CZ 458 Lott

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by kiwihunter 260, Feb 28, 2017.

1. kiwihunter 260

kiwihunter 260 AH Member

Member of:
    New Zealand Deer Stalkers
    I have owned a cz 458 lott lux hog back what is the differancs between the hog back and the safari HAS ANYONE SHOT BOTH what felt better etc

CAustin likes this.

2. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    I'm not sure either will feel better on a 458 Lott!

LivingTheDream likes this.

3. Benevolence

Benevolence New Member

I suppose here's an excuse for me to give the video I promised. Yes, the chrono survived; that was just the air blast. This is the straight stock CZ .458 Lott. I cannot comment on the hogback, but I can get the sights lined up better than I thought I'd be able to on this one, even with the (very welcome) cheek/stock pad. I thought I was going to want a hogback stock (I don't think they make one for the 458 Lott...?), but I'm enjoying this one quite a bit.

Woodleigh 500gr FMJ, 78gr IMR 4064, Hornady brass, WLRM primers, 2285ft/s, 25" barrel. I think I'll be able to hold my stance a bit better with more practice.

4. Edward Wright

Edward Wright AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA-life
    Hunted:
    Quebec, Newfoundland, Wyoming, Kentucky, South Carolina, Indiana
    I am not sure what "hog back" your talking about. I assume that you mean a Weatherby style stock. I have a CZ 458 Lott, and I don"t see a Weatherby stock (I own one) being the answer for recoil. Mercury recoil reducers, increased weight, quality recoil pad, and lastly porting if needed.
    My CZ has a beautiful Turkish walnut stock, and solid stock pins in place. I intend to enhance this stock, not discard it.
    My suggestion would be to actually shoot a 458 Lott before buying one. It is much more recoil than what most are used to. Then decide is maybe it is worth moving up to 458 Lott. There are many calibers that are "buffalo " worthy that have less recoil.
    I am no expert, there are many here that are. Maybe they can comment?

5. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Photos of the two versions shown below. I asked @AZDAVE a while back about the two versions. He mentioned the hog back drop helped with sighting with iron sights, while the straight stock was more suited for a scope.

Hog back
    [​IMG]

American Safari or straight or non-hog-back
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Edward Wright

Edward Wright AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA-life
    Hunted:
    Quebec, Newfoundland, Wyoming, Kentucky, South Carolina, Indiana
    Thank you for the pictures, I was thinking that was the design. I like my Weatherby rifle stocked that way. My CZ I prefer the straight stock, but to each their own.