Custom Merkel 140ae Trijicon RMR mount

P-J

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Alberta, BC,
I thought I would share this for those interested. It took awhile and cost as much as the RMR due to 3D modelling and scanning the firearm but I am very happy with the fit and cheek weld while in use. I also managed to get it low enough the irons are still visible and somewhat useable but by no means co-witness.

It does shoulder nice and naturally lines up to my eyes so it should perform well.

Cerecote colour was midnight blue for a nice finish.

340979956_3526489417594068_2126828024775125001_n.jpg
341046840_1368379050579025_8240721828119537764_n.jpg

m1.jpg
m5.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

Last edited:
I thought I would share this for those interested. It took awhile and cost as much as the RMR due to 3D modelling and scanning the firearm but I am very happy with the fit and cheek weld while in use. I also managed to get it low enough the irons are still visible and somewhat useable but by no means co-witness.

It does shoulder nice and naturally lines up to my eyes so it should perform well.

View attachment 529687View attachment 529688
View attachment 529689View attachment 529690

View attachment 529691
View attachment 529692
View attachment 529693
That looks great! I don’t think you can get lower than that!

View attachment 529687View attachment 529688
View attachment 529689View attachment 529690

View attachment 529691
View attachment 529692
View attachment 529693
Really appreciate your post. JJ is putting one on for me for my SRO for my 470

Thats really cool. Where could I purchase one?

I can inquire at the machine shop I had cut it, but this was really just a one off as nobody offered what I wanted and I didn't want to mill the gun at all

Awesome thank you. Did u already have the screw holes drilled into the removable scope piece or did they drill into the vent rib

Awesome thank you. Did u already have the screw holes drilled into the removable scope piece or did they drill into the vent rib
same question I had. My Merkle just has the complete rib with no take out section. It is a 140 AE Safari. My questions are the following please:
1. Does your Merkle have the same thing as mine...no take out section already there as their 160's have?
2. If not, how does your mount bolt on?
3. If it is a bolt on, I would love to buy one from your gun smith versus having to get JJ to mill my mount.

Please let us know...greatly appreciated!!!

The firearm was not modified in anyway. It had the factory removable dovetail. this was built to utilize this cut out. If I was going to mill the gun I could have achieved co-witness.

The new mount bolts on with the same two factory allen head screws that the dovetail used.

I'm not sure how it works here for posting links to companies but if its ok I will. Great local shop who specializes in high end tactical builds mostly.

g1.jpg

@P-J I'd also be interested in one if the machine shop could make another pretty easily. I was going to get it done at some point locally but if it's already been looked at and measurements and what not have been saved, it makes sense to have it done there.

You just made me want one for my Merkel

Congratulations on a very nice solution.

Although not a trivial task, and somewhat expensive, I believe it would be possible to engineer a mount in such a way as to get it lower.

Two factors make these mounts thicker than they need to be:
i. Most are machined from aluminium which requires greater thickness than steel (or titanium) for strength.
ii. The base plate sections of most mounts are drilled and tapped to take the sight attachment screws. This leads to a minimum thickness in order to get sufficient thread engagement.

The Shield company encountered this problem when they designed their mount for the Glock MOS system. Their solution was two part. Firstly they made the mount out of steel and used thin headed screws to attach to the slide. Then, instead of having the base thick enough for threading, they designed the mount so that the sight attachment screws threaded into raised pillars. This enabled the Red Dot sight to be low enough to co-witness with standard sights.

1682203891724.png

This would be an expensive project for an individual to design, machine and test a similar approach for double rifles. However it should be a piece of cake for any of the double rifle manufactures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.