Has Williams quick detach rings with 1" bases
Very good trigger
Very nice old school big bore
$1000 shipped
More pics available on request
IMG_7410.JPG
IMG_7421.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a gun meant to work. Pretty piece of wood too. I note that it appears to still have military safety. How did that work with scope? Trying to figure out the rear sight setup. Is it mounted on a shroud over the receiver/barrel? Interesting.

My Springfield cycles smooth as glass. Great guns.

The military safety is short enough to clear scope.
Yes the rear sight has been mounted over the receiver.

Hard to tell from the photo but it appears to have a blind magazine (no floor plate), correct? If so, very nicely done.

No it has a steel floor plate they just did a very good job in letting it into the stock.

Interested...

Quick searching around the web found articles talking about the early 03A3 actions being brittle. This gun looks to have been run a good bit... I'm guessing you've never had any trouble with it? It feeds okay?

I'm also guessing it only holds two in the magazine?

Just for giggles; does anyone know/have experience if this action would accommodate the .458 Lott?

Many thanks,

Ed Z

Interested...

Quick searching around the web found articles talking about the early 03A3 actions being brittle. This gun looks to have been run a good bit... I'm guessing you've never had any trouble with it? It feeds okay?

I'm also guessing it only holds two in the magazine?

Just for giggles; does anyone know/have experience if this action would accommodate the .458 Lott?

Many thanks,

Ed Z
Springfield holds FIVE 30-06 shells in the magazine. I would be surprised if this one is not 3+1. The 8mm Mauser I'm building into 404 Jeffery holds three easily in the magazine. Just a minor extension makes it 4+1.

458 Lott might be doable but probably requires lapping the main bolt lugs to "activate" the third safety lug which, except in the event of gun blowing apart, is typically cosmetic.

I have seen Springfields built into 7mm mags and 300 WM but this is the first time I've seen one 458. But I see no reason why we don't see more of them. Personally, I find it a much nicer action than Mauser 98 which seems to be a favorite for builds.

There were only a few years when Springfield actions had a few (actually VERY few) issues with receivers not being properly hardened. Very early in production run. WWI as I recall. Easy to check the numbers. Most of that series were cycled out to the scrap pile. Some made it into private sector. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those now rare guns from that series. Get it properly checked for hardness and hardened if needed. Good to go.

Last edited:
@xausa used to own an almost identical .458 Winchester Magnum that was built on a Springfield Model 1903A3 action. And it’s without a doubt, the most beautiful bolt action rifle that I’ve ever laid eyes on. I’ve lusted after that .458 for years.

Actually, that .458 WM was based on a 1903 Springfield. The 03A3 models are pretty crude wartime manufacture rifles, with a number of stamped parts. This was my rifle:

Hartley.PNG

The metal work was by the late Harry Creighton and the stock by the late Hal Hartley. A Lyman Alaskan scope in a Griffin & Howe side mount, selected partly because of its long eye relief. The sighting arrangement included a Lyman 48 receiver sight and a Redfield ramp and Sourdough front sight. I would like to think that its eventual owner took it to Africa at some point.

Let’s do $800 shipped last price drop before I try to sell it other places.

03A3s should all be good. The early 03s could be brittle.
Yes, all O3A3s are plenty strong.
That is a very good price on a fine rifle.

You could run a tight patch through the bore and calculate the twist. Some might be interested in that detail.

Last edited:
Also, what are the 3 pins that look like they go through the stock?

Never shot this one.

I assume those pins are like cross bolts to strengthen the stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.