CZ 458 Lott

kiwihunter 260

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
New Zealand Deer Stalkers
I have owned a cz 458 lott lux hog back what is the differancs between the hog back and the safari HAS ANYONE SHOT BOTH what felt better etc

I'm not sure either will feel better on a 458 Lott!

I suppose here's an excuse for me to give the video I promised. Yes, the chrono survived; that was just the air blast. This is the straight stock CZ .458 Lott. I cannot comment on the hogback, but I can get the sights lined up better than I thought I'd be able to on this one, even with the (very welcome) cheek/stock pad. I thought I was going to want a hogback stock (I don't think they make one for the 458 Lott...?), but I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

Woodleigh 500gr FMJ, 78gr IMR 4064, Hornady brass, WLRM primers, 2285ft/s, 25" barrel. I think I'll be able to hold my stance a bit better with more practice.

I am not sure what "hog back" your talking about. I assume that you mean a Weatherby style stock. I have a CZ 458 Lott, and I don"t see a Weatherby stock (I own one) being the answer for recoil. Mercury recoil reducers, increased weight, quality recoil pad, and lastly porting if needed.
My CZ has a beautiful Turkish walnut stock, and solid stock pins in place. I intend to enhance this stock, not discard it.
My suggestion would be to actually shoot a 458 Lott before buying one. It is much more recoil than what most are used to. Then decide is maybe it is worth moving up to 458 Lott. There are many calibers that are "buffalo " worthy that have less recoil.
I am no expert, there are many here that are. Maybe they can comment?

Photos of the two versions shown below. I asked @AZDAVE a while back about the two versions. He mentioned the hog back drop helped with sighting with iron sights, while the straight stock was more suited for a scope.

Hog back
cz-usa-cz-550-safari-magnum-500x334.png

American Safari or straight or non-hog-back
ASMFancy-500x333.png

Attachments

• cz-usa-cz-550-safari-magnum-500x334.png
    cz-usa-cz-550-safari-magnum-500x334.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 170
  • ASMFancy-500x333.png
    ASMFancy-500x333.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 142
Thank you for the pictures, I was thinking that was the design. I like my Weatherby rifle stocked that way. My CZ I prefer the straight stock, but to each their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!