that it was built by a gunsmith who was going to hunt buffalo in Africa, but his hunting partner fell ill and couldn’t go with him, so he didn’t go and now here’s the rifle for sale? Mystery? Plot thickens? Who knows?

This is very sound reasoning Bruce and I wholeheartedly agree that the .416 Rigby appeal was, to me at least, mostly romantic. You are 100% correct that the big case is not needed today, unless you want to make it a flamethrower a la .416 Wby. In traditional Rigby loads it still runs at lower pressure than the .416 Rem, but, as previously noted, this is not a big deal anymore...

I also wholeheartedly agree that buying a Rigby brand rifle is super, super nice for those who can afford it (I probably would if money was no consideration, but I cannot) but this London address engraving on the barrel sure comes at a pretty penny. I am personally happy with a financially modest rifle built on the very same tuned-up CZ double square bridge magnum action that Rigby themselves used for years to build their $15,000 rifle before Mauser recently restarted producing magnum length 98 actions... A $1,000 new CZ 550 rifle is a screaming deal in term of value in the rifle world, even though it may require a bit of TLC to become the functional (not the aesthetic) equivalent of a $15,000 Rigby...

Not to belabor the CZ point, but to keep feeding into CoElkHunter's analysis, what the CZ 550 factually offers over the Winchester M70 (regardless of caliber) is still very valuable in my opinion:

1 - Maybe I have been extraordinary unlucky, or been around extraordinary unlucky folks, but I have seen with my own eyes at least half a dozen cases of loose bases/rings on high caliber rifles, including .458 Lott, .450 Watts (twin brother to the .458 Lott), .416 Hoffman, and a few other DG calibers from the 90's when about anything other than the .458 Win (or .460 Wby for those men-enough to shoot it well) was custom. I lived in Connecticut at the time, these were expensive custom rifles owned by folks financially well to do, and these included rifles put together by really reputable gunsmiths who knew what they were doing. It also happened to me on a .340 Wby Mark V that shook its bases in the course of 60 rounds in 2 weeks on my 2018 Safari, and Lord knows I had mounted them carefully: matted the contact surfaces; holes re-drilled and tapped to 8x40; degreased all the threads; Red Loctite-d all the screws; torqued appropriately with torque wrench; etc. etc. The CZ has integral bases machined in its double square bridge, they will never loosen up...

2 - Same story goes for iron sights screwed on the barrel. I lost the front sight on a delightful semi custom, made in Germany, KDF Titan .375 H&H, and I have seen a few of the aforementioned high grade rifles missing either front or rear iron sights after a few boxes of ammo. The CZ has an integral island machined in its barrel for the rear sight, it will never fall off the rifle, and it has a barrel band front sight which will also never fall...

3 - Less importantly, but still real, is that fact that the CZ has a 5+1 capacity with the H&H belted case family of cartridge, while the Win 70 is limited to 3 +1. It is likely not an issue in 99.99% of cases, but the day you need those extra 2 rounds on a charging buff, you are likely to need them bad... Based on countless videos and stories, if the first round does not do the work, one is likely to be happier with 6 than 4... I have not experienced this personally, as my buff was a one round buff (with .470 NE) but there is a rather infamous video (currently on AH home page) of a TV host running out of ammo on a buff. Blessedly, the buff did not charge...

To be 100% impartial, the BIG advantage the Win M 70 has over the CZ is that it comes factory equipped with a TRUE mechanical safety, i.e. a safety that is mounted on the bolt, and that locks the firing pin: the rightfully famous "Winchester 3 positions safety." Conversely, the CZ has an action mounted safety that blocks the sear. The rifle can still fire accidentally if the cocking piece jumps the sear for whatever reason (a hard fall being the most likely suspect). Luckily, any good gunsmith can retrofit an after market Win 70 type safety on the CZ for about $300 and correct this very real shortcoming from the factory...

In view of the above, my own .416 Rem would be a CZ rather than a Win 70, but I still own 3 Win 70 in lesser calibers and love them :)
One Day,
Is it safe (without hangfires) to slightly download a large capacity case like the Rigby for practice shooting? I’ve read where it’s not too much of an issue with smaller capacity cases?
Thanks!
CEH

Barnes offers a 300 gr TSX that ought to be quite the ticket for both gentle practice loads or screaming fast, flat-shooting PG loads. I believe that a number of folks on AH have developed loads for it.
I am not a reloader, so I do not have personal experience, but I understand that a lot of people have developed light loads for DG calibers, either involving bulkier powders, or (a grand classic for double rifle Nitro Express cases) a light filler (pillow stuffing I think it was) or cork wad over the powder charge.

Barnes offers a 300 gr TSX that ought to be quite the ticket for both gentle practice loads or screaming fast, flat-shooting PG loads. I believe that a number of folks on AH have developed loads for it.
I am not a reloader, so I do not have personal experience, but I understand that a lot of people have developed light loads for DG calibers, either involving bulkier powders, or (a grand classic for double rifle Nitro Express cases) a light filler (pillow stuffing I think it was) or cork wad over the powder charge.
Interesting! We’ll I missed the bids on both the Taylor and Rigby, but they’ve been reposted on GB. Off this subject, but have you shot the Lott, and if so, how is the recoil compared to the Rigby? Thanks!

I own a .458 Lott (see https://www.africahunting.com/media/cz-550-416-rigby-rifle-mauser-66-458-lott-rifle.61217/).
Mine is a telescopic action Mauser 66. At 8 1/2 lbs it is a joy to carry, but it is simply too light in my judgment. It produces about 80 ft/lbs of recoil. Even in a 10 lbs rifle, recoil will still be about 70 ft/lbs: about 35% more than the .458 Win. I never put a scope on it, instead I have a Docter III reflex sight installed on the barrel, far from my eye, so I have never hurt myself shooting it, but there is just no two ways about it: recoil is fast and brutal. Even though I know what is coming, I am always a bit shocked by the first round. After that, it's OK, I am back in the habit, but more than a dozen rounds give me a headache, the sure symptom of a mild concussion.
Everyone has their own recoil threshold, mine seems to be around 70 lbs. with fast loads. Conversely, by the math my 11 1/2 lbs .470 NE Kreighoff (see https://www.africahunting.com/media/kreighoff-classic-big-five-470-ne.65769/) also recoils close to 70 lbs (67 to be specific), but it is a totally different feeling and I can shoot it "all day long"...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!